Sig mosquito?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by ash1012, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

By one have any experience with it. Im looking for a 22 Lr to take to the range and my LGS has a used one for a good deal? It's not for SD or HD. Just a shooter.

2. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

We have one. You have to keep it REALLY clean and it only likes CCI mini mags. It is fun to shoot but not made very well. IMO Too finicky.

3. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

So would you buy it all over again or go with something else?

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

A buddy bought one, loaned it to me for breaking in. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to put it through the paces with a variety of ammos to see what it likes. One thing I noticed already is that I'd hate to pay for spare mags on one at $40 a pop.

I'll report back tomorrow.

5. runman

runman New Member

I recently looked at the mosquito because i liked the feel of it in my hand but everybody I talked too and everything I read about it said it was finicky with ammo. Whole point of me buying it was something easy and fun to shoot so I went with the ruger SR22. Cheaper and comes with 2 mags. Only had the ruger on the range once, but 500 rounds through it without a problem.

6. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Yup that's what I've been recommending to everyone on the forum when they ask about a .22 that pistol is awesome!

7. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Personally, I would go with the Ruger SR22 if I were to do it over again. Or I should have bought what I wanted...a Ruger Single Six. But my wife really wanted a pink gun. :) It is fun to shoot and pretty accurate.

8. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

i have one that i feed a steady diet of cci blazer 22 ammo (not from the bulk pack) works great i also use it with assorted sub sonic ammo with the yankee hill mite on the end.. doesn't always cycle like that but it does exactly what i want it to do... :)

9. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I was thinking about getting that one but everyone that I talked to did not recommend it. I went with the M&P22 instead and love it.

10. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Do you put the bulk stuff through it

11. Dan75719

Dan75719 New Member

I just recently got it so I have not put much through it yet but I will only use the Federal (box of 550) or the CCI in a 22 because so many are picky with the ammo.

12. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

Thats good to know. The Walmart in my area always has the 550 box of federal

13. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I have a Mosquito that I like. I traded in a Walther P22 in for it. I enjoy shooting it and haven't had a problem with CCI mini-mags. I have been told that after running a few hundred CCI's through it, it will eat anything you like.

I do not like the magazine prices!

A lot of people like the M&P22. I haven't been able to use a Ruger SR22 yet.

14. DEZRTFOX

DEZRTFOX New Member

Hello my friends, I suggest a Ruger 22/45

image-1800803630.jpg

15. KeenansGarage

Love those things!

Now, if you want to practice for competitions or firing the larger calibers, then the mechanics are different. I was looking for a pistol with a full slide, so I could rack it, clear jams, etc while I practiced and saved money over 9mm. That is how I ended up with a walther p22 then a sig mosquito.

16. bhale187

I loved my Ruger, but it was such a PAIT to reassemble that I just gave up on it last year and sold it. Great shooter, super accurate, ate everything I fed it, tons of fun, but a pain to clean it.

17. bhale187

I shoot 100 rds of Remington Thunderbolt through my buddy's mosquito today, and no problems at all. I was running 10 yard head shots in fairly rapid fire without and problems. I ran out of time before I could try any other ammos, try pinpoint accuracy, or really stretch it's legs, but so far I'm very impressed.

18. ash1012

ash1012 New Member

It seems to be hit and miss with it. I know it's going to jam a few times. It's a 22. But it seems like it runs pretty good with good ammo. What do y'all think. I found a used one for around 250. Would you buy it

19. bhale187

absolutely

20. KeenansGarage

Yup! worth it. Go get it, if you don't like it, I bet you can get your money back.