Glock Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my glock is now at 1,020 rounds with absolutely zero problems. I know people say that you should break the slide down every thousand rounds, take the striker out, plunger, extractor back plate, firing block or whatever and so on. I was wondering if you guys do that every thousand or what. Any time I have some free time I will break the slide down and thoroughly clean it even before it was at a thousand but that's only bc this glock is my only firearm.

Let me know what you guys do and how often.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I just broke down the slide and gave it a cleaning this weekend. Never thought about the round count. I only did it because it started to feel gritty and saw lots of carbon and sand in the channel. But now that I think of it I have put 1000 rounds through it in the last few months. A lot smoother now.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just broke mine down for the 1st time and one has in excess of 20,000 and another has more than that! There is no compelling need to break them down at any particular intervals. I have always flushed mine out with breakfree or hoppe's #9 and they give reliable service. I believe that taking them apart that often is asking for problems. But I will guarantee that I am a Minority on that view!

·
55 Posts
I normaly only break my slide down when Ive gotten it covered in mud or dirt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in the upwards area of 2200 rounds with out breaking it down all the way and still going strong

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sgtcowboyusmc said:
I just broke mine down for the 1st time and one has in excess of 20,000 and another has more than that! There is no compelling need to break them down at any particular intervals. I have always flushed mine out with breakfree or hoppe's #9 and they give reliable service. I believe that taking them apart that often is asking for problems. But I will guarantee that I am a Minority on that view!
I'm sure It doesn't "need" to be done, but I feel it can't hurt. Mine is always dirty even after 200 rounds. I have only one firearm so it's not hard to keep it clean. Hickok said he does his every 1000 rounds and has for years so I'm thinking it's alright.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
spencer17 said:
I'm sure It doesn't "need" to be done, but I feel it can't hurt. Mine is always dirty even after 200 rounds. I have only one firearm so it's not hard to keep it clean. Hickok said he does his every 1000 rounds and has for years so I'm thinking it's alright.

It's your gun so do what you think is right for it. If it works for you then do it. Plus I don't think it'll do any harm and if it does replacement parts are cheap.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's why we all love Glocks. Can be completely stripped down easily. I totally strip clean my Glocks after each range visit. Regardless whether if i only shoot 100, 200 or 300 rounds out of it. I just feel happier when they are clean.
Just like my working car, i put 3000 miles each month. Never skipped any oil changes, brake pads changes or visiting car wash. You care for it, it will run as new and gives you no problems.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okdonk said:
That's why we all love Glocks. Can be completely stripped down easily. I totally strip clean my Glocks after each range visit. Regardless whether if i only shoot 100, 200 or 300 rounds out of it. I just feel happier when they are clean.
Just like my working car, i put 3000 miles each month. Never skipped any oil changes, brake pads changes or visiting car wash. You care for it, it will run as new and gives you no problems.
Seriously, Glocks are amazing I go to the range with my buddy and his XD jams and I won't even get into his 1911. That thing jams more then anything I've ever seen. He gets upset that my glock runs perfectly every time. Not going to lie it feels good when I take my glock out

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
spencer17 said:
Seriously, Glocks are amazing I go to the range with my buddy and his XD jams and I won't even get into his 1911. That thing jams more then anything I've ever seen. He gets upset that my glock runs perfectly every time. Not going to lie it feels good when I take my glock out
I have an XD, taking the slide apart was a B#%^#! Good thing I sold it, waiting for the guy to get me his money. Getting a 17 later so my 19 has a big brother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts