Strange or maybe stupid question?

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by Fathead00, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Was wondering while driving can you display a firearm to another driver if the other driver is showing road rage towards you?

2. Sorry in the state of Indiana.

3. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

Dont point that weapon unless you are ready to destroy or kill something... He could of shot at you for flashing him off..... Whos loss??

Call your local authorities and move away from the situation.

4. Dont know for sure but I'll make a small wager that is brandishing a fire arm.

I was told by a cop here in Missouri that a women was arrested for walking out side her house with a loaded gun in her hand showing it to some teens that were bothering some kids on the block. She was arrested and charged with brandishing a fire arm. When they got to court they argued that in order for it to be considered brandishing you would have to point it at someone. The won and the case was thrown out.
    So that being said. Check your state laws. lol

5. soufhernriders

soufhernriders New Member

I enjoy this forum very informative and have learned a grease deal from many on here. Some of the questions that get posted make me wonder if there's individuals out there who need to be carrying. Case in point, the dumass vigilante in central Florida, national attention acquired now Florida is under investigation for the stand your ground law etc. takes a few to ruin a good thing.
    I wonder sometimes if they shouldn't require a 10hr course for ccw just to cover the basics. Folks would be more informed and educated.
    I'm 35 and just recently started carrying, after plenty of research and taking some classes at local range/ NRA . I personally never felt mature enough to carry younger, now with a family things change.

Sorry bout the rant guys

6. fls348

fls348 New Member

Yeah that would be a flourishing here in Missouri.....I'd bet Indy has a similar charge. Keep it tucked till your going to use it.

7. I like this post ^^^^^^^^^

https://www.glockforum.com/forum/f15/just-sad-2411/

8. You can't threaten with a weopon here in Florida... dont pull unless you're firing.

9. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

That should be the policy anyway imo

10. MiguelAngel

MiguelAngel New Member

No need for foul language.... Just questions that some of us have.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  11. GlockIt

GlockIt Carry on my friends!!!!

Never pull your firearm unless your ready to defend your life or anothers in fear for yours or "another persons." Another persons is even questionable.

12. soufhernriders

U can't threaten with a gun anywhere , hell u shouldn't, only reason that gun should be seen by anyone is if ur goin to pull the trigger bc you feel there's a threat to ur life.
    With that being said if you're carrying you need to be the bigger man n walk away from a compromising situation.

13. soufhernriders

I don't post much but when I do I post w "dos Equis"
    But seriously a lot of it is common sense guys, just my opinion.

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum southernriders !!

I guess the "f" in your user name is a typo just like all the other typos in your post #12 above ^^^

If your going to post using your "Smart phone", please take a minute and type out every word and

use the correct spelling....It makes it alot easier to read and understand....Thank you !!

15. soufhernriders

Thanks for the tip shooter, was a typo, on an iPhone .

16. soufhernriders

Just don't ask for proper use of punctuation!!

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

In Nevada, the "display of any firearm in a rude, angry, or threatening manner not in necessary self defense" is brandishing.

Furthermore, the laws governing the use of deadly force allow a person to consider a threat "readily capable" of being carried out if the "assailant" is within 21 feet if armed with anything other than a gun, and is "readily capable" if the assailant is armed with a gun at any distance. Ergo, if someone brandishes to me, I have the legal right to shoot him dead. Even if he is across the street.

We do not have the duty to retreat law here.

In the scenario mentioned, if both cars are still in motion, I would do what I can to separate from the other driver. It is not cowardice, it is called de-escallating a situation. 911 is your best friend when this happens, not your firearm. If the other driver continues to be aggressive, and then both vehicles stop, I would try to drive away when he exits his vehicle. What if the guy was a top marksman who also just happens to be a grade-A jerk? It's not worth my life (or my freedom) to stoop to his level. Walk (or drive) away.

Your handgun should only become visible in your hand only when you have the clear legal right to squeeze the trigger. Not before.

This is based on the laws in NV. My 2 cents.

Cheers!

18. Thanks for all the the answers. I did just keep driving.

19. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Last summer, I carried with an X-Project holster in my Jeep with the door tops off. To reveal my (holstered) gun to someone on my left side, I just had to move my arm to the steering wheel.

Wasn't worth it, IMO. Much easier to smile and nod at an *******, lead him to a public place, or draw on him once he makes it clear he's a real threat.

Several years ago, I witnessed a guy raging against an older woman in the car in front of him. She was visibly frazzled, watching her mirror as he was riding her bumper, swearing at her out his window. We stopped on opposite sides of a 4-way stop intersection, and when they passed, I looked him in the eye and called him an effing a-hole. Got the reaction I wanted - he spun around behind me, left the lady alone, and started riding my bumper. I drove towards the police station with him riding my ass. I planned to brake-check him right out front and let his demeanor do the talking. Instead, he tried to pass me at an excessive rate of speed when the road opened up to 4 lanes, I slammed on the brakes when he got into the next lane, he swerved into my lane, and the cop shooting radar saw the whole thing.

Happysniper1, I agree with everything you said; it's better to de-escalate the situation than to save face in front of an *******.

Just out of curiosity, though, what about when the assailant is armed with a car?

20. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Think about it like this.
    Road Rage happens and you show a gun.

NOW that person can claim to be in fear of their life (because in their eyes
    you just threatened to kill them) and might pull a gun on you!

Or someone nearby may witness you pulling/showing your weapon and act in behalf of the other person and pull a gun on you!

Carrying a concealed weapon is supposed to be a sceret only you know you have. Branishing it for the world or others to see as a threat may very well get you landed in a jail somewhere, if you're lucky. If not, we'll read about how you got killed on the freeway and just shake our heads as the facts come to light.

;)It is my opinion: (I know you didn't ask for one but) I think you are a good canidate for more advanced training.

BTW, there is no such thing, as a stupid question.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.