Glock Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I want to swap out my factory guide rod/recoil spring assembly and have found a stainless steel option and tungsten option (G26 G4) from what I read, tungsten seems to be used because if it's weight, to lower the recoil. I do not need this as the recoil is more than manageable as is. And the thought of adding weight to my carry gun is not appealing to me. Are there any other benefits to tungsten over stainless steel outside of additional weight (which again I don't see as a benefit) such as reliability or longevity?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a SS one in my 22C. I haven't felt a reduction in recoil and the weight isn't noticeable to me. It does however make the gun feel a bit more balanced with a loaded mag in it. A tungsten one may make it feel a bit more balanced then what my SS one does (mine still feels a little rear heavy with a loaded mag in it).

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Don't put either one in your Gen4 26. If you're wanting to reduce muzzle flip and/or recoil the two spring system is more effective than a metal guide rod. The weight difference is negligible, especially on a sub-compact pistol. The Gen4 two spring system eliminated the need for a metal guide rod. If you have too much recoil from a 9mm G26 then you need to change your stance and grip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm using the Tungsten guide rod and it does feel front heavy but it will make my aim more accurate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I myself use a Tungsten guide rod in my G23 Gen4. Yes it weighs the front down a bit more but I've noticed the reduced recoil. As this was my first gun and also never have shot a gun before, I didn't expect the recoil I received from it. It's also a good thing I bought it too because of the recall on the RSA's. But once I get the new one, I will most likely put it back in and try to see if the tungsten is really necessary.

·
Certified Glock Armorer
11,359 Posts
Just heavier and a lot stronger.. But stainless steel is strong enough an the weight difference you won't even notice. As for recoil, doesn't change the recoil enough too notice a change really

·
Banned
488 Posts
I tried tungsten a long time ago in the first 23C I had. Didn't really notice a difference in recoil. If you are going to be using Wolff springs then you might as well get their recoil spring rod IMO. It is black oxidized and will outlast your gun. Of course a stainless or tungsten rod will also but I prefer my gun looking at a glance to be unmodified.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got the tungsten in my 26 and did not notice any difference. I got the stainless in my 17 and did not notice a difference. I bought them for the wrong reason and thought it would improve my accuracy but only time improved that. I bought them within a month of buyin the guns so I was new to the cool factor of accessories. That's just another lesson learned. Now my 30 only has night sights and the rest I left stock.

·
Left
338 Posts
I use SS in my daily carry G20 and doing back to back testing with the same loads(loaded myself) I didn't really notice a difference in grouping or in recoil, then again, it's 10mm. The lighter the round, the less recoil, the larger difference it will likely make. I still carry it because I have it and I know it will not break or wear out, and I can re-polish it at will to ensure the action stays as smooth as physically possible for as long as it's within diameter tolerances.

I have built a couple of competition only Glocks, both of which I used tungsten rods in, and did so because at the level of full competition gun, EVERY advantage you're allowed should be taken because the difference between winning and losing is often tenths of a second, so not taking an available advantage is asking to lose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts