Glock Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally got my license after 2 months of wait . Picked up my G23gen4
So i am going to use it as a carry weapon and combat shooting so i found a 2nd hand 23 gen3 mag for half the price will it work
Can i load my mag full capacity and for how long can i keep it fully loaded

·
1,611 Posts
It will work, unless you swap the magazine release to the other side.
A full magazine should be okay for awhile, but it might depend on what they did with it before you receive it.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I suggest an extra magazine. One sits empty, and every month you change them out. This prevents wearing down the magazine springs by giving them a rest.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If I may make a suggestion. In the mag that in the pistol, I top it off, plus the round in the chamber. In the spare mag(s) I download by one round. I have found that if you reload with the slide in battery the mag will seat easier because there's more room , and less spring pressure, for the rounds in the mag to move down inthe tube when the top round hits the bottom of the slide. I dont know if I explained that very well. But experiment reloads with fully loaded mags vs mags downloaded by one. This how I carry my mags and I dont worry about two less rounds. My .02.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Keeping a mag fully loaded will in no way hurt the spring inside the mag. Cycling the mags from full to empty to full is what wears out the springs. Look at them like the springs on your car or truck, they do go bad but look at how many times they move up and down, they are great when you first buy the new car and they have been in compression for months by then.

If the mag release is stock or just the extended one they should work fine, several extra mags are great to have. Some like to load them -1 of being full, I have never had a problem with full mags in a Glock but have heard of problems in AR's

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Levelcross said:
Keeping a mag fully loaded will in no way hurt the spring inside the mag. Cycling the mags from full to empty to full is what wears out the springs. Look at them like the springs on your car or truck, they do go bad but look at how many times they move up and down, they are great when you first buy the new car and they have been in compression for months by then.

If the mag release is stock or just the extended one they should work fine, several extra mags are great to have. Some like to load them -1 of being full, I have never had a problem with full mags in a Glock but have heard of problems in AR's
Sorry im going to completely disagree.

·
is being censored
304 Posts
I have a lot of guns that have sat loaded at full capacity for a long time. I have never experienced a problem with a ftf or anything that would make me believe that you have to swap magazines around or give the spring a "break" so to speak but if it makes you feel better and more comfortable by all means do what makes you have faith in your equipment.

Dave

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
They don't break but they (at least Glock) do wear out. I have repaired many Glock mags in my life, and in the 11 years I have been doing it this way not a single one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
nukinfuts29 said:
Sorry im going to completely disagree.
I agree with Nukinfuts. I have see 2 clips in my life go bad and spring fly out and I mean that sucker comes out very quick and bullets go everywhere.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I agree with Nukinfuts. I have see 2 clips in my life go bad and spring fly out and I mean that sucker comes out very quick and bullets go everywhere.
That's not a spring failure, that's a floorplate failure. They had to have been dropped too many times, or there was a flaw in the molding process that the spring took advantage of.

Personally, I leave them loaded except when I'm shooting, in which case they get worked. Specifically, whatever I'm carrying and usually one other gun have a standard duty load, three full mags plus one in the chamber, loaded. The rest of my mags for those guns and most or all of my other guns, are unloaded until they get a job. If it lives in the safe, it's unloaded and all of its mags are too.

Empty mags will not wear out as quickly as full mags, which won't wear out as quickly as mags that are worked regularly. I don't think leaving them empty or full will for long periods will make much difference. Loading and unloading them regularly is what will wear them out in a hurry.

I've taken 10 and even 15 year old mags in to Glock and left with the same spring because the armorer felt it was still good.

I had to replace my mag springs in all three mags for my Walther P99. It was only two years old when I got it, but I don't know the history for those two years, so I can't say why they failed.

Aside from that, the only magazine springs I've ever had to replace were in my .25. They sat loaded for 10 years or so...it went into the safe and just stayed there until I decided I needed to check it out. ALL of the springs in the gun had failed. Both mags, recoil, even the sear spring was weak. I'm not sure how old the gun is, so I don't know how old those springs were, but I'd put them at 15-20 years old. The original manufacturer is defunct and another company owns the name. Thankfully they support the gun! $15 in springs and two new mags later, it shoots like new.

·
Registered
547 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts