Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Actually...they are suppressors !

Sell them where...?

http://www.surefire.com/ReinventingtheSuppressor

In the US, taxes and strict regulations affect the manufacture and sale of suppressors under the National Firearms Act (NFA). They are legal for individuals to possess and use for lawful purposes in thirty nine of the fifty states. However, a prospective user must go through an application process administered by the BATFE, which requires a Federal tax payment of $200.00 and a thorough NICS. The tax stamp is the legal document allowing possession of a suppressor. The following states have explicitly banned any civilian from possessing a suppressor: California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Personally, for a handgun, I would only use it on a .22. That way you can get it really quiet.
I really would only use one on a rifle, and I can think of a large number of uses.

Dream gun: a 10.5" AR in 5.56 with a suppressor. Nice compact package that will help prevent hearing loss while eliminating hogs. ;)

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
My father in law and I have a trust set up. We have 3 suppressors, 1 short barrel shotgun, and 1 short barrel AR-15. The suppressors are for our AR-15's and his S&W M&P .22/Ruger 10/22.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SHOOTER13 said:
Actually...they are suppressors !

Sell them where...?

http://www.surefire.com/ReinventingtheSuppressor

In the US, taxes and strict regulations affect the manufacture and sale of suppressors under the Ntional Firearms Act (NFA). They are legal for individuals to possess and use for lawful purposes in thirty nine of the fifty states. However, a prospective user must go through an application process administered by the BATFE, which requires a Federal tax payment of $200.00 and a thorough NICS. The tax stamp is the legal document allowing possession of a suppressor. The following states have explicitly banned any civilian from possessing a suppressor: California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island.
My bad. Suppressors... Here in TX there is a shop that sells the threaded barrels and "Suppressors" I'm so used to the secret agent stuff lol.

I'm thinking about getting a threaded barrel just because it'll be silver to go against the black on my 19... AND....it's already threaded for a suppressor.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Actually, the BATFE refers to them as silencers. Everyone else calls them suppressors because they "suppress" sounds and not silence the gun and because many people still believe silencers are illegal (which they aren't).

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Any local Class three dealer would be happy to walk you through the steps needed. Look one up and walk in to ask questions in person, it may turn out more helpful.

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
Any local Class three dealer would be happy to walk you through the steps needed. Look one up and walk in to ask questions in person, it may turn out more helpful.
THIS. Each state has different requirements. Here in Oklahoma it's pretty easy, considering. Since my FIL and I have a trust setup we just pay for said Class III item, fill out the paperwork with our trust's information, send it to the BATFE, and wait 6 months for a small little stamp to arrive at our FFL.

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
True...to a point

Actually, the BATFE refers to them as silencers. Everyone else calls them suppressors because they "suppress" sounds and not silence the gun and because many people still believe silencers are illegal (which they aren't).
Yes, BATFE actually does called them silencers...a misnomer on their part.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-silencer.html

Anybody who knows what they do, calls them suppressors...as they suppress the sound of the bullet by trapping and bleeding off the propellant gases of the fired cartridge via the use of baffles or wipes in the chamber of the metal tube. They also can reduce the velocity of the bullet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Oh no... You're making me want one. I already wanted one cause I wanted a silver barrel and can switch back to black if need be. BUT NOW! I can be James Bond / protect my house/ and not wake up my baby??? I'm sold!

$175 for a threaded barrel a good price?

·
Hard Work! Dedication!
4,537 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
thanks, I believe there is one about an hour from where I live.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
The usual suspects, Can you do anything at all in those states??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts