Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried the stone texture spray paint on a glock frame? I seen some at Kmart today and was thinking about it.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
I wouldn't suggest it!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just considering. But why. It says for anything from metal to plastic. Any major reasons why not to?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Was just considering. But why. It says for anything from metal to plastic. Any major reasons why not to?
It won't hold up. You will never get the polymer clean enough to get proper adhesion from something like spray paint, that is why things like Duracoat exist. It won't hold up to holsters, cleaning, gloves, heat, etc. Also the texture paints are very difficult to work with when they do work right. You need to clear coat spray paint and there have even been reports over the years of clear coat eating polymer. Why? Because clear coat heats up as a by product, especially Duplicolor and Dupont.

Duracoat is the way to go. If you do not have experience painting from a gun you should pay someone to do it. For the cost of a Glock and/or polymer frame why treat it to $3 spray paint?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point man. Thanks. I wasn't saying I was gonna do it but just seen it and it crossed my mind.

·
King of my Castle until my wife comes home
2,929 Posts
What about powder coating the slide??? Anyone do this?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Powder coating is a bad idea, it will be extremely difficult to do without altering weight and tolerences. Duracoat works perfect and lasts longer than factory finish.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Not only is that god awful but it will simply never hold up over time. It just won't. The same effect could be obtained by doing a quality stipple job and then spraying Duracoat. That would be the correct, non half ass way of doing it.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
nukinfuts29 said:
Not only is that god awful but it will simply never hold up over time. It just won't. The same effect could be obtained by doing a quality stipple job and then spraying Duracoat. That would be the correct, non half ass way of doing it.
Nah you missed the point. The worn look from use is what is appealing about it to me. Same way we used to do our weapons to match the environment we were in. :)

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I'm ok with the look, it's how its done that makes me mental. People half ass stuff far too often, and anyone who has ever worked with that kind of paint knows its such a stupid idea. Spray paint in general is.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I think we just have a difference of opinion here guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have to agree, I tried spray paint on a Hi point 9mm years ago and it stills makes me mad to look at it. Hi points get enough bashing as is.... but spray painted.... oh gad... I'm just thinking of throwing some classic silver duct tape on it and calling it a day.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I have to agree, I tried spray paint on a Hi point 9mm years ago and it stills makes me mad to look at it. Hi points get enough bashing as is.... but spray painted.... oh gad... I'm just thinking of throwing some classic silver duct tape on it and calling it a day.
Just rough it up and lay some Duracoat (if you have the setup for it)

·
Banned
258 Posts
kodiak said:
I don't know. I like this quite a bit. Not my weapon...found it on another sight. Think it has a ton of character.
Anyone else notice the trigger on this thing? Not too mention the fact that it has a pocket clip on it? Not a good combination. I cannot see this ending well........

·
Banned
258 Posts
kodiak said:
Yep...very bad, but that's not what I was focused on.
Yeah I got that. And it looks like crap. IMHO of course. I'm with nuckinfuts on this one. Do it right or get a hi point and a can if you want to keep it cheap. Just saying...... Duracoat all the way.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts