Swapping Barrels and Mags?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by unit44justin, Mar 24, 2012.

1. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Hey all I searched around and didn't really find an answer to what I was looking for. I have a G22 and G23 both are Gen 4. I read somewhere that you could swap in 9mm barrels and mags and make them a 9mm firing platform. I just wanted to confirm that this is true. I would assume that I would have to get a G17 barrel and mag for the G22 and for the G23 I would be swapping in the G19 barrel and mag. I also assume that I could just leave the guide rod and recoil spring alone.

The main reason that I am considering this is because I would like my girlfriend to start shooting a larger caliber firearm than her .22 S&W and my Sig Mosquito. I made her shoot a full mag through the G22 and she didn't like it because of the recoil. I figured the 9mm round would be easier for her to handle. I have a 9mm Sig P6 but to me it feels that the P6 has a lot more buck than my G22 and G23. The G's feel more balanced and easier to control.

Any comments to confirm this? Also if this is true do you go with a factory Glock barrel or are there other good options out there, and what places are reputable?

Justin

2. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

look into lonewolf barrels.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

No, the G17 and G19 barrels have smaller outer dimensions than Glock's .40 barrels. The smaller 9mm barrels may gouge the sides of the breech face of the slide, and because the part of the barrel that sits in the muzzle hole of the slide is smaller, much more stress would be put on the barrel lugs, locking block, frame pins, and the frame itself.

For the Gen4 G22 you would need to get an aftermarket .40-9mm conversion barrel for the G22, and use G17 magazines. For the Gen4 G23 you would need a separate .40-9mm conversion barrel for the G23 along with G19 magazines. You cannot use the same barrel for both guns, each gun uses a different set of barrel lug dimensions.

Also, the crescent-shaped cut-out on the barrel lug that the base of the guide rod seats into is different between Gen3 and Gen4 barrels. That cut-out is smaller on Gen3 barrels, and most aftermarket barrels have this smaller cut-out as well. So you need to be sure every time you reassemble the gun from field strip, even if you didn't take the barrel and guide rod out of the slide, that you fully seat the base of the guide rod into that crescent-shaped notch in the barrel lug.

You shouldn't have to change them, but the 9mm Gen4 models use lighter springs. In Gen3 and earlier, the 9mm and .40 models used the same springs. In Gen4 after so many revisions of the guide rod assemblies, Glock settled on weaker springs for the 9mm models. I'm not sure what weight each set of springs would be.

If you want to get the lighter-sprung guide rod assemblies, many online retailers sell them and one of your local gun stores may have them. You would use the Gen4 G17 guide rod in your Gen4 G22 with the 9mm conversion barrel, and the Gen4 G19 guide rod in your Gen4 G23 with the 9mm conversion barrel. Here's a chart showing what number markings are on the base of the latest version of each guide rod:
    http://cwfirearms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/GlockRSA.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. Brutane

Brutane New Member

I'm not sure I would go through all of this trouble and expense if the recoil is your main concern. I have both a 19 and 23 and if I close my eyes and don't know which gun I am handed I can't tell which is which by recoil alone. The difference is minuscule. For the price of the conversion kit and the extra mags I would look into getting her a gun she is more comfortable with in a larger caliber.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Moved to correct sub forum: Gunsmithing