Slide Lock Spring Replacement?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by F22c2007, Mar 9, 2012.

1. F22c2007

F22c2007 New Member

ForumRunner_20120309_165832.jpg

Born on date of my G19

ForumRunner_20120309_165847.jpg

After doing some research I found information from a non-Glock-affiliated individual that advised of this issue. On the left is the OEM slide lick spring & on the right is the updated spring (wich as you can see I found on glockmeister), that Glock actually redesigned due to reported failures from LE offices all over the US. I have been with my firearm since 2003 and I did not know this! Did ypubguys know about.this "updated" slide lock spring?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Yes. The old thin slide lock spring was prone to breaking, leaving a broken off piece in the frame that even Glock Inc can't remove sometimes.

I don't know exactly when they switched to the new spring, but my GEA-prefix G23 with a test-fire date of May 2004 has the new spring.

3. F22c2007

F22c2007 New Member

Voyager thx for.your.reply. Makes me wonder how many Glock owners have actually noticed the redesigned slide lick spring in their firearms. Also, the born on dates, what flock of Glocks went out from the factory with the thinner spring. It really bothered me that I purchased my firearm brand new and I had no way of knowing that I had a faulty spring on my weapon.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

I have no idea what range of serial numbers used the thinner spring.

It sounds like your serial number prefix is somewhere in the early F-series. Some frames from the E-series and early F-series had a different type of rear frame rail that was more likely to break off and fall out of the frame. You might want to call Glock, speak to the Warranty Service Department, give them the exact serial number on the frame and ask if that frame was part of the "frame rail upgrade". They should also tell you if there are any other upgrades that should be done to your gun, if they mention the slide lock spring tell them that you had a gunsmith change it to the newest version for you, they don't like hearing that people are working on their own guns.

5. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Your gun could sit on the Gun Shop shelf for years before being purchased. It isn't a issue really.

Buy a Glock and have a certified Armorer check it out for up grades.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum F22c2007 !!

7. F22c2007

F22c2007 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replys. I will definately contact Glock to verify about the rear frame rails upgrade. Thanks again for all your replys!

8. F22c2007

F22c2007 New Member

Btw Voyager yes you are correct serial starts with F. :).

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Just to be clear, this will be a frame/receiver replacement.

10. F22c2007

F22c2007 New Member

Thanks G-23, I appreciate the information. Lets see what Glock, Inc advises.