Glock Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'll start this one.

There is nothing wrong with my RSAs but I would like to upgrade to either SS or Tungsten. it is just my preference.

I have a tungsten and SS from TopGlock right now, Tungsten in my gen 3 23 and SS in 19. It may be my perception, but I have noticed much better flip reduction and softer recoil with the assemblies.
These are no longer available as I had purchased them unless they are named differently.

I will be installing these into a 17 gen 4 and a 20 gen 4.

I have been searching the forums and reviews for the other assys, and read a bit that some of the tungsten have breaking issues from bing so hard/brittle.
A few have stated they have had issues with the dual spring system where the large spring will disengage from the captive stop and cause FTF.

As far as the two, I have seen quite a few articles, arguments moving50/50 each direction.
What has everyone's gee experiences been with a particular manufacturer?
Which do you recommend, currently I am looking at the LWD, GM and Glockstore versions, I will going to a single piece guide rod with a conversion bushing, no 2 pc assys.
Does anyone know or can they weigh their assys and LMK what the actual weights are? SS and tungsten here please.

Has anyone experienced any of the breakages here? FTF or other issues, if FTF have you changed weight or ammunnitions and from which sources?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any experience with ISMI SS guide rod or Wolf, anyone know if it will work with a gen 4 adapter?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can tell you experience with mine from glockparts.com. I purchased the SS rod with factory weight spring for my G21 gen3. I tried for quite some time and I really didn't noticed any difference in accuracy or muzzle flip. Maybe tungten can have better results since it's heavier. I did noticed it was harder to get the slide apart with the SS rod after shooting. I have mine for sale since i don't see any advantage of having it unless i want to customize it.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Bought my G30 used, it came with a Glockmeister Stainless RSA, seems to be a pretty good piece. Don't really see the need for Tungsten but I do think Stainless is a good move up from the factory plastic RSAs.
Also, if you want to be able to swap out spring it'd be a good idea to go with the Wolff Spring Assembly since it's a non-capture set up so you can swap springs easily.

·
204 Posts
Been looking into the same thing. I'VE read a lot of the feedback on the tungsten one from GlockStore. Lots of issues with it. Causing loads of malfunctions. Not many reviews for the stainless steel one (5).

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the SS DUAL spring from the Glockstore in my G19/4th Gen. No issues, no difference in operation I can discern. Likely I wasted money, but that setup DID make a difference in my Ruger LC9, so I tried it in my Glock. Maybe a physicist could explain why a difference in one but not the other... But from two different manufactures as well and two different types of assemblies.

·
204 Posts
I have the SS DUAL spring from the Glockstore in my G19/4th Gen. No issues, no difference in operation I can discern. Likely I wasted money, but that setup DID make a difference in my Ruger LC9, so I tried it in my Glock. Maybe a physicist could explain why a difference in one but not the other... But from two different manufactures as well and two different types of assemblies.
Hrmmm... Thanks for that info.

·
Banned
94 Posts
I have the dual spring tungsten from the Glock store in my G17 gen4, it weighs 53.29 grams vs fatory plastic 19.37. I have had 0 failures of any kind, definitely smoother with less muzzle flip. Tungsten is not likely to ever break due to being brittle that is why it is used to make drill bits that cut rock and steel. It is technically brittle but you do not put enough force on the spring assymbly or put it in a bind that could cause fracture. I wouldn't go back to the factory spring if you paid me. They offer the stainless as a mid weight alternative to the heavier tungsten, both are better than the factory plastic and older Gen single springs - hands down.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do not have either. Want a ss for my G22 gen 4. Simply because metal over plastic, spring should be the same. When you buy either rsa I believe you are only buying the rod itself? Just comes with stock spring. You can opt for a heavier/lighter weight spring, that should be the only time accuracy and recoil is effected?

·
204 Posts
CaptainJack said:
I have the dual spring tungsten from the Glock store in my G17 gen4, it weighs 53.29 grams vs fatory plastic 19.37. I have had 0 failures of any kind, definitely smoother with less muzzle flip. Tungsten is not likely to ever break due to being brittle that is why it is used to make drill bits that cut rock and steel. It is technically brittle but you do not put enough force on the spring assymbly or put it in a bind that could cause fracture. I wouldn't go back to the factory spring if you paid me. They offer the stainless as a mid weight alternative to the heavier tungsten, both are better than the factory plastic and older Gen single springs - hands down.
Very different info from what I've read from most of the feedback I've seen for that item on Glockstore.com. Wow. Lots of bad reviews there, but you give it a great review. I'll have to go back & see what Glock models have issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I ordered a single piece SS and a Gen 4 adapter.
I was looking at the ISMI assembly but ordered from the GS.
Will post back after a range session.

·
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!
998 Posts
thank you for giving us feedback when you get a chance. ive been looking into one for my g17 gen 4. heard its different from the gen 3s ive swapped out. hope all is well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same experience as CaptainJack, recently ran 400 rounds through G34 gen 4 (RSA Tungsten) with no issues. Logically, muzzle rise should be less with the greater weight forward, therefore associated shooter issues should be mitigated, however they may not be perceptible or discernible by every shooter due to shooter experience level.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SS with adapter installed.
I opted for the ols style single piece. It weighs twice the factory. The gen 4 weighs 3x the factory.
I don't feel any additional weight in the front.
Function and function tests all are smooth.

I'll hopefully get to the range.
I doubt any issues or felt reductions, but we will see. I will bring the factory one to test for comparison

·
Registered
137 Posts

Where did you get the SS Dual spring for the LC9? What difference did it make in the performance of your gun? I added texture and palm swells to mine and it makes control a lot better. Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Saxet said:
Where did you get the SS Dual spring for the LC9? What difference did it make in the performance of your gun? I added texture and palm swells to mine and it makes control a lot better. Thanks
http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lc9-performance-parts/ --- very good people. 'Mom & pop' operation with a good reputation. I've come to really respect them through personal correspondence and they are very good about answering questions.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Saxet said:
The springs were 4lbs. Higher tension than the originals. It changed recoil - especially for hotter ammo, and made shooting more. Manageable. I got rid of all handguns but my Glock last month... I decided it's the only one I truly liked and want to become very proficient with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
PeacefulWarrior said:
The springs were 4lbs. Higher tension than the originals. It changed recoil - especially for hotter ammo, and made shooting more. Manageable. I got rid of all handguns but my Glock last month... I decided it's the only one I truly liked and want to become very proficient with it.
I just mine in the mail! Will let you know how they work.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I run Tungsten in my Limited G35. Have prob close to 10,000 rounds on it and never had an issue. It gives more weight up front to aid in keeping front sight on target (ie: mitigate muzzle rise). BUT it also balances the gun since i have a heavy magwell on it also...more weight in front to balance the weight of the magwell at the rear.

FWIW...Haven't seen any break and i have shooters in my club who travel the USPSA circuit and have shot 1,000's of rounds in theirs....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts