Subcompact with mag extensions

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by BLCKWLF, May 30, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

So I see this a lot.

People buy subcompact or compact guns because they are smaller and easier to conceal.

These guns sport a shorter grip/handle/butt because this tends to be the part that most commonly is the most difficult to conceal.

Why then, do people add extensions to the grip to make it hold more rounds? By adding the extensions don't they make the grip the same length, or close, to a full size frame? Essentially they end up with a "full framed" weapon with a shorter barrel, the barrel being the easiest part to conceal, causing the least problems.

Why not just carry a full sized gun?

I just don't get it. Can someone explain this? I'd there something I am missing? Is there some other benefit?

2. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

I have an extension on my 26. It doesn't allow more capacity, but a better grip, and you definitely can't see it when concealed.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

How much does it extend? Just a pinky rest?

4. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

I get the best of both worlds. I carry a G26, and use the small flush 10 round mags with Defense ammo, keeps it small. I do use the Pearse extensions +3 on a couple others as well as a G17 mag with XGrips mag adapter for shooting at the range.
    I actually really like shooting with the small flush mag but having more ammo in the larger mags let's me shoot more.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

So subcompact for carry, full sized mags for range... Makes sense.

6. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

That's why my 9mm is a CZ RAMI P it already has that issue covered with two mags. It goes from 11rds to 16rds in seconds.

7. jmiles50

jmiles50 New Member

Yup...........

8. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Well not exactly! My G30 with a 2 rnd (11rnd) extension is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the G21 with a 13 rnd mag. but I have 13 rnd G21 mags as the # 2-4 mags:D

9. I own a G26 Gen 4 and I have a Pearce +0 pinky ext on all 5 mags of mine. I chose the +0 because I wasn't concerned about adding round capacity, but wanted it just to have a better grip. I carry mine in a Blackhawk OWB holster and it conceals just fine.

10. MississippiGlock

MississippiGlock New Member

I carry a G26 with a factory glock 12 rd mag. To me it is a good median of additional grip and round capacity but doesnt effect the conceal carry in my Blackhawk serpa owb at all.

But I do agree with you when people use G19 mags in a G26, or G17 mags in a G19.

11. Glock897

Glock897 Member

That's what I plan to do once I get my 26.

12. M22

M22 Member

WMass
    I keep the a pearce +1 on my 27 and keep a 15rd G22 mag in my pocket as a secondary.

13. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Things like this I understand...

image-2715233791.jpg

These I don't understand...

image-2267894441.jpg

image-2626759476.jpg

image-1595079355.jpg

14. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Thats why I have a CZ RAMI 2075 P 9mm
    [​IMG]

15. 777

777 New Member

Agree with blackwolfcf 100%. Makes zero sense. People who buy a G26 then buy a 3 round extension mag??? Its like, just get a G19 that holds 15, that also has more heft (lesser recoil), better sight radius, and waaay better grip. Unless you have gorilla hands, the subcompacts are awkward to hold.

16. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

17. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I am talking about those who use the mag extensions for carry, not as a back up mag or for the range. If you are gunna put one of those on why not carry a full size gun?

18. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I can tell you that all of my G30's shoot better than my G21's and in some cases I carry it with the big mags and other times I carry it with the small mags. Just depends on Dress and situation!

19. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

When I buy my G30 I plan to get a couple G21 mags with the grip extension for carrying g it I. The winter. But during the summer I would use the mags that came with it.

20. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

That sounds like a plan! Versatility! Hmmm... I just never liked small guns... Maybe I'll go try em out! (I carry a full size g22).

So use them for differing range/carry situations. Different seasons like winter makes it easier to conceal more...

Anything else?