Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
I dont know, should you? is it legal there? is it common? do you have any training? are you good with handling people? are you willing to give up all places that are no gun zones...

There is a lot to it, I open carry everyday... but i live in phoenix, where it is legal and not uncommon, and i have training and i handle people well who question me.

It is a personal decision not to be made lightly...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is legal. I havent seen many people open carry here. I have been through the ccw class. Just wanted to get some tips.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
jsindoni said:
Yes it is legal. I havent seen many people open carry here. I have been through the ccw class. Just wanted to get some tips.
Like what? Ask some specific questions so we can answer them for you. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
In NC you do not see many who OC, and I hate to say it most of the ones you do see are doing it for the wrong reasons. Like Blackwolf said what questions do you have?

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
It's extremely rare to see someone open carry in my area of Pa unless they are hunting. Even if open carry is legal (and commonly done) in your state, expect to speak to the police at least occasionally when you open carry. One person ignorant of the law can cause you to be delayed by them calling the police on you. I carry concealed because I prefer to avoid unnecessary/unwanted interruptions from the police.

·
Registered
553 Posts
jsindoni said:
Should i open carry?
Its your right, but check out these FAQs from the NC Rifle & Pistol Association....

http://www.ncrpa.org/faq/cch.shtml

"Private property owners and businesses can post "no guns."
Firearms are strictly prohibited on state-owned property, except rest areas and state lands where hunting is permitted.
Local governments can (and do) enact prohibitions against "display of firearms" in cities and/or specific areas within cities or counties, which means they can't be visible. Under this statute there is absolutely no requirement for the city or county to post notice of the display ban.
Local governments can (and do) enact firearms bans on local government property and in parks and recreational areas.
Any federally-owned property or federally-regulated property like banks and Post Offices is of course a prohibited area.
Much of the Outer Banks is "National Seashore," and firearms are prohibited in those areas.
So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.

So is open carry legal in NC? In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested. "

·
Banned
786 Posts
One nice thing about OC in NC is you can do it in your car as long as its in plain view. Its alot easier to skin your piece when its out in the open (secured) than being carried concealed. When I get out of the car it gets covered up. Riding the bike depends on what I am wearing and the season, but if it can be seen its no big deal and police everywhere do nothing but tip their hat at you....

·
Banned
786 Posts
Whats the best way to carry in your car in plain sight?
http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/cart.html

Is one. You could probably go sit in your car and figure out a good way to do it too.

Wife put this sticky pad on the dash that grips your phone on the dash. I set it there sometimes and hard braking or gettin on it never moves it, but I dont like the sun beating down on ot sometimes. Gets the slide too hot to just put in the pants lol....

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
I think another important question would be "WHO carries open in NC?" I am in the Asheville area and have yet to see one person carrying; actually south of Asheville, which seems to be a little more gun friendly than Asheville Proper. I have been in three different gun shops here and haven't even seen the people working in them carrying! In Florida, every gun shop you go to, the employees are carrying.

·
Banned
786 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way guys. No one should discourage anyone from doing something that is 100% legal. Some people would make a case to follow the herd over a cliff simply because everyone else is doing it.

Where legal we all have the right. Most sheeple dont even notice anyway. We should not discourage legal firearm activity on a GUN FORUM!!!

OP, research the local laws where you plan to do it and who cares if a civil servant (the police) dont know the law. If you are right you are right. Opinions or ill informed police can not change that. Exercise your rights as you see fit bro, just do it legaly.

Kids in them rice burners with coffee can mufflers dont care they break the noise ordinance. Maybe gun owners should start calling the police on them, maybe I wont have to listen to them then if we start cracking down on them lol... Ayways atleast OC IS legal.....

·
Registered
245 Posts
reagan said:
Its your right, but check out these FAQs from the NC Rifle & Pistol Association....

Firearms are strictly prohibited on state-owned property, except rest areas and state lands where hunting is permitted.
Local governments can (and do) enact prohibitions against "display of firearms" in cities and/or specific areas within cities or counties, which means they can't be visible. Under this statute there is absolutely no requirement for the city or county to post notice of the display ban.
Local governments can (and do) enact firearms bans on local government property and in parks and recreational areas.
Any federally-owned property or federally-regulated property like banks and Post Offices is of course a prohibited area.
Much of the Outer Banks is "National Seashore," and firearms are prohibited in those areas.
So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.

