Glock Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently acquired a Ranger .22 from one of the guys at the LGS. Took it home cleaned it up and went to the range. Shoots great and I didn't have a complaint about it... however, my wife was shooting it quite a bit and it gave her a blister from cocking it. After getting home from the range I took it apart and noticed that inside the bolt...well, it almost looks like it is unfinished. There are scoring lines from when it was drilled out which is causing friction when pulling back the cocking mechanism. short of bringing it to a local gunsmith, anyone have any suggestions on smoothing this thing out? It's too deep to use a dremel on and I can't think of any other way to smooth it out.
Wood Office supplies Auto part Cable Gas

Wood Office supplies Automotive tire Bumper Office equipment

Glasses Vision care Automotive lighting Goggles Eyewear

Attachments

·
Because 2 Are Better Then 1
10,292 Posts
Sandpaper around a wooden dowel?

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Maybe put a drill bit just a bit smaller than the inside diameter on a Dremel with sandpaper on the bit??

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Did you try that bore brush thing we were talking about at the meet and greet?

It's the bolt that is hard to work right? Not just the cocking knob at the base of the bolt?

D

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you try that bore brush thing we were talking about at the meet and greet?

It's the bolt that is hard to work right? Not just the cocking knob at the base of the bolt?

D
yeah, tried the brush thing this afternoon, and it cleaned it good, but the grooves are too deep and the steel isn't going to be smoothed out by the bronze brush. The bolt itself is very smooth, its just the cocking knob that is rough.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
RRoss said:
yeah, tried the brush thing this afternoon, and it cleaned it good, but the grooves are too deep and the steel isn't going to be smoothed out by the bronze brush. The bolt itself is very smooth, its just the cocking knob that is rough.
Steel brush might be worth a try... Or getting a new bolt body.

I've those ridges are just crazy.

D

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
If not a good local smith, try a good local machine shop. Looks like milling it out is the only thing that will fix it. You'll have to ask yourself if you like the gun well enough to put $50 of work into a $100 gun

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steel brush might be worth a try... Or getting a new bolt body.

I've those ridges are just crazy.

D
Tried finding one online and haven't had much success:(

If not a good local smith, try a good local machine shop. Looks like milling it out is the only thing that will fix it. You'll have to ask yourself if you like the gun well enough to put $50 of work into a $100 gun
HAHA!! I only paid $50 for the thing
but if it'll keep it shooting, then it's worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I wonder if attaching a ring on the cocking knob might make it easier.

D

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
HAHA!! I only paid $50 for the thing
but if it'll keep it shooting, then it's worth it to me.
I'd definately bring it to a local machine shop than, they can surely mill it out smooth as a babies butt. ;)

I've owned several firearms over the years that I spent more on repairs or customization than the gun would ever be worth, but it was worth it to me; thats all that matters.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or maybe rubberize the knob. They have a dipping rubber kit that you can buy for dipping hand tools. Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
or maybe rubberize the knob. They have a dipping rubber kit that you can buy for dipping hand tools. Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:
That might help avoid the blisters as much, but I think a smooth bolt action is a surefire fix, and a thing of beauty when its just right :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts