SS Kimber 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by RimDJ, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RimDJ

RimDJ New Member

What would be a good price for a basically new stainless steel Kimber 1911? I know of one for sale.

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

They vary a good deal depending on the model. Could be anywhere from $650 all the way up to $2000 or more

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

3. RimDJ

RimDJ New Member

Ok. Cool thanks. He is asking 1000 and says he bought it for 1800. My uncle says I almost have to get it. We'll see.

4. jelder

jelder New Member

What model is it? Full size? Compact?

5. RimDJ

RimDJ New Member

He says Kimber 1911 .45 ACP. only shot 20 rounds through it.

Attached Files:

6. bhale187

Looks like a 'Classic Custom Target' or 'Classic Stainless Target' with a changed out trigger. Either way, should be around $700-$800

Other side of the slide will tell the model.

7. RimDJ

RimDJ New Member

Ok. I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I'll look at it and shoot it a bit. Is it a good gun for either model or should I stay away?

8. bhale187

All Kimbers are good 1911s, IMO, the older the better. The newer ones have had increasing quality control issues.

9. RimDJ

RimDJ New Member

I might have to pass then. I'm looking for a home defense gun. This one is new, and the word "issues" doesn't settle well in my mind. And to be clear, what kind of issues do they have?

10. bhale187

A wide variety of things.
    One of my buddies had a new one (I think a Tactical II) that the slide was not cut correctly so you actually could not pull the slide back when it was locked back empty. You had to use the slide release, pulling it back to charge it after locking back would not work.
    I've heard of several online postings about Failure to Feed problems, and a good deal of fit/finish complaints.

All of which were fixed by Kimber at no charge, but they are not necessarily an out of the box stack your life on it gun