Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a g19 gen 3 and it squeaks when I rack the slide back and it's driving me NUTS!!! I have about 1000 rounds through it now and i clean and lube per glock specs after every trip to the range. Anyone else have this problem? I think it's the spring but you're not supposed to lube that, any suggestions on how to remedy this annoying squeak????

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoops just realized i put this thread in the wrong forum area. This is my first glock and I just bought a 23 last week and when I racked the new gun it doesn't have the squeak. If its common for glocks I'll just let it go, it just bugs that's all.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Yep, there is a thread around here on the subject of FrogLube.

I personally would not benefit from it, so I do not use it (I clean with ultrasonics, and this removes all traces of lube, negating any long-term benefit, so I just stick to Gun Butter).

·
Registered
372 Posts
The drop of oil that you put on the round part of the barrel, wipe that oil all over the round part of the barrel, all the way to the back.

I also lubricate the guide rod. I take an old expired ID card, wrap an oiled patch around it, put it in between the spring coils, and turn the guide rod in my hand to get the oil between every coil.

I've always done that, no squeaky screen door sound and no problem oiling the guide rod as lightly as I do.

·
Very Sensitive Guy (^;)
764 Posts
The drop of oil that you put on the round part of the barrel, wipe that oil all over the round part of the barrel, all the way to the back.

I also lubricate the guide rod. I take an old expired ID card, wrap an oiled patch around it, put it in between the spring coils, and turn the guide rod in my hand to get the oil between every coil.

I've always done that, no squeaky screen door sound and no problem oiling the guide rod as lightly as I do.
I've always had that screen door sound as you rack the slide on my 1st gen G-21 (single-spring recoil spring system) also. I've always known it to be just the nature of the beast. Because it performs flawlessly, I haven't attempted to fix what isn't broken. I do, however, get a good chuckle every time I rack the slide, lol.

I've meant to start a thread about this for some time now but just never got around to it... Glad to see this. And this suggestion above? I'm gonna give that a whirl being as the added lube is so light. Any suggestion requiring any significant added amount of lube, I would personally disregard. But this suggestion above is worth the try.

Thank you, Voyager.

P.S. I'd like to know of the correct double-spring rod for a G-21 1st gen. so I can replace the single spring with the double spring.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G-23 said:
Sounds like your gun is a canidate for the wax treatment. This is a little known techinque we armours use from time to time to cure hidden problems we see before the owner can complain bout it. Well, yes it does sound strange but by golly it works!

First say we'd dip ya slide in melted candlewax. This creates a good base for the bees wax application that follows. We allow the wax to harden and then we freeze it for about two hours. This allows for the molecular structure of the metal to re-align from the dip treatment.

Now, fresh out of the freezer, we torch the wax off (mostly) and then use a sooting effect to cover the metal briefly while everyting is still warm. Back to the vats and a good dip into some beeswax for about ten minutes. Once removed, it isn't allowed to dry but wiped down with a terracloth rag.

To get all this completed, we hang the slide in an oven and bake the remaining waxes and soot into the finish for about an hour fifteen minutes.

Cool it down in a quick dip in icewater ( I heard some smiths down south use their sweet tea) and reassemble.

NOT TO BE DONE on any plastic parts mind you!

Buddy, if that gun squeaks after a treatment of that. We start the Jack Daniels approach. :)
That sounds like quite a process!

·
Registered
624 Posts
The glock squeak has gone away in all of my Glocks that have the aftermarket springs and guide rods. Never thought about it until now though. The lone glock I have with the stock setup still squeaks. (G33, just tried it Great now I got to get another guide rod! lol) See it was worth the money! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brutusvk said:
The glock squeak has gone away in all of my Glocks that have the aftermarket springs and guide rods. Never thought about it until now though. The lone glock I have with the stock setup still squeaks. (G33, just tried it Great now I got to get another guide rod! lol) See it was worth the money! :)
I think I'll try the card/ lube on the stock guide rod first, if that doesn't fix it I might go with the aftermarket metal guide rod, not sure yet though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I just tried the card trick and it seems to have done the "trick". I was just hesitant to lube the guide rod and spring because I know glocks take VERY little oil plus the spring can get gummed up and cause issues. I'll keep an eye on it but for now the squeak is gone! Thanks for all your suggestions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts