Starting a home business

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BLCKWLF, May 6, 2012.

1. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Well, I am starting a home business. I have a business meeting in Tuesday to discuss financing and such and would like to inquire if anyone has experience starting a home business. I would also like to ask for financing ideas, how to raise money to start up? I have $0 invested at the moment, however, I have countless hours put in. I am unemployed at the moment, I do not expect this business to replace an income or even really be that profitable for a little while, and it will never be on a level to support myself (and family). I am still looking for work. Either way, I need ideas on how to get money to start this up. Just to give you guys an idea of the type of money I am looking at in order to start up...
    $100 will get my permits to start sales (along with business cards).
    $1000 will get me a good start with supplies.
    $3000 will have me set to starting a profit immediately, building up over time of course.

No, I am not asking for money, though I won't decline offers.

I simply want ideas on how I could possibly get funds to start up.

Any ideas?

FYI...
    Sole proprietorship
    Retail and service operations out of my home.

By no means am I trying to market myself here, though I have inquired into becoming a vendor. Out of respect for the rules I will not discuss the specifics of the business unless one of the moderators allow me to do so.

Anywho... Funding ideas... Anyone?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Speaking from experience they first thing you need to do is a solid, detailed, clean wirrten business plan. Nobody will offer up a dime without it, and if they have to ask for it they will loose confidence in you because they will think you have no clue how to do business.

They can be tricky to write, but with a little reading on google you can do it. My suggestion is to just type down all of your thoughts and ideas for say, a week. Print that off. When you do the business plan refer to that print off. It's your motivation in its most raw honest form.

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Been working on that! Been writing down everything, organizing expense charts, contacting companies regarding wholesale/promotions relationships... Got several companies on board already, several more in the works. I am meeting with a friend who has a doctorate in business management on Tuesday to work out all the details and fine tune everything.

The big questions I have is if there is a way to raise money to buy up some stock to start resale and raise money that way. I know there are some grants and stuff but I don't like the government or bank loans, re: unemployed...

I am considering selling off a few things... But I don't have anything of any "real" value that I can give up...

I have no doubt that I can do this, my family is on board 100%. Just a little extra boost to get started would be nice, though I can wait patiently and take my time over the next year and save whatever I can...

Just a little heads up. My main reason for wanting to do this is not for a profit but to offer a good service to people. I am a volunteer and giver at heart. This business would open the door for me to do more for my community. Yes I am planning relations with several charities and organizations.

However, gotta have money to make money (or give it away)...

4. You may be able to use Freecycle to get a lot of supplies for free. Basically go to yahoo groups, type in Phoenix Freecycle and hit enter, i bet you have one or one nearby. Join the group and posted a wanted ad. I have got lots of stuff there i couldn't afford over the years. All the way from beer bottles to a nice lawn mower.

5. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

I'll give it a shot! They would happen to have a bunch a tactical gear and armor plates would they? Lol I have heard of them before, never really saw anything of use... But I'll start checking again! Thanks for bringing it up!

6. You never know, I got a training dummy off there. And where I live is the country. Vegas might be a good one also you aren't too far from there :p

7. oh and there is legal zoom. never used it, but startup might be cheaper there

8. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Yeah... I already have all the legal documents printed up. They charge too much...

9. I dunno I always typed up my own motions and everything

10. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Anyone got anything else?

Nuckin has been very helpful, where are the rest of you?

11. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I own a small business I run it out of my house but its not a "At Home" business I am a General Contractor so my business is involved around traveling to my clients home but I'll try to help with any questions you may have.

12. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

From OP…
    "I simply want ideas on how I could possibly get funds to start up.

Any ideas?"

13. Tape

Tape New Member

not working, no lending financial institution will lend you any money unless you have collateral. You need to expect to lose money the first 5 years of business. It is tough starting from 1 brick. I did it and it was hard but I wasn't married and no kids. Good luck

14. glocknloaded

I unfortunately have to agree you are gonna have a hard time getting someone to lend you money.

Have you sat down and to write a business plan? This will be necessary to decide how much working Capitol will be needed for you to keep your business running.

15. Tape

Tape New Member

It seems to me that you are wanting a get rich quick thing, there is no such thing. The first thing you need to do is get a job. Getting all the paperwork and all the other crap you are doing is doing nothing for $$$$. Unless you have a wealthy family member that will give you the money you need to get a job and save up. It is not as easy as you want it to be. How old are you? Do you have any business experience? Anyone can start a business if they have the money and that is the thing..... Money! a bank do not care about the footwork you have done, they want to know how are they going to get their money. You have no income and that is a BIG bang against you.

16. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

That is tuesday… as previously stated….

Also previously stated, I don't expect to be making much for a while.

Sounds like loans are the only way you guys know about to get money?

17. Tape

Tape New Member

it is tough and I hope the OP does not think I am bashing him but it is a rude awakening to start off and say I have no job.

18. Tape

Tape New Member

a job, rob a bank, deal drugs, I know a lot of ways to make money. The bank only give us money only if we do not need it.

19. glocknloaded

If you don't already have money and your family is not loaning you money and your not talking about loans I am not sure how else to gather money unless you sale something you already own or get a job.

20. glocknloaded

I do agree with you I am 27 and a small business owner I have all odds against me and it's hard no easy ways out