Glock Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, first Glock, a Gen 3 22. Shoots pretty well so far. Has the 3.5 connector installed and have the 4 lb striker spring and 6lb trigger spring in the mail. Wanting to tame the recoil just a bit. I think I saw that these guns come factory with a 17lb recoil spring, do I want to go with a little stronger spring say 19lbs to help a little with the recoil? Any adverse effects to the gun or my accuracy by going this route? Any need to upgrade to a ss guide rod? Any suggestions/info appreciated!

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
First let me say welcome to the Forum, I hope you like it here.
With that out of the way, let me make one observation. Now, I'm not not an armorer but from the experience of others I've learned that changing the weight of the recoil spring can cause issues like failure to feed/failure to eject. I don't don't personally know the proper weights for the recoil spring if each Glock model, but I would definitely be careful what you choose to change it to.

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
So, first Glock, a Gen 3 22. Shoots pretty well so far. Has the 3.5 connector installed and have the 4 lb striker spring and 6lb trigger spring in the mail. Wanting to tame the recoil just a bit. I think I saw that these guns come factory with a 17lb recoil spring, do I want to go with a little stronger spring say 19lbs to help a little with the recoil? Any adverse effects to the gun or my accuracy by going this route? Any need to upgrade to a ss guide rod? Any suggestions/info appreciated!
If it is a carry gun, don't change out the spring please. To tame recoil, you can adjust grip. Watch this video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhTA-n0ivE[/ame]

In addition to that, push out slightly with your main grip hand and pull in slightly with your support hand. These two things have helped me greatly with accuracy, recoil, and follow up shots. Try it and see if it works for you. the grip he describes in the video is a but awkward at first so try it out for a little while before you write it off.

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First let me say welcome to the Forum, I hope you like it here.
With that out of the way, let me make one observation. Now, I'm not not an armorer but from the experience of others I've learned that changing the weight of the recoil spring can cause issues like failure to feed/failure to eject. I don't don't personally know the proper weights for the recoil spring if each Glock model, but I would definitely be careful what you choose to change it to.
RRoss, yep, my thoughts exactly, so just looking for info from those who have successfully worked to change their 22s up. Not a carry weapon, and the recoil is not bad, just a bit more noticeable than on my 40p.

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is a carry gun, don't change out the spring please. To tame recoil, you can adjust grip. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhTA-n0ivE

In addition to that, push out slightly with your main grip hand and pull in slightly with your support hand. These two things have helped me greatly with accuracy, recoil, and follow up shots. Try it and see if it works for you. the grip he describes in the video is a but awkward at first so try it out for a little while before you write it off.

Jimmy, not a carry gun, that's my CZ P01. The recoil is not bad, just a bit more than on my 40p. Just looking to soften it up a bit. Thanks for the video, I use a similar grip already, but my recoil is not nearly as smooth as his in the video (or at least controlled) so I will be paying close attention to my grip in coming range sessions.

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
Jimmy, not a carry gun, that's my CZ P01. The recoil is not bad, just a bit more than on my 40p. Just looking to soften it up a bit. Thanks for the video, I use a similar grip already, but my recoil is not nearly as smooth as his in the video (or at least controlled) so I will be paying close attention to my grip in coming range sessions.
If you use the grip he is using with the push/pull technique I mentioned it will definitely help. If it isn't a carry gun then I'd say go ahead and experiment with the springs, although I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Travis might be shooting a 9mm.
He is, but the principle is universal and really does tame the recoil even of a .40.

·
1,611 Posts
He is, but the principle is universal and really does tame the recoil even of a .40.
True, and next time I go to the range I'll be trying it "live". I have been practicing my "drawing & aiming" everyday for awhile. I am ready to punch some holes in targets.
There is an IDPA shoot scheduled for August 11 in Dunn, NC. I have never participated in one, and am considering it, a buddy from church has invited me.

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
True, and next time I go to the range I'll be trying it "live". I have been practicing my "drawing & aiming" everyday for awhile. I am ready to punch some holes in targets.
There is an IDPA shoot scheduled for August 11 in Dunn, NC. I have never participated in one, and am considering it, a buddy from church has invited me.
Sounds like fun! I don't have the time or money to compete or train for those shoots although it seems fun.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Changing recoil springs to lighter helps the slide
Cycle faster for quicker follow up shots and helps a little with felt recoil. To really tame it the gun needs more weight (hence why steel guns feel like they have less recoil).

You can add a Tungsten guide rod and either a heavy magwell or the Seattle Slug (which installs in the heel of the grip). This will give more weight and help with recoil and reloads.

·
Just One Glock
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the tips. Trying to wrap my head around the recoil...my first inclination is to think that a heavier spring (bought a 19lb spring and steel guide rod from Wolff) would reduce recoil by providing more resistance to the slide in it's rearward path, but now I see maybe I am mistaken and a lighter spring providing less resistance will allow the slide to travel rearward easier.....wouldn't that allow for a stronger bump when the slide impacts at the rear of it's movement? I will have to try out a few setups to see what works. Besides the spring/guide rod, I also added a 4.5 lb striker spring, 3.5 connector, reduced power safety block plunger spring and 6 lb trigger spring. Will find some time to do the .25 buff soon. Had an hour or two to kill today so I cerakoted the slide in stainless steel. This thing is beginning to grow on my, thinking about getting a 19...

·
Glockn Rollin
2,656 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. Trying to wrap my head around the recoil...my first inclination is to think that a heavier spring (bought a 19lb spring and steel guide rod from Wolff) would reduce recoil by providing more resistance to the slide in it's rearward path, but now I see maybe I am mistaken and a lighter spring providing less resistance will allow the slide to travel rearward easier.....wouldn't that allow for a stronger bump when the slide impacts at the rear of it's moment? I will have to try out a few setups to see what works. Besides the spring/guide rod, I also added a 4.5 lb striker spring, 3.5 connector, reduced power safety block plunger spring and 6 lb trigger spring. Will find some time to do the .25 buff soon. Had an hour or two to kill today so I cerakoted the slide in stainless steel. This thing is beginning to grow on my, thinking about getting a 19...

Nice job on the Cerakote! How hard was it to do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts