Steel Casing Ammo

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by GlockMonkey, Mar 15, 2012.

1. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey New Member

Has/does anyone use steel casing ammo in their Glock?

2. sconnie

sconnie Member

Yep, Brown Bear. My G19 eats it like Tic-Tacs.

3. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I've used Tul Ammo before, and my Glock ran all of it through with no hiccups.

4. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey New Member

Anybody had issues with this ammo or have a real reason I shouldn't use it? I had someone point it out to me and checked mine out and sure enough the test rounds from my G19 were steel casings :intrigued:

5. + 1

Sometimes the cheaper steel casing rounds run a bit dirtier.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Don't know if this helps any, but not steel ammo in pistols, steel ammo in ARs:

An amount of the varnish vaporizes from each casing as it is fired, and recondenses all over the innards, attracting carbon and crud. I have seen AR gas tubes so clogged with carbon and varnish that there was no choice except to replace the gas tube and gas block. Wolf ammo was notorious for this.

In pistols, I would imagine (steel being harder than brass or nickel), the extractor claw could see accellerated wear.

As regards to reliability, I have never shot steel cased ammo thru any of my Glocks, and probably never will (personal preference).

Cheers!

7. With Tulla Ammo, their casing is actually made of very thin layer of steel, covered in a zinc/copper layer with a polymer coating.

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Thanks, Locapitano, that's good to know.