Glock Firearms banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In the future I’d recommend snapping a few pics and posting on the forum to see if something is amiss.
Lots of experience on the forum.
Cheers!
I tried to join these forums to get some help and advice, took this long to finally join these forums. There is no contact info or anything on this site. I managed to find a link that led to the "owners" or who ever they are and after a week someone there was able to help me get signed in and post.

·
Premium Member
12,735 Posts
I recently upgraded my G17 Gen 3 recoil spring to a stainless steel one from the glock store. With the shortage on ammo, having none, I have been doing dry fire practice. After about a week or so I had noticed wear on the guide bar of the recoil spring. It appeared the spring dug into the guide bar leaving grooves. After not getting help through email or phone, I decided to just send the recoil spring assembly to glock store with a note. I received an email stating that this was normal wear for the part.

I am not an expert but the only wear I could think would happen is friction from the spring riding on the guide bar. Anyone here know anything about this? Is this normal wear for a stainless recoil spring? The only wear I noticed on an oe recoil spring is from the spring riding on the guide rod.

This experience with gs has led me to stray away from purchasing from them again, regardless if my problem is an issue or not. Their customer support is terrible to say the least, it took over a month to finally to get a response from them and I only got that a week after the received the recoil spring.
I purchased 2 from the Glock store years back. Both eventually failed. I went back to oem, except the 3 glocks I use lasermax guide rods in, fwiw.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The factory RSA's are the best option. The only time to deviate from the factory RSA is if you are tuning a competition gun for specific custom loads. My personal process is to swap the factory RSA out every 5k rounds. I have never had one fail. At 5k I am sure there is plenty of life left. It is very cheap insurance.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The factory RSA's are the best option. The only time to deviate from the factory RSA is if you are tuning a competition gun for specific custom loads. My personal process is to swap the factory RSA out every 5k rounds. I have never had one fail. At 5k I am sure there is plenty of life left. It is very cheap insurance.
There is probably life left in them, but I change every 5K(ish) as well and can always feel the difference from old to new.
The other springs in my Glock are changed every 15K(ish) as well. Many say don't bother until one fails, but I have never had one fail and don't plan to. Failure usually comes at about the worst imaginable time, or does for me. $10 every few years isn't going to break the bank.

Reactions: Silver-Bolt

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently upgraded my G17 Gen 3 recoil spring to a stainless steel one from the glock store. With the shortage on ammo, having none, I have been doing dry fire practice. After about a week or so I had noticed wear on the guide bar of the recoil spring. It appeared the spring dug into the guide bar leaving grooves. After not getting help through email or phone, I decided to just send the recoil spring assembly to glock store with a note. I received an email stating that this was normal wear for the part.

I am not an expert but the only wear I could think would happen is friction from the spring riding on the guide bar. Anyone here know anything about this? Is this normal wear for a stainless recoil spring? The only wear I noticed on an oe recoil spring is from the spring riding on the guide rod.

This experience with gs has led me to stray away from purchasing from them again, regardless if my problem is an issue or not. Their customer support is terrible to say the least, it took over a month to finally to get a response from them and I only got that a week after the received the recoil spring.
Maybe a cheap type of stainless steel being used. I have used NDZ rods in all my Glocks and P80s and never had a problem. Great customer service 110% of the time also! NEXT TIME TAKE PICS.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
An update. I received a package from GlockStore today, thinking it was my "damaged" recoil spring. When I opened it what I found was a brand spanking new one. This was not expected and I feel a bit better about the whole experience. I still think customer support was a little lax. We'll see what the future hold...

·
Registered
35 Posts
An update. I received a package from GlockStore today, thinking it was my "damaged" recoil spring. When I opened it what I found was a brand spanking new one. This was not expected and I feel a bit better about the whole experience. I still think customer support was a little lax. We'll see what the future hold...
So how is it running now? Is the same problem coming back?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts