Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20C. I'm not sure if I should leave the trigger under tension while in storage. So, should I pull the trigger, then store it ? Or is it better to leave the trigger in the "ready" position ?

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
biotechborg said:
I just bought a 20C. I'm not sure if I should leave the trigger under tension while in storage. So, should I pull the trigger, then store it ? Or is it better to leave the trigger in the "ready" position ?
Storage? How long ate you storing it for? Just curious.

But back to the question, I keep my 17 locked and loaded in my bed side safe and that's the way it stays until its off to the range.

It shouldnt make a difference whether it's cocked or not

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm storing it for an unknown period of time. I bought it because I'm not sure if Glock will make a Gen 4 10mm. It just seemed a little bit better to not leave it under tension. With the trigger pulled (after cocking), it stays in the pulled position. Is it better or worse, or as you stated it doesn't matter, to leave it in that position ?

I loved it. I shot it yesterday, and it was very tame. I'm at work now, but thanks for the reply. I'll check in later to have some fun, and educate myself a bit more. Thanks again... ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
its a Glock. so it is not fully cocked when at rest. they have a half cocked set up, this is why you always have the same trigger pull. you are finishing the cocking every time you pull the trigger. i doubt leaving it at half cocked will do any harm. i had mine in my safe for over 4 years locked and loaded. when i got back to shooting it, i had zero issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Understood... just wanted to be sure I wouldn't damage or stress anything out uneccesarilly. Hey I was also wondering... ???

What happens if I keep dropping the slide simply pushing down the slide release, but without ammo to absorb the shock ? Is that bad like dry firing ? Dry dropping ?

I know these questions seem dumb. But I don't want to damage my pistol in any way. I like it, and I've had alot of pistols. My Glock shot nice. I love the nice fat grip. It gives me something to grab. It's funny how you grab a pistol when you really need it. It's not like shooting at the range. I think the adrenalin kicks in and all of a sudden a nice fat grip is reassuring. I'm still wondering what to do with the cavity in the grip. I saw some covers for it. I think it would make a nice stash spot for an extra round, I tried it, but only 1 fits in there, but that 1 could save my life. Is that space there for a reason ? I could imagine the Glock grip in slow motion, maybe this part actually absorbs some of the recoil ? Does the empty cavity in the grip of this pistol perform as a recoil shock absorber of sorts ?

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts
If you are storing it for a long period of time make sure to oil down the barrel before storage to help it from rusting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually... I'd like to know where to get the copper looking grease it came with. It must be of good enough quality to use as a long term storage lubricant. Does anyone know where I can get that formula of lubrication ? Please advise...

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
biotechborg said:
Actually... I'd like to know where to get the copper looking grease it came with. It must be of good enough quality to use as a long term storage lubricant. Does anyone know where I can get that formula of lubrication ? Please advise...
I don't think you can.. But there is other amazing products., balistol, rem oil, gun butter, hoppes, Clp will all work just as good

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
biotechborg said:
Understood... just wanted to be sure I wouldn't damage or stress anything out uneccesarilly. Hey I was also wondering... ???

What happens if I keep dropping the slide simply pushing down the slide release, but without ammo to absorb the shock ? Is that bad like dry firing ? Dry dropping ?

I know these questions seem dumb. But I don't want to damage my pistol in any way. I like it, and I've had alot of pistols. My Glock shot nice. I love the nice fat grip. It gives me something to grab. It's funny how you grab a pistol when you really need it. It's not like shooting at the range. I think the adrenalin kicks in and all of a sudden a nice fat grip is reassuring. I'm still wondering what to do with the cavity in the grip. I saw some covers for it. I think it would make a nice stash spot for an extra round, I tried it, but only 1 fits in there, but that 1 could save my life. Is that space there for a reason ? I could imagine the Glock grip in slow motion, maybe this part actually absorbs some of the recoil ? Does the empty cavity in the grip of this pistol perform as a recoil shock absorber of sorts ?
I ve heard recently releasing the slide like that is bad with or without ammo and I personally am trying to stop doing it everytime I reload but I don't have hard evidence just here say from other gun nuts and my LGS

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum by the way!!! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
biotechborg said:
I bought some off eBay a couple months ago! Search for glock gun grease..

Michael

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just checked... all they had was "Gun Butter". I'll call Glock if I really need to. Let's give their customer service a try... well not right now. It's 7:50am. LOL...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Springs don't wear under normal compression storage. I've had pistols and rifles stored for years and still work fine. I've purchased original
mags from the 60s for 1911s and others that had been loaded the whole time and run with no trouble.
What wears springs (good quality) is compression/ decompressing and cycling many times. It's just normal during that they lose their life.
A spring will "set" during storage, sometimes this happens in a few days and sometimes it takes many many uses or a long period of time. Generally they have a long life span ahead of them.

Gen 4 20/29 are already available but very scarce, I am looking for one local myself to use my blue label cert for.

From my gathering, I would never let the slide slam from the slide stop. This creates a pressure and smacking to the the extractor and can damage or break it. I don't know this as a fact, but after much research from reputable sources I take that advice. I also don't load a round into the chamber and let the slide go into battery. Same result from what I've heard.

The copper grease can be found at your auto store as stated above. I use other products suck as stos, TW 25b, militec and shooters choice, but I leave the OEM grease in place until its gone or too dirty for anymore use. Grease will keep all the dirt, keep in mind what happens when a cutting agent is added into grease, think along the lines of polishing compound but with nasty results.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have said this on other threads before, so in an effort to be thorough, do not use the slide stop to release the slide. It WILL wear out prematurely. The only time I will use it for that is if I was injured, and had to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys and NvrenufRR, thanks for the detailed info. Great to know that there is a Gen4 10mm. I'm on the hunt. Take care fellas.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts