Take my Glock or not?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Poppy, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Were going to Sturgis, SD for Bike Week this year and i'm undecided on whether or not to take my glock. I wouldn't want to have to keep taking off n leaving it in my bike everytime i wonder into a no gun zone. But with all the crazies there
    What 2 Do What 2 Do???

2. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

A Lot would depend on where you are staying and whether you have hard bags or soft bags etc. I put hard bags on my Dyna just so I can lock up my gun when I go in Banks and Federal Facilities. Are you staying in a Motel/Hotel? You can pack to and from and when you are riding the country side. If you are Tent camping and don't have any hard bags then I might not carry! OK I lied I would Carry but I wouldn't recommend it!

3. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

Too many crazy, knuckle dragging, wall eyed, limber d---, no count, sap sucking, idiots out in this world of paradise we live in, NOT to carry.
    I think or rather I know I would carry mine at least to and from Sturgis.

4. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Be safe rather then sorry, take the Glock.;)

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I would take it! Just don't go to any anti gun places!

6. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member Supporter

I packed my Walther PPKS .380 and had it in my pocket everywhere I went while at Sturgis a few years ago.

7. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Oh you lucky lucky man..... Lucky lucky lucky....

Ok back on topic.. Do you have bags on your bike? I'd yes then take it!!!

I really.... Hope to make it in the near future and will be taking mine.. Just don't do any drinking while you have it with you.

8. scoobydoo1234

scoobydoo1234 New Member

I work at a saloon during the rally. I carry. I've never felt threatened as the majority of people who go seem to be 50+, riding a gold wing. The gangs are small and stick to their territory, fighting amongst themselves.

Please read up on south Dakota firearms laws before arriving. You'll see that they're very accepting to firearms and open carry. There are very few "gun free zones" you speak of. Pretty much just bars and government buildings.

If you plan to stay in public places, carry every day like you already should be doing.

If you plan to drink, don't carry.

9. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

For the road trip enroute to the event, I'd certainly be carrying. At the event itself? A bit of finesse & planning might be a good idea. If I decide to attend something like Sturgis, I always try to do it with a group of known friends. There is more security in numbers, more eyes on your side, and a group of friends that are of a similar mindset are less likely to be targeted, or singled out for some kind of negative attention. There are no guarantees of course, just a risk reduction if you number more than one alone.

It's a hard call to make. We all know that carrying a firearm limits your lifestyle, & how you socialize. The more your out there, the better the chance that you might have to use it, which will change your life forever. So it's a risk vs reward judgement.

My own personal lifestyle would be totally unacceptable to most people under 40. I generally avoid crowds, fairs, concerts, etc... The only exceptions I usually make are shooting ranges & shooting events where everyone is armed, & of a similar purpose. But what works for me, obviously is not "The Norm".

Best of luck to you though, really hope you have a nice, uneventful visit to Sturgis.

10. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Thanks ya'll i've kinda had my mind set but good to hear your rhoughts.

I'm gonna take it n prob ride with it thurs. Fri n Sat I will prob have a few beers here n there so i wont tote it then.

Thanks again

11. ADulay

ADulay New Member

I always take at least one gun on my annual Sturgis run. This year will be no different.

In the states where it is legal to "open carry", both me and my riding buddy take adavantage of that particular freedom!

Be intelligent about your carry and there won't be any problems in the Sturgis area.

Of course we also head south later on to Raton, NM and stay a few days at the Whittington Center and shoot up a whole lot of ammo there!

Seeya out there!!

AD

[​IMG]