Stovepipes

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by DevilDawg235, Mar 11, 2012.

1. DevilDawg235

DevilDawg235 New Member

Its been happening to be on my G19, twice in less than a week. A friend told me it was because the gun was "too new" and needed to be broken into. I think thats a load of crap, but anyways.

What can be wrong here!

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Has it ever happened at any other time with a different firearm, or is this your first?

3. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Only stovepipes I've ever gotten were a few from a batch of sub-par reloads. Limpwristing can cause all sorts of issues. Are the cases normally ejecting with authority and landing consistently in the same spot, or are they all over the place, perhaps hitting you in the head or face?

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Yea...^^^what they said !!

Could be anything from a bad extractor to underpowered reloads to limp wristing.

Make sure you use factory ammo to diagnose the problem, ie taking the reloads out

of the equation.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yep, which is why I asked if it had happened before with a different firearm, trying to identify if it was shooter-factor or gun/ammo-factor.

Also, Double-D, what ammo were you using?

6. WeightsNGunz

WeightsNGunz New Member

Which recoil spring do you have on it and also which ejector? There's a lot of problems with G19's with FTE, FTF. If you call Glock they will tell you what you have and if new parts are needed they will send them to a certified armorer closest to you.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Also true ^^^

Welcome to the Glock Forum WeightsNGuns !!

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Lotsa helpful info for you to check up on, DevilDog. Let us know what happens.

And tell the poor guy in your avatar to go to Mickey-D's and get a supersize of everything! :D

9. I've never had a stovepipe with any of my Glocks, not a malfunction of any kind and i bought my first Glock in '88.
    About the only thing i've had was the occational shell hitting me in the head but only with cheap ammo.
    But that could also be from a slight chance of limp wristing. :D

10. DevilDawg235

DevilDawg235 New Member

Thank you guys for the useful info. I believe its the ammo, HAS TO BE! It has only happened when shooting Wally World cheap ammo. I ran the problem thru a friend who is an instructor for a local police dept around my area and he also mentioned the limp wrist.

The ammo I usually buy is Federal 115gr, it has not happened with those rounds. Again, thanks for all you help. I'm new to the forum and shooting as well, so expect a lot of questions from me lol.

By the way, the guy in my avatar is my personal bodyguard! Hahahahaha!

11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

-Weak mag spring.
    -Mag not fully seating or badly worn mag release.
    -Worn chiped extractor or dirt under the claw.
    -Dirty chamber combined with other problems like a lack of lubrication

AMMO or Limpwristing

12. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Texas
    I have had this issue once but not on my Glock. It was the extractor. Changed it and no more issues.

13. Only time I have ever had an issue with my Glocks is when I wanted to see what snake shot could do... it has an aluminum casing that expands a bit more so it almost always got "stuck"

14. DevilDawg235

DevilDawg235 New Member

I will go to the range on friday again ad try different ammo.

By the way, which ammo should I use for range?

15. rivalarrival

rivalarrival Are we there yet?

Are you sure it was the case getting stuck and not the weak recoil of a light projectile? The reason I ask is that CCI Blazer is aluminum cased, and I've never heard of Glocks having feed/eject problems with it. What brand was that snake shot?