Steel cased ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by AMERICANINFIDEL, Jul 7, 2012.

1. AMERICANINFIDEL

AMERICANINFIDEL New Member

Will steel cased ammo ruin a glock? I've fired steel cased ammo through rifles, just curious about the steel through a handgun.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

3. The rounds that came with my glock in that little yellow envelope that has the information about it on it, was steal casings. So no it work hurt your glock.

4. AMERICANINFIDEL

AMERICANINFIDEL New Member

Ok thanks for the info

5. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Mine doesn't like steel case ammo, but it won't hurt it. Just wipe it down well, most steel cased ammo is lacquer coated. That can leave deposits when the gun gets hot.

D

6. My G26 Gen 4 will eat anything! I've put over 1300 rounds thru mine in 9 months using various brands, brass and steel case. Over 500 rounds of the 1300 was with the cheap, steel case Russian Tula. Not one hiccup! Fire at will!

7. Tape

Tape New Member

they are phasing the lacquer out, all are phosphate polymer coated now because the lacquer is causing the cases to get stuck in the chamber, the heat melts the lacquer and gums up the chamber. I use the hell out of them in all my pistols and ar&ak, the pistols are my 1911's and glocks, I only buy them when I can get them at a "can't pass it up" price only

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  8. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

Wont harm your glock at all. Its fine, cheap ammo. Fire at will!! :)

9. dwcfastrice

GOod to know.

Shot some wolf again this weekend at least in the conversion barrel (9mm), still no go.

I've been shooting Wolf Military Classic in my AR and as with a bunch of people, I get a lot of Failure to feed or double feeds. I've noticed a strange powdery/sticky substance on all of the rounds.

Did a bit of research and some folks are "tumbling" the Wolf MC rounds to knock whatever that powder is off and have no issues afterwards.

D

10. portercc

portercc New Member

My local indoor ranges do not allow steel.

11. Tape

Tape New Member

what AR do you have?

12. Tape

Tape New Member

I do not know any indoor range that will allow it

13. rickjames

rickjames Hard Work! Dedication! Supporter

One that I go to allow it.
    When I asked before I went for the first time the guy said "?yeaaaaa?" Really confused, and I explained why I asked then he said you can shoot whatever you want, but if you rent a gun from here you must buy our ammo.

14. dwcfastrice

I have a Carbine length SAA upper with a LRB lower. It's a 5.56.

I've run both the stock SAA BCG and a nickel
    Coated BCG from Precision Arms (I think that's the name of the company).

This happens when I run PMags, steel mags, surplus mags. Pretty much any time I shoot Wolf Military Classic this happens. There are big scrapes on the rounds or I'll get double feeds.

When I run Wolf Black box the feed fine. I usually
    Run PRVI partizan brass case and I never have issues with that. Going to run WWB and Aquila brass (both .223) this weekend to see how they work.

But I digress, the issues ive had with steel ammo have been with the LWD 40/9 barrel in the 23. I get feed jams fairly often.

D