Glock Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer approaching and the weather getting warmer what are some cautions for keeping a firearm in a hot car.

Yesterday I chose not to carry because I knew where I was going I would not be able to legally carry inside and I didn't want to leave it in a hot car. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
dougster said:
With summer approaching and the weather getting warmer what are some cautions for keeping a firearm in a hot car.

Yesterday I chose not to carry because I knew where I was going I would not be able to legally carry inside and I didn't want to leave it in a hot car. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum
I've never heard of temperatures getting hot enough in a car to melt plastic polymer or "cook off" a round. So IMO you should be golden.

Also sent from my iPhone using Glock Forum
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
541 Posts
One big concern I've heard of with the summer heat is when Kydex holsters get left in vehicles. I'm not sure what the heat does to Kydex but I imagine it makes it softer which is exactly the opposite of what Kydex holster wearers are looking for in a Kydex holster. Maybe Mike P or someone else who works with Kydex may be able to help with this?

As far as a weapon goes, I dont think the heat of a car should cause polymer to melt or rounds to cook off. I had polymer mags in the heat of Afghanistan and even setting on top of a truck in the heat and sun of Afghanistan, the mags held up and I never had a cookoff. Whether it be 9mm, 7.62, or .50
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
MarinewithaGlock said:
One big concern I've heard of with the summer heat is when Kydex holsters get left in vehicles. I'm not sure what the heat does to Kydex but I imagine it makes it softer which is exactly the opposite of what Kydex holster wearers are looking for in a Kydex holster. Maybe Mike P or someone else who works with Kydex may be able to help with this?

As far as a weapon goes, I dont think the heat of a car should cause polymer to melt or rounds to cook off. I had polymer mags in the heat of Afghanistan and even setting on top of a truck in the heat and sun of Afghanistan, the mags held up and I never had a cookoff. Whether it be 9mm, 7.62, or .50
If your car gets hot enough to affect kydex you really have a problem. I had vehicle mounts made of kydex that sat in direct sunlight in Florida and never got close to that. Its just not gonna happen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I have a pouch in the front of my seatcover with 2 mags and my 23 in it in Florida, Never a problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
The only thing I've ever actually seen melted by car heat is shotgun shells. They were freshly spent and sitting in an empty topless ammo can set in the back of a vehicle with an internal temp of 200+ degrees with the temp inside the ammo can even higher. It was like a portable oven. We were out in the middle of the southern CA desert and it was 125 degrees with no shade. The unfired rounds didn't melt.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
636 Posts
I was a bit curious about the Kydex melting as well but dont they heat it to 350 to mold it?

Mikep... we need you sir. Someone send up the Mikep bat signal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,604 Posts
voodoo said:
I was a bit curious about the Kydex melting as well but dont they heat it to 350 to mold it?

Mikep... we need you sir. Someone send up the Mikep bat signal.
I saw the sign in the sky.......

I've never heard of any issues with kydex but I've only been working with it myself since this past winter. So far I've never personally experienced any ill effects on kydex left in a car. Im not saying it cant happen under ideal conditions such as a black car parked in Death Valley on a record breaking day with holster in direct sunlight on the dash but I just dont see it happening under normal circumstances. Most of us will have our weapons and holsters stored out of sight and direct sun.

We heat the stuff up to 400 degrees to mold it.

Put it this way.....if a holster we make deforms in anyway under such conditions let me know. You can return it for a replacement and we all learn something but I just dont see it ever happening.

To the OP, as far as leaving your weapon in the car....dont sweat it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
had to dig this up. This is from a few years back, it's a kydex holster i made for the 19 that is permanantly affixed to my Jeep (I miss her....). It used to get hot enough inside my jeep to make the stereo screen look melted, but the kydex was always firm as the day i made it.
 

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top