stainless steel guide rod.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by MadTaco, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MadTaco

MadTaco New Member

Are they really worth it? What benefits do they have?

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I've never really bought into the whole thing, though I did just pick up one to try out. I found the Lonewolf for the full size Glocks for $35, so I figured it was worth it to see if I notice any difference and if nothing else, to have a spare...though in 13 years of Glock, I've never had one break.

3. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

I have 1 in each of my guns and have no issues, I don't really have a good reason why I have them in my pistols other than I like SS over plastic.

4. Rav_G20

Rav_G20 Member

Maine
    I just ordered one for my G23. I'm curious to see if it will help tame the muzzle jump like they claim. My follow up shots are pretty slow at the moment.

5. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

Same here and if you have polished barrels on all of your GLOCKS like I do it looks great!! I have never fired my GLOCKS with the stock recoil spring yet? So I would know if it is an improvement.

6. Glockmaster

Glockmaster New Member

I was trying to say I wouldn't know if there is a difference.

7. I had the factory spring in mine for 5 years and about 8k rounds with no issues. I recently replaced it with a SS rod and factory weight spring because at the base of the factory one it was looking like it was starting to deform a tad and I just wanted to replace it for piece of mind. I have not noticed any difference in recoil though, but I haven't tried shooting them back to back. Maybe next time at the range I'll shoot one mag on the SS rod then swap out and toss the factory one in for a mag and see.

8. Green-Water

Green-Water New Member

I'm getting ready to order a tungsten guide rod with ISMI spring for my 17. The added weight provides for quicker follow-up shots. We'll see what happens.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Moved to correct sub forum...Gunsmithing

10. Glocked

Glocked New Member

I have a SS guide rod/ spring assembly in my 30. It looks good at the muzzle with the polished barrel and the polished guide rod visible.

It also adds a little weight to keep the muzzle flip tamed a bit. I really like it. I use lightening strike. Subs are 39 shipped and standard assemblies are 24 shipped.

11. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Glock highly reccommends replacing recoil springs between 3 to 5 thousand rounds. Other than the added weight for the metal I don't know it would be much different.

12. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

I had accuracy problems out of the box with my G36. Actually worst Glock I ever shot.

I noticed the factory guide rod also had the most flex of my two Glocks, by far.

On a hunch, I bought a s/s rod and qualified with it cold, having just received it the afternoon before in the mail. The difference in accuracy was like night and day.

On the other hand, my accuracy with my G19C is excellent and I still have the factory rod in it with no plans to change it out.

13. Glocked

Glocked New Member

The other day at the range I put up 2 targets at about 18 -20 yards. I fired my 30 with Stainless steel guide rod assembly at the right side then I fired the 29 with factory guide rod at the left target. I'm not sure if it's the guide rod or if the 30 is just that much better. I will try the 30 with and without factory rod tomorrow when I go for GSSF. I realize the target are upside down but thats how i taped them up. This was with 7 rounds each weapon. Here are the results...

image-1187844027.jpg

14. MadTaco

MadTaco New Member

Awesome man, Id love to see the pics of the 30 with the ss and with the factory rod next 2 each other.

15. Glocked

Glocked New Member

I'll shoot a five round test both ways and post it tomorrow. I'm curious as well.

16. Glocked

Glocked New Member

As promised, I test fired with a lightning strike stainless steel recoil spring/guide rod assembly and then with a factory assembly. I realize this is not definitive. I was just curious.

Left side is 7 shots at 7 yards with a factory spring and the right side is 7 shots at 7 yards with the ss lightning strike.

image-2396085966.jpg

Then I fired 3 rapid fire shots at 7 yards with factory spring and 3 rapid fire shots at 7 yards with the ss assembly. Left side factory, right side ss lightning strike.

image-1361576987.jpg

My opinion is there is no real difference here. I like the look, weight and feel of the stainless guide rod thought.

Enjoy...

17. MadTaco

MadTaco New Member

Wow thanks man, interesting results. I wasn't expecting that at all.

18. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Good unbiased report

19. Heedless619

Heedless619 New Member

I have a tungson one on my G23 and love it. I don't see a major difference with recoil but I like the idea of tungson instead of plastic. Glockstore.com for $50.

20. drhodesaz

drhodesaz New Member

I may have to invest in the SS for my 23.