Tactical light

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by glocknloaded, Mar 8, 2012.

1. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I have a G17 it's my only firearm(for now) so it serves as both home protection and range gun. I'd like to put a light on it not really interested in a laser combo just a led light, something that I can leave on while at the range to make sure I am comfortable shooting with it in case I ever need to use it for self defense(god forbid).

This is my first handgun so I don't have a lot of experience in this department and would love to hear what you guys are using or what you have found to be the best tactical light in your experience.

I was told that the factory Glock lights weren't all that great which was hard to believe with the amazing track record of there firearms, is this any true?

Thanks in advance guys!!

2. I would go with a Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-3.

3. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I have a Nebo 190 lumen light. It is not the brightest on the market, but for what it is, it is probably the least expensive. It will light up a room fairly easliy and doesn't cost much (maybe <$50). Some people don't like them, some do! I don't shoot with mine on at the range often, but it goes back on my gun and in the nightstand when I return. It hasn't failed me yet.

You can't beat some of the Streamlight's or Surefire's, but they will be a bit more pricey.

4. shiflet

shiflet New Member

I can only vouch for streamlight. I think its a good deal to have on a home defense weapon.

5. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S4qRZBf-pw"]SFx300 vs SLtlr-1[/ame]

Low Price
    I'll go for Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-1s (strobe function) for HD. - Easy to find a compatible holster.

Mid Price
    Insight Wl1-AA (not in Video). Cost a lil more but it will pay for itself in the longrun coz it utilize AA alkaline/Lithium batteries.

If needs to be abuse
    I'll go for Surefire X300. Pricey but you get what you paid for.. Plus it will come in handy when you need a hammer :D:D:D

6. glocknloaded

Thanks that video was very informative

7. glocknloaded

I am really impressed with the surefire and optics planet.com does free shipping. I think it will be money well spent.

8. leb686

leb686 New Member

I dig my crimson trace, turns on when you pick up the gun, has an off switch if needed, bright 100 lumens. Probably get for around 120. No strobe or anything pretty straight forward. Feel like it flows with the glock pretty nicely. But, not much experience with anything else.

Attached Files:

9. glocknloaded

That crimson trace is a light not laser? I look the compact look also looks like it was meant to be there very nice.

10. leb686

leb686 New Member

I have both on the light on the front, laser on the grip, thing that sucks is I can't find a concealment holster to accommodate the two.

11. glocknloaded

I really like your set up! I am in California so I can't conceal carry.

Do you leave the light on while at the range?

12. leb686

leb686 New Member

No I shut it down, it's indoor so pretty well lit

13. glocknloaded

I meant attached to the gun. It sounds like you do. I was just curious how it holds up, I have heard problems with tactical lights not doing very well while being attached while practicing at the range. Seems like you would want to get as much time with the firearm in the exact configuration your going to keep it on the night stand as possible. If so I think I just found my first tactical light for my first Glock :)

14. moyerdrew0

moyerdrew0 New Member

I don't mean to knock on any tactical lights at all, but someone gave me some good advice a few years back. A weapon mounted light gives away your position. All an intruder would have to do is shoot at the direction of the flashlight. So my advice is if you are set on getting one make sure it is bright enough to cause temporary blindness. There are plenty of tactical lights out there that do this, they cost a lil more but could save your life. Just some advice that I have stuck to.

15. glocknloaded

Thanks! As a new gun owner all advise is appreciated!

16. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

That guy doesn't know how to use a TAC light properly. I do agree with the brighter the better though.

17. leb686

leb686 New Member

Oh yeah it would be kind of a pain in the ass to remove it every time. I have only put 150 rounds through the 19 with it attached. So far no issues, It attaches to the trigger guard and the rail so pretty secure.

18. moyerdrew0

moyerdrew0 New Member

I do know how to use a tac light. I have had years of experience with it. But if someone does not know how to use it properly in a home invasion situation it could very easily give away there position.

19. fireman96

fireman96 New Member

image-2555964306.jpg

I have a crimson trace lightguard on my glock 19. This is my EDC and HD gun. It's not cumbersome or bulky. It's operated by a remote pressure switch on the front of the grip underneath the trigger guard, it also has an on/off switch Its a 100 lumens so it's fairly bright..

20. glocknloaded

Thanks for sharing I think I'll be going with the same light for my glock 17