Stainless steel tumbling

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Vegas-Misfit, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Vegas-Misfit

Vegas-Misfit Premium Member

As anyone seen or had first hand experience with this???... I'm thinking about goin this route but nervous it would cause unneeded stress on the brass and cause premature wear... Any input is greatly appreciated thanks in advance guys

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Been thinking about this as well!

3. Vegas-Misfit

Awe I have finally found something sniper doesn't have expertise on... This is a sad day because I was hoping u would chime in with an answer lol hopefully someone here can help us out

4. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I've been looking at this for awhile now...seems pretty effective at cleaning inside and outside as well as primer pockets (the whole reason why I use ultrasonics!), but I personally don't know anyone who uses it and who could give realistic feedback....

Seems like it would be a horrendously noisy process, though....

5. Vegas-Misfit

I too have been doin a lot of research and every video/review of it has been good... Honestly from what I have gathered it is no noisier than a standard media tumbler... Tell you what I'll invest in one and as soon as I get the brass from u sniper I'll take before and after pictures and measurements and I'll let you know first hand the results... Sound like a deal???

6. Vegas-Misfit

Of course this will be after I send you the beer :) lol

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

^^^---- this! :d

8. Vegas-Misfit

Lol I'll always take care of people helpin me out

9. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

I have an STM tumbler. I like it better than my Lyman cob tumbler. If you are anal about having clean cases inside and out, including the primer pockets this is the tumbler for you. I haven't had what I would call excessive wear on the cases, it uses water and detergent for cleaning so the abrasive action is imo no worse than tumbling in corn or walnut husks. I will try an post a pic of some 9mm cases I just did. You can't do large batches unless you spend more and get there 40lb tumbler. I usually do about 230 9mm cases at a time. That last photo is what it look like before I sst'ed them.

Attached Files:

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

NICE!

Could you show pics of the primer pockets after SST?

11. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

I sure will, will be running a batch of those on Sunday after range day :).

12. Vegas-Misfit

Wow that is amazing... I've seen results like that all over the www but you just can't trust everything online... But seeing results from a fellow member I'll be ordering this next week... Do you use your own separator or did you buy thier separator???

13. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

I bought the package with the separator well worth it, it's kinda cheap but does the job and aids in drying the cases as well. Once I get all the stainless pins separated and back in the tumbler I usually throw a couple paper towels in the basket and spin the separator to really dry them off. Then lay them out on a towel and let them dry over night.

Couple things to help with the process:

More is not better, follow STM directions and you will have very clean and shiny brass. Use Dawn detergent

USE COLD water, even for rinsing, they say use warm water but stay with the cold, I found the cases will tarnish/discolor if warm is used.

The process may sound tedious but in the end you will have cases you can reload and store for long periods of time since you will not get contamination from old powder/primer residue. Well that's my thought process on it, lol.

I trust my reloads more than some factory ammo, especially Winchester WB.

Hope this helps, if you need anything send me a message.

14. Vegas-Misfit

Thank you jack frost for the info I really appreciate it

15. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

No problem, good luck and I think you will enjoy your new toy.

I will post picks of some cases with cleaned primer pockets soon.

16. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

Here are the photos of the primer pockets after a STM cleaning. Left are nickel cases, right are brass.

Sorry iPad photos, not the best.

Attached Files:

17. Vegas-Misfit

Wow it definitely looks worth it... I'll be placing my order Monday... Do you lose the steel pellets often or no???

18. Jackfrost

Jackfrost New Member

No not really just need to watch how you drain the water the first time since it is usually really nasty looking and if you pour to fast you could lose some.

When I bought mine I got and extra limeShine and the pin refresher kit that gives you a spare 2.5lbs of stainless steel pins.

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Holy ...!!!

Them's shiny clean cases!

NICE!