Storage Auction Win

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by KingSanchez, Apr 8, 2012.

1. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

I recently won an auction for a storage locker and got something of a surprise. A Sig P226! Besides some rust pitting on the slide it seems ok. Put a few rounds through it and functions well.

What has me confused is the ejector on the slide. It isn't external like the Sigs I've seen.

I'm not a Sig man, does anyone know if there was a variant to the P226 where the ejector is internal?

2. malladus

malladus New Member

It's an older model. Forgot when they started with the external extractors, but its also probably got the older trigger bar spring which is prone to problems, you can get a replacement/upgrade for it but you have to also change out the grips with newer ones as well.

If everything works well shoot be a nice shooter. I would have the serial number run and check to see if you need to have it legally transferred to you incase the previous owner reports it as stolen or it is stolen.

malladus

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

3. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Nice find any pics ?

4. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

I have some pics of the complete tear down. Did some heavy cleaning.

ForumRunner_20120408_232532.jpg

Did some polishing.

ForumRunner_20120408_232610.jpg

5. Boracay

Boracay ʎ ɐ ɔ ɐ ᴚ o

Lucky! Really nice find.. :)

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Older SIGS don't have accessory rails...that's only a few years old at best.

7. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Sweet thanks, great find.

8. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

Shooter, that accessory rail was a hack job add on. It's a bit cocked and I'm sure my 13 year old could have lined it up better.

9. malladus

malladus New Member

If you look at the slide in his first photo you will see that it has a roll pin which means its the old folded steel slide with the separately machined breechblock. They stopped making those in the late 90s when they switched to the all machined uppers. This was driven by the need to beef up the gun for .40 S&W.

If you look at the frame you will see it has the form of the older railless P226s, not the newer blocky railed frame. Like Smith and Wesson with there old steel framed autos SiG came into the rail market quickly and retrofit added them which is why they look glued on, either that or it's an aftermarket job.

Between the rail a d the pinned slide I would put the age of the gun between 1994 and 1996 but that is just a guess.

malladus

10. malladus

malladus New Member

In that case what does the hammer look like? The gun could older then my estimate. Look for the made/manufactured marks. Gun could be a early US made, US/German, or all German made.

Robert

11. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

It's stamped Herndon VA and also W. Germany. From my understanding that's a plant that lasted a few years in the late 80's?

12. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

I actually just looked up the serial. It was produced in 1988.

13. SHOOTER13

Same age as my SIG...a German made JJ (1988)

Just put new 15lb Wolff springs in her...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  14. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

That's it. I got it from the JJ stamp.

Don't think I'm keeping it though.

15. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Nice score KingSanchez! Are you going to put the Sig up for sale here?

16. SHOOTER13

I was thinking the same thing...except for me it would be extra parts!

17. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

This firearm has definitely been neglected, it has some pitting on the slide from the rot. I cleaned it up best I could. I was made an offer already the day I discovered it by a state trooper (my good friend) for 300. I told him he would get first option.

18. KingSanchez

KingSanchez New Member

I think the best part for me was the books with $1700 in small face bills hidden in the pages... :D

My bid on the storage unit won at $127.

19. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Wow that is awesome. Congradualations!!!

20. SHOOTER13

That is a find...do you do this auction thing for a living !?