Spotty Finish on a Gen 4; Please Take a Look

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by RevV, Jul 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

Greetings, wise ones.

I am looking at buying a Gen 4 Glock 30. The dealer says it’s new. The finish on it looks shabby. The dealer said, “It’s just dry. That’s normal for a Gen 4 until you put some oil on it.”

I have a Gen 3 and a Gen 5. I know nothing about the normal Gen 4 finish.
    IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg

Please look at the attached pictures and let me know what you think.

Is it “dry” and therefore fine?

Or is the dealer wrong?

2. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

The pictures did not end up where I intended, but at least they are visible. :)

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Yep. Rub a little oil on it and wipe. Should look perfect.

glockoid, rbbeers, C25 and 2 others like this.
  4. Danzig

Texas
    Gen 1, 2 & 3 had a great finish but the “Tenifer” process produced toxic byproducts. Glock had to abandon it. The gen 4 was quite different and really showed handling marks/scratches easily. The gen 5 has changed again and is better than 4 I believe but I haven’t heard how it holds up over time and abuse.

Southlake and RevV like this.
  5. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

If you wish, the following pictures may be used for comparison.

The G17.4 pictured below is 50,000+ rounds old.

The slide was dirty, so I scrubbed it well with alcohol and a paper towel to clean and 'dry' the finish.

The edge wear and scratches are my doing.

The finish is as you see it.

Please note that the changes in the hue of the finish in the pictures are due to the lighting and camera angles... the finish is NOT various colors.

G17 Gen 4 slide finish 1.jpg
    G17 Gen 4 slide finish 2.jpg
    G17 Gen 4 slide finish 3.jpg
    G17 Gen 4 slide finish 4.jpg

The above notwithstanding, please keep in mind that the finish only makes the pistol 'pretty' and simply covers the case-hardened steel... the steel is what does the work.

If the blotches are of concern, try cleaning the slide with alcohol... the discoloration may simply be smudges left by the Glock manufacturing personnel or recent prospective buyers.

Hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

Bob

LElliott, RevV, C25 and 3 others like this.
  6. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

To illustrate the 'oil trick' mentioned by Danzig and C25 (above), the slide below is the same "dry" slide pictured in post #5 after racking it with dirty hands (CLP and powder residue)...

G17 Gen 4 slide finish 5.jpg

... and then after a drop of CLP and a quick wipe with a rag.

G17 Gen 4 slide finish 6.jpg

Works great! :D

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    LElliott, pdh, RevV and 3 others like this.
  7. GlockAZ

GlockAZ Active Member

Take a silicone cloth the the store and rub her down. Then buy her. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Bayou, RevV and C25 like this.
  8. Danzig

Texas
    We did a lot of FFL transfers at the store I worked at. Sometimes we had the customer waiting at the store when the package arrived. A couple freaked thinking the finish was ruined. Once we put a little lube on it and explained it they saw their gun was fine.
    Thinking about it I think the gen4 was the only gun with that issue.

On a side note, the Rock Island 1911’s come in a plastic bag with about a pint of oil in it.
    Russian VEPR’s come wrapped in paper that was dipped in radioactive grease from Chernobyl.

LElliott, GlockGhost, RevV and 3 others like this.
  9. Danzig

Texas
    Seriously my hands would itch and start to swell almost immediately.
    Nasty stuff.

RevV and C25 like this.
  10. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

It’s from potential buyers touching it. Just clp, or whatever you use on it. It will be good to go. If your really concerned ask the gun shop to wipe it down with a silicone cloth. To prove that it’s not bad finish, it’s just dry.

RevV likes this.
  11. Lucian_253

IMG_0762.jpg

I would actually insist they do it upon further inspection. The circle part could be a scratch. Which isn’t a big deal really. I just like to be the one who scratches my guns. IMHO.

GlockGhost, RevV and C25 like this.
  12. Defendandprotect32

Defendandprotect32 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    My gen 4 I just recently purchased looked just like yours out of the box,I'm guessing from handling from the factory and ffl.a quick wipe down took care of it.

RevV likes this.
  13. That's what I use after cleaning my Glocks..makes 'em look shiney, LGS, new...

GlockAZ and RevV like this.
  14. Lucian_253

I have a 30sf with similar finish.

glockoid and RevV like this.
  15. RevV

RevV Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies.
    God bless!

glockoid likes this.
  16. gasgas

gasgas Member

You want to frame it
    Or shoot it

RevV likes this.
  17. Deneen

Deneen Member

Me personally, I would field strip it before I bought it. Just to be sure.

RevV likes this.
  18. Curious as to why the dealer didn’t wipe it down? Or is that uncool on a new gun?

RevV likes this.
  19. Danzig

Texas
    All depends on the situation.
    When guns are received by a dealer, he has to verify the SN# matches what the box says and what the other dealer or distributor says. That goes into the dealers FFL bound book. Everything has to be perfect and match. BATFE has no tolerance for mistakes. The dealer or employee may or may not wipe down the firearm. We had a separate shipping and receiving department. They didn’t know much about firearms. Their job was to make sure all paperwork and numbers matched. If it’s a large batch of guns they just get put in the vault and pulled as needed as guns were sold. So if I had a customer come in right after I sold the last gen4 Glock 19, I’d check my inventory and pull one out of the vault for the customer. The gun would probably not have been wiped down. Also as with FFL transfers, a guy buys a gun from Bud’s Guns and has checked tracking. He sees that it was delivered at our location. He comes to the store and asks about his gun. We could have a large delivery day and the gun hasn’t been received yet. I’d take it and bring it into the store and enter it into my bound book. I’d usually hand it over to the customer for their inspection. I may or may not have wiped it down first.
    As mentioned in this thread, the gen4 finish not only can look uneven/light color differences but can show light scratches and handling marks. These scratches or depression marks aren’t down into the metal but some people don’t like them. That’s why I think Glock is/has gotten away from that finish.

RevV, Toni77, TheKraken and 5 others like this.
  20. Southlake

Southlake Salt Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Thank-you!

Danzig, TheKraken, C25 and 1 other person like this.