Slide won't pull all the way back

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by JPochron, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Need some help please, I haven't owned my Glock 23 very long and I'm not that proficient yet at tearing it down and putting it back together. I had attempted to install the LaserMax LMS1131 guide rod laser but discovered I needed a bushing. Well I thought I had it reassembled correctly however the slide won't pull all the way back. I've taking it back apart several times checking that the spring and slide lock were properly installed but I can't tell if it is or isn't. Any advice on how to correct this problem. There should be no reason for it to be jamming like that ad all I did was remove the spring and slide lock. Appreciate everyones advice and the knowledge on this Foroum.

Joe

2. Hamster

Hamster New Member

Does it feel like it's sticking in a certain spot or does it simply stop short of going all the way back? Compare your laser with the original guide pin to make sure it's dimensions are correct. Sometimes a slightly thicker shaft will catch the bind up on the guide pin hole in the slide or a thicker base will prevent it from going all the way back.

I never tried one of those on a Glock but a friend did on his Beretta and ended up having to exchange it because the dimensions of the first one were slightly "off".

3. JPochron

JPochron New Member

Ok I got it fixed after watching a YouTube video. It was the pin on the slide I guess near the firing pin. Thanks for your response and thanks to YouTube for all it's informative videos.

Joe

4. MattA

MattA New Member

It was the edp pin?

5. nycfuzz26

nycfuzz26 New Member

Your magazines might be dirty, or it may be a problem with the slide itself, have a gun smith look at it.

6. JPochron

JPochron New Member

It was the Firing Pin Safety. I pressed the pin in and now it racks just fine definitely wasn't dirty I keep it clean.

Thanks,

Joe

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

that means the trigger was "reset" when you tried to reassemble.

Next time, try pulling the trigger before reassembly. Or, look at the trigger: if it is all the way back (rearwards) against the frame, you are good; if it sticks out forward (basically, "cocked") then simply squeeze it.

This is a necessary step in disassembly (and source for some criticisms against Glocks and other striker-fired handguns), meaning it must be dry-fired before disassembly.

Question: how in Heaven's name did you press the FPS pin in while reassembling?

8. I would like to reiterate, with extreme emphasis, what HappySniper1 just said.

"BEFORE reassembly"!

Some less than thoughtful person would reassemble, load a magazine, rack it then pull the trigger.

Those of us who've been around longer have heard these stories or even know one of these 'less than thoughtful' people.

9. JPochron

JPochron New Member

I went to a local gunsmith and he was kind enough at no charge was able to remove the slide and advised me about the firing pin safety. Before I reassembled it I pushed the firing pin safety into place and installed the slide and that solved my problem.

Joe

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Joe, I am glad it turned out OK for you. I can only imagine how panicky it must have been like for you, thinking perhaps that you had broken the Glock.

Glad for you, my friend!

11. MattA

MattA New Member

I had a prob with my 26 jamming awhile back. I took the slide cover off and removed the firing pin and edp pin... didn't notice that the barring must have popped off the edp. Went to the range shortly after and it jammed every couple rounds. I about lost my mind not knowing why. Simple easy fix and was 100% my fault lol

12. nycfuzz26

nycfuzz26 New Member

I have a 26 and it almost never malfunctions. I would definitely take it to a gunsmith, if you are cleaning, and oiling the gun regularly there should be no reason why your gun is malfunctioning. I hope this helps.

13. MattA

MattA New Member

Haha in my post I stated clearly why my 26 jammed.. it was my fault when I removed my edp pin I lost the barring that goes on the end of my spring. Simple easy fix. Already fixed the issue myself and hit the range with it today. ;)

14. nycfuzz26

nycfuzz26 New Member

Good job, Matt!