Streamlight TLR-1s

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by AuxSix, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

Anyone have experience with this lighting system? Tempted to purchase one but unsure of a few features.

Does the light quick detach? Even if an additional accessory is required.

Ease of holstering and drawing if not quick detachable. i.e. new muscle memory teaching sessions.

Concealment characteristics (I like my 23 and I think he should have a new buddy)

Thank you for any help you can provide. Any different lights you might recommend?

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I have the regular TLR-1, which is identical in specs. It attaches to the rail and has a screw, that can be tightened by hand, to secure to the rail. I also has a fairly large slot, so you could tighten/loosen with a quarter if you needed to. I haven't ever found a need. How "quick" it is depends on you and practice.

I have a Safariland SLS (I think, I can't remember the model) for the gun with the light mounted. It's a tad bit longer with the light attached, so the only real change in draw stroke is having to pull it a little further to clear the holster. I don't really see it as a big deal, but then I don't carry it regularly; it's primarily the night stand gun.

There are dozens of holsters that will accomodate it, both IWB and OWB. Personally, I can't imagine carrying it IWB; the gun alone is bad enough.

Where are you looking at buying it from? lapolicegear.com has it around $100 for the s model. I'm planning on adding one to my arsenal soon along with a TLR4 probably.

3. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

I love the TLR-1, for the $ I think it is the best around. It is not exactly quick detach, but it goes on and off in under 10 seconds. If you wait long enough they seem to go on sale a couple times a year for around $75 on the interwebs

4. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

Thank you both for the info! I was hoping for "quick" (remove from belt pouch attach to gun, shoot) to avoid replacing my duty and cc holsters. I use the Safariland 6280 SLS now, some of the guys have light mounted holsters and they seem so clumsy.

Thanks again for the info!

5. I just bought a TLR-3 today, is there any difference between that and the TLR-1?

6. bhale187

Tlr3 has a plastic body, tlr1 is metal

7. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

Isn't the 3 for subcompacts?

8. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Yup TLR-3 & 4 are for subcompacts.

9. Probably wouldn't do too good on a 17 than huh?

10. Trotac

Trotac New Member

The light itself is designed to fit small guns, but it will any gun with the appropriate rail. It is just smaller, has a plastic housing, and the light specs are a little different than the TLR-1. I think that the TLR-1 is a fantastic light for a good price (I've got three of them) and it is still relevant, but as smaller lights come along (TLR-3, CT Lightguard,etc.) it becomes less and less attractive to some people though. The first one I bought is now going on 8 years old and it is still as good as new other than some cosmetic wear. I also don't consider lightbearing holster to be clumsy, duty or (especially) off duty. My duty and off duty guns all have tac lights attached.

In my opinion it is BAD juju to try and draw a weapon and a light, and then join them together. Either keep the light mounted, or only carry a handheld light.

11. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

If you put a TLR3 or 4 on a full size Glock, or full size anything, you'll need some long fingers to reach the switches.

12. Trotac

Trotac New Member

You're exactly right... I'd only seen one on as big as a 19 (which worked fine), but anything bigger would be a problem. Color me corrected!

13. shiflet

shiflet New Member

It is really easy to attatch and detatch. Wouldn't recommended trying under pressure or in a dangerous situation. The light itself is pretty amazing. I'm 100% satisfied with mine and would recomend it to anyone.

ForumRunner_20120303_014055.jpg

14. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

So I finally found a good deal from a eBay storefront. $90 shipped. Was hoping for a little less but all the duty gear stores wanted $125+. Should be here by the end of the week. Thanks again everyone for your help and input.

15. bhale187

cool, post up some pics when she shows up

16. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

Since this post, I added a TLR1s to the lineup. I like it. The strobe feature takes a little getting used to and I'm a little annoyed that you can't activate it and leave it on. Your options are on, momentary, or momentary strobe...it stays on as long as your finger is on the switch, but I'd prefer to be able to leave it on.

I also added a TLR4, which is the compact light/laser. Fits perfectly on my Walther P99c. I have the TLR3, as well, which is now on my Taurus .45 Long Slide. Because of the Picatinny rail on the Taurus, the TLR3 actually sits right up against the triggerguard like a light should. It's dwarfed by the gun, but it's awesome!

I think I have a Streamlight addiction. TLR1, TLR1s, TLR3, TLR4 and Nightfighter LED. :) I do have 1 Surefire, the M951, on my AR.

17. itsj0hnnyb0y

itsj0hnnyb0y New Member

You CAN activate the "constant strobe". Just switch to strobe then constant real fast. Hope that helps. Let me know how it turns out.

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I'll have to give it another try. Maybe I wasn't fast enough before. :)

19. itsj0hnnyb0y

itsj0hnnyb0y New Member

Yeah just play with it.

20. antek

antek New Member

You actually don't have to be that fast to do it. It just takes a little practice :)