Streamlight TLR-1 vs Surefire x300

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by J-Will, Jul 27, 2012.

1. J-Will

J-Will I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Let me start by saying the ONLY experience I have with weapon mounted lights is the Streamlight TLR-3 that sits on the XD45. I am wanting this for my glocks, but only plan on buying one more. I know the x300 is way more expensive and I could essentially have more than one Streamlight for the cost of the x300 alone. My question is this, is the x300 worth the extra cash? I'm no gun snob, I don't have to have the best thing out there. BUT I want something I can depend on. The TLR-3 is amazing, and small. I just want to try something else for my carry guns. Any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated. Just no pissing contests here please.

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I have the TLR1. Loving it.

3. A_Fond_Farewell

A_Fond_Farewell New Member

The TLR-1 is not a bad light, I had two but sold them for two X300's.

Needless to say I do believe that the X300 is worth the extra cash....

Prices have came down dramatically for the X300 lately, it was once around $300 and can now be had for under $200.

Resale value is excellent for the X300, you shouldn't have a hard time selling it if you need to.

Not to mention the build quality is superior, the X300 is a tank.

I much prefer the switching on the X300 as well, less chance of accidental light discharge.

The TLR-1 is not a bad light, I had two but sold them for two X300's when the price came below $300

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. g21redman

g21redman just wants to watch the world burn.

192 dollars!.... oh boy that makes me sick lol I paid very close to 300 for mine. Oh well lol. Im a surefire guy all the way baby! Haha

5. J-Will

From what I've seen, the TLR-1S projection, beam, and color are better than the x300. But the x300 is more durable? This will be for my nightstand, it won't be carried. So I'm leaning toward the TLR-1S because it seems to do the job better. BUT I do love the quick mount on the x300. That is the only thing swaying my decision. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!! It's so frustrating how indecisive I am lol. :mad:

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

TLR-1 all the way.

Same size, construction, lumen output, run time, and warranty, but TLR-1 is half he price........

7. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I have a TLR1 that I've had for a few years and I just added a TLR1s. I don't know how much more durable a light needs to be. The mount on the TLR1 is quick; it only takes a few seconds to mount and tighten, which can be done by hand. I don't know how it's possible to accidentally activate it either.

I also have the TLR3 and just got a TLR4, and I have a Streamlight Night Fighter that's a couple years old now. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty happy with Streamlight.

I do have a Surefire; it's the M951, which is a beast and used to be in the $500 range, but it's a Mil-Spec light. It would probably stand up to more than my AR will, but then I don't plan on running over any of my lights any time soon...

8. It probably aint that big of a difference but the X300 has 10 more lumans, and submersible up to 66 feet, 20meters. Just saying. :)

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

You are correct, surefire advertises 170 and streamlight advertises 160. Side by side I can't tell a difference in the 2, so I'm not sure if there's a +/- factor in there or if one advertises high or the other advertises low.

As for the 22 meters vs 1 meter submerssible, I guess that's a big selling point if you are planning on doing any water assaults ;)

10. Lol you never know in these crazy times. lol :) but yea it may not be that necessary.

11. J-Will

Well, I cannot swim. So if we are in water that deep, I won't be worried so much about the light haha.

And as far as the lumens go, the streamlight seems to throw a white, more focused beam when compared side by side with the x300.

I think since I am broke lately, I'll end up going with the TLR-1S.

I appreciate all of the input you guys provided. Hopefully soon the finances will be back to normal and I'll be able to grab an x300 and compare them myself

12. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
  13. g21redman

Extreme fog? Lol light seems pretty dull in that pic.

14. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    It's from the extreme Glock torture test video on you tube. Someone posted it on this forum awhile back. He shoots that gun underwater at a target on land. Kinda silly video but entertaining.

15. g21redman

Oh cool beans. Ill have to watch it.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1. Love my TLR1

17. bryan572

bryan572 New Member

I've got a Surefire x300 on its way to me right now for my new G17. I've always been a Surefire guy...I run one on my AR15 also. They are pricy, but you can't beat their quality.

18. Welcome to the forum bryan572!! Hope you enjoy your stay and could you possibly give us a little review about the Surefire x300 when you get it in?

19. ace43809

ace43809 Premium Member

I've been looking at these two lights too for a little now. Just need it for home defense I like the x300 but just cant bring myself to spend the extra for it. I think for most people the TLR-1 or one similar will be more than enough and you can get them for under $100. Those who have them, any suggestions on a good place to purchase them?