Survival shotgun article...good information!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by havasu, Jul 13, 2012.

1. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

[​IMG]
    :) I like it

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

2. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

Awesome! Def a few ideas I hadn't thought of.

3. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

I think this should be a stickie so noobs can find it ( and so I can find it again later) Good idea & reference

4. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Paracord sling! Why didn't I think of that?!

5. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

I made one for the 10/22. Planning on another for the mossberg

6. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

What braid pattern did you use? And how soft, flexible was the sling compared to a regular sling?

7. ZombieNinja

ZombieNinja New Member

The 10/22 is light. I liked the plain ol cobra braid. I like to do a quick dip in hot water on stuff like knife handles and hatchet handles. Makes it real tight. Didn't do it on the sling but it's still a little tight since you're tying a long knot but not too bad. No way will it be as pliable as a normal sling. I've looked up many braids and down loaded a book. Most of my ideas are coming from "The Paracordist" Kevin2000 on YouTube. Pretty awesome survival bracelets and monkey fists etc.
    I'd like to do a fatter wide and hopefully softer feeling braid for the 500 since its heavier and would need more comfort for a long term carry situation. Also gives a lot more cord if needed.

8. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

That survival saw is pure genius. Color me impressed.

Regarding paracord slings, google Slatt's Rescue Belt for an interesting alternative to the typical Cobra Knot. It's flatter; one side is a fair bit smoother than the other.

With paracord, each extra loop adds about 1/4" to the width of the strap, and you can easily expand in the middle from 3 or 4 loops per stitch (~3/4" - 1") to 6 or 8 loops per stitch (~1.5" - 2") to create a wider shoulder pad for heavier guns while keeping the rest lighter and more flexible.

I'd think about adding a .22lr adapter - http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Convert-12-22-caliber/dp/B004UW0GDU - and a brick of cartridges.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012