So Easy a Caveman Did it!

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by sgtcowboyusmc, Jul 23, 2012.

1. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

OK I have owned Glocks since 1988 when I bought a slightly used G17 from a Friend. When the First G21 were released here in the USA (1991) I got in on a Law Enforcement only Purchase because they were filling these first and I had to Have a 45 Glock! It was the first, and so far out of 6 glocks, the only one I bought new. I do not know how many thousands of rounds I have put through it but it is somewhere near 30,000 rounds down range. I have never taken it completely apart and gave it a through cleaning until today! And Like the Commercial said "It Was So Easy A Caveman Can Do It!" The Guy I bought one of my G30's from would take apart his Glocks every 500 rounds including Magazines. I am of the school if it ain't broke don't fix it. I just believe that the more you take it apart the more you risk losing parts or wearing down parts. Now that I have done it is is really easy and I guess I have 5 more to do (4 actually because one is at my Brothers house). My EDC G30 has had more rounds through it than any of my Glocks (Around 50,000) and I think I need to replace some parts and Springs so I guess that is the next step:D

Oh one more thought in my rambling on this. Only the extractor was really dirty. Nothing else was that dirty. Not the Firing pin or the Springs or any of the trigger group. Now When it comes to Glocks I do not use any oil except if I use break free on the gun. Then it is just the residual of the Break Free. But mostly I clean with Hoppes #9 wipe down and put some rounds down range!

2. GAgal

GAgal Well-Known Member

Good job sgtcowboy! The Glock's simplicity is amazing.

3. Yep, I owned 5 Glock handguns before my current, 6th Glock, a G30 and never pulled any of em' apart more then just field stripping for cleaning until my G30. Just a pin punch and you can detail strip the entire gun, slide, frame, everything. I use to really love my 1911's because they were so easy to detail strip but my Glock makes 1911's look like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle because the Glocks are so simple. I'm totally sold on Glock handguns. ;)

4. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Funny thing is I have stripped my Auto Ordnance 1911 all the way down and put it back together several times but never did my Glocks.

5. Same here. I've been pulling 1911's apart for years to upgrade parts and clean and polish up things but never did it with any of my 5 Glocks that I owned over the years.
    Finally just took the bull by the horns and pull the G30 apart and man, I love this gun. Never took a gun apart so easily. Glock 4 Life.:D

6. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Welcome to the club!!!

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

unless you are over oiling it (something I am guilty of as a creature of habit), or of course if something breaks; a Glock will probably never need broken down beyond a basic field strip for cleaning

8. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

That has been my Attitude but I am sending off the slide to be milled for a Trijicon RMR Red Dot sight and new front and rear co-witness Iron sights. So the Slide has to be broke down to the bare slide. Hoping to have it all done by the time we have our BBQ and Shoot!

9. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Looking forward to it!!!!