Tactical shotgun.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Glock_Fanatic, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Ok so I'm a Glock guy and not a shotgun guy. That being said go easy on me for asking but what is the beat tactical shotgun for home defense for the best price. My only condition is that it has a butstock or can be made to have a butstock (collapsible)

2. New guns, its hard to beat Mossbergs for value. Mossberg 500 is inexpensive and can be configured in a lot of ways from stock to barrel. In a few minutes, you can change one from a short home defense rig to a deer/turkey/duck gun by changing barrels and sights. I've had mine since 1982, and it shoots light loads to 3" mags without flaw.

Nothing wrong with Remington, Winchester, Stevens, etc...

For an auto, the Mossy 930 is similar. It is the next shotgun I'm buying as my elbow joints hurt bad after the last shotgun IDPA type shoot I went to (arthritis from all the fast pumping).

3. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Depends on what you are looking for. (semi auto or pump) The Remington 870 is the most common for law enforcement and the amount of aftermarket parts is crazy. I currently have an 870 and have no complaints. Heck even mossberg builds parts for the 870. lol Oh and add the Knoxx recoil reducing stock. Makes a HUGE difference.

4. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Pump is fine... I have a semi-auto bird gun but the barrel is too long...

5. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Again, personally, I prefer the 870 because it is what is used where I work. It is kind of the Glock of shotguns. lol The mossberg is fine but isn't authorized for a duty shotgun. So I like the idea of having the same shotgun at home and work. I don't think you could go wrong either way though.

6. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

This is the one I am buying. It accepts a Muzzle brake, has an accessory rail and shots like a dream and is very affordable

870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.jpg

Overview:

Remington tacticalshotguns are rugged, ultra-dependable and continually evolve as they’re calledto serve in new, increasingly demanding environments. Built on our legendarypump action that’s become the gold standard for high-risk applications, the Model870™ Express Tactical has a quickpointing 18 1/2" barrel and includes ourextended ported Tactical Rem Choke. It packs a full 7 rounds of 2 3/4" or3" 12-gauge firepower with the factoryinstalled 2-shot extension.

The Model 870™Express® Tactical with XS® Ghost Ring Sights is optimized for rapid targetacquisition and precise shot placement with the XS blade sight and XS GhostRing sight rail (fully adjustable for windage and elevation), which acceptsoptics and sight systems as well. Both models have black synthetic stocks andfore-ends with sling swivel studs. Receivers are drilled and tapped.

KeyFeatures:

· 18 1/2" tactical barrel with XS® frontblade sight RC Tactical (ext/ported tube)

· XS Ghost Ring sight Rail (mounts to receiver)

· Sight is fully adjustable for windage andelevation

· Front blade sight works in conjunction withGhost Ring to quickly and accurately acquire target

· Tactical style fore-end

· 2-shot magazine extension

· Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts(XS Picatinney rail with ghost ring included)

7. Here is a pic of my old pumper. I put a Blackhawk stock and forearm to reduce weight and make it shorter. Holds 6 2.75" shells. Mine came as a combo pack with short barrel and long barrel with interchangeable chokes. Paid $169 back in 1982 in AK.

It ain't pretty, but it is damned reliable.

Attached Files:

8. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Another stupid question... Do you really new sights on a HD shotgun? I would imagine its more point and shoot.

9. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Yeah, because a good portion of the time you are using slugs with a tactical shotgun. Even with buck shot good sights make a big difference.

10. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Makes sense.

11. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

12. Maybe not authorized where you work, but to be clear, the Mossy 500 and especially the 590 (mil version of the 500) is used by police and military in many places.

Ive shot many shotguns and when it comes down the brass tacks, I like the location of the Mossberg safety much better.

870 is a fine gun, and I'd trust it as well as most any modern major manufacturer shotgun with my life.

13. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Cool video. I was just wondering because the way my house is set up the farthest I would have to shoot would be in the hallway and at most that is 25 feet... But more then likely it would be from my bedroom door to the living room or kitchen 7-10 feet. At that distance I wouldn't even use the sights on my Glock. Simply point and squeeze. Not that I would need it but I also have the laser/taclite that would help. (surefire x400)

14. n8tv

n8tv New Member

I say if you want low cost and still a good gun go with the mossberg maverick. Still made in Texas and can be swapped with 500 parts later. They run about 190 at academy I have the all purpose model and have had no problems with it at all. Why spend hundreds for something that you won't use that much.

15. Glock_Fanatic

Glock_Fanatic Member

Funny you should say that. The only gun I use to spend the money on would be my g19 and maybe a 35 but I still want a lot of others. One day when I start reloading I will shoot more types of ammo but for now 9mm and 40 for comp. but I do see what you're saying and thanks for the advice.

16. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

Hopefully, this will be my next purchase for HD: Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun: 15-Round (14+1) Bullpup Pump-Action 12-Gauge Combat Shotgun. Maybe it's all the hype, but the videos I've seen of this beast in action do it for me!

Attached Files:

17. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

If you want inexpensive then the Maverick is a good choice. I always recommend the Remington 870 because that's what I've always carried on duty and that's what I went through Defensive Tactical Shotgun School with.

18. j102

j102 Well-Known Member

The Remington 870 and the Mossberg are both fine shotguns.
    But since I love Glocks, I went with the Remington 870..... The Glock of shotguns!
    :)
    Either choice, you will be fine.
    Don't listen to me, I have two (2) Remingtons! lol

19. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

I am so stoked!! I can't wait to get mine now, I have heard a lot of good stuff about the 870!!