So is open carry legal in NC? In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested. "

Actually you can carry in The Cape Hatteras National Seashore. But you can't carry in the pea island wildlife area. I live on the Outer Banks and just went through the concealed carry course a month ago and we addressed that issue since we are 20 minutes from Hatteras.

·
8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)
3,451 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way guys. No one should discourage anyone from doing something that is 100% legal. Some people would make a case to follow the herd over a cliff simply because everyone else is doing it.

Where legal we all have the right. Most sheeple dont even notice anyway. We should not discourage legal firearm activity on a GUN FORUM!!!

OP, research the local laws where you plan to do it and who cares if a civil servant (the police) dont know the law. If you are right you are right. Opinions or ill informed police can not change that. Exercise your rights as you see fit bro, just do it legaly.

Kids in them rice burners with coffee can mufflers dont care they break the noise ordinance. Maybe gun owners should start calling the police on them, maybe I wont have to listen to them then if we start cracking down on them lol... Ayways atleast OC IS legal.....
I wasn't suggesting no one open carry and I'm not implying that you were implying that I was :D I am seriously wondering who in NC open carries. I thought it was strange when I got up here and noticed no one did. I am in sales and am out roaming around all over the place in public most of the day and have yet to see it. Maybe it's just the area. Seems like a gun friendly area though. There are a few gun shops and ranges, even a couple of bow shops. I don't personally plan on open carrying; at least not regularly but it's nice to know I can if I want to for one reason or another. What part of NC are you in?

·
Registered
245 Posts
reagan said:

And I know you got that from the link I just read it. But how long ago has it been since that's been updated. One of the instructors of my CC class is part of the nc rifle and pistol association and informed us that now you can carry within the National Seashore.

·
Registered
411 Posts
BORIS said:

It looks like they're trying to guide him to a good decision and have him avoid unnecessary encounters and/or legal battles. I obviously agree with exercising your rights to carry but when you're in places where OC is legal but uncommon it is better to use discretion and go concealed, you save yourself time/trouble and you save the police from responding to an avoidable call for service. Like someone stated prior, " just cause you can, doesn't mean you should". Also even though i understand what you're saying and i agree lol, you can't compare a call for a noise violation to a call for man with a gun. Remember, you want to avoid unnecessary encounters as much as possible.

·
28 Posts
Why would you ever open carry at all? You just make yourself a target! The element of suprise is more affective in a robbery or hostage scenario. Do yourself a favor and dont stick out!

·
Banned
786 Posts
I wasn't suggesting no one open carry and I'm not implying that you were implying that I was :D I am seriously wondering who in NC open carries. I thought it was strange when I got up here and noticed no one did. I am in sales and am out roaming around all over the place in public most of the day and have yet to see it. Maybe it's just the area. Seems like a gun friendly area though. There are a few gun shops and ranges, even a couple of bow shops. I don't personally plan on open carrying; at least not regularly but it's nice to know I can if I want to for one reason or another. What part of NC are you in?
Fayetteville area. First day I was in the area I seen 3 people OCing in the same Restaurant I was CCing in. I felt like the oddball. I see bikers almost daily OCing. If a week goes by I dont see it, then its a rare week. I also work with a reserve officer for the city and asked him how they feel about the issue. He did nothing but shrug his shoulders and said people that OC are not the people they are worried about.

Some people opine they want to get the drop on a gunman. If the gunman observes you observing his odd behavior he most likely wont notice your gun until you skin it. Seriously, go out and OC where legal and watch just how few notice your gun.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
obxglock said:
Actually you can carry in The Cape Hatteras National Seashore. But you can't carry in the pea island wildlife area. I live on the Outer Banks and just went through the concealed carry course a month ago and we addressed that issue since we are 20 minutes from Hatteras.
I believe you are absolutely correct, as I also just went through the class and the instructor said as much. My concern in my reply to the post was more to emphasize the
" terror of the people " statute which could really get you in a fix.....Thanks for the input! Always like to be informed. IBX friend.

·
Banned
786 Posts
To be honest, only time have done and will do it is when the wife and kids are with me. A family man is probably less likely to be seen as a terror than a lone one I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts