Glock Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a glock 19 from someone out of state. it was supposedly brand new, however, it did not come w the spent casing. is that a really bad thing???? thanks in advance to any/all that answer this.

cheers!

GG313

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Welcome !

It really only matters if you reside in a state that still requires it, and most have discovered that it does nothing in the way of solving anything and results in a mountain of brass that the state must store, a venture down the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I don’t know exactly when they stopped including the test fire casing with new Glocks, but I know they still did in October of 2013. I’ve heard that at one time you would actually get 2 spent casings, but I can’t confirm that or what the time frame was for that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don’t know exactly when they stopped including the test fire casing with new Glocks, but I know they still did in October of 2013. I’ve heard that at one time you would actually get 2 spent casings, but I can’t confirm that or what the time frame was for that.
Just checked my Glock 19 my envelope says June 19th 2013 I still have the two spent casings and all the paper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey there everyone! thank you all for being so kind and welcoming. i really appreciate it. You really put my mind at ease. i assume that the casing is not required in CT & FL then. :) ive never understood why that casing would matter. if you change out the barrel, doesnt that make the whole point moot???

·
Glockin’ since 1993
39,431 Posts
hey there everyone! thank you all for being so kind and welcoming. i really appreciate it. You really put my mind at ease. i assume that the casing is not required in CT & FL then. :) ive never understood why that casing would matter. if you change out the barrel, doesnt that make the whole point moot???
You are correct.
Most gun laws are designed to inconvenience law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Many guns don't enjoy the aftermarket accessories like Glocks do.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
if you change out the barrel, doesnt that make the whole point moot???
The barrel marks the bullet, and the firing pin is what marks the case. However, OEM Glock barrels are nearly untraceable with cold forged rifling (polygonal) anyway.

·
Registered
Glock 43x
145 Posts
When I purchased my G19 4th gen several years ago it came with a spent test casing, then in May I purchased a G43x that did not come with a spent casing which to me wasn't an issue, I went out and shot the Two with only One issue that was with my 19, it had One misfire with 1000+ rounds through it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ya know..It's not tough to swap out the barrel or change/and or polish the end of the firing pin to alter It..If your really worried about that sort of thing, you don't have to "DITCH" the whole gun like Hollywood an T.V. would have you believe.
Honestly, I only thought about It for like a minute.
Really Maryland..15years to figure out It's pointless.
Your tax dollars at work.

·
Registered
889 Posts
, OEM Glock barrels are nearly untraceable with cold forged rifling (polygonal) anyway.
I would like to see your documentation backing that statement. I've never heard of such a thing.

It appears that the 3D marked barrels are in a 3D topography database now it will be easier to trace bullets used in crimes, or anything for that matter... Find a bullet, and instantly trace it back to that serial numbered barrel.
NIST 3D Ballistics Research Database Goes Live

There is a bunch more info with that link. Experts can often identify the weapon used based on rifling impressions on the bullet, or breech face and firing pin impressions in the primer at the base of the cartridge case.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I would like to see your documentation backing that statement. I've never heard of such a thing.
You wouldn't. That comes from our local Sheriff forensics team. Despite what you read on the internet or see on TV, it ain't NCIS.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You wouldn't. That comes from our local Sheriff forensics team. Despite what you read on the internet or see on TV, it ain't NCIS.
I would draw into question training and equipment. I'm sure the FBI lab is better equipped, and trained.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Never been to the FBI Forensics lab, but I'm sure their budget is bigger than San Bernardino's. Were just a bunch of desert rats out here, heck they didn't even get their own case until the late 50's (used to contract out with LAPD). But we have our own building now with over 100 staff who share resources with the NIBIN. Course it hardly matters as more than 60% of the guns recovered today are un-serialized ghost guns. It's a criminal's dream! No ID, no background, comes to your front door with just a credit card....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts