Glock Forum banner

Should I buy a Ruger GP100?

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Glenn34 
#1 ·
All of us have our wish list for guns, right? In my .357 magnum revolver category, I have the S&W 686.

However, I have the chance to buy a Ruger GP100 for $399 in used but very good condition. Is this a good buy? I'm not a revolver guy, so I'm looking for some help here. What do I check when looking at a used wheel gun? I dry fired it and it was very smooth in double and single action. It has the Hogue rubber grips and is quite comfortable in my large mitts.

I went to the local range tonight and rented a GP100 and a S&W 686 for comparison. I was initially more accurate with the 686 but I was able to dial in the Ruger quite well. A new 686 sells for $750 in these parts, so I'm really leaning towards this deal on the Ruger.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me.

--Glenn34
--- now more of a Glenn19 :)

#2 ·
Timing and endshake are the issues to check on a revolver. Endshake is play fore and aft of the cylinder and timing is the lockup of the cylinder as it revolves into position.
The good news is that most revolvers nowadays don't get fired all that much so those issues aren't seen that often.
Rugers are stout great revolvers. I'm a Smith guy but appreciate all good revolvers. Price seems good.

#3 ·
Glenn34 said:
All of us have our wish list for guns, right? In my .357 magnum revolver category, I have the S&W 686.

However, I have the chance to buy a Ruger GP100 for $399 in used but very good condition. Is this a good buy? I'm not a revolver guy, so I'm looking for some help here. What do I check when looking at a used wheel gun? I dry fired it and it was very smooth in double and single action. It has the Hogue rubber grips and is quite comfortable in my large mitts.

I went to the local range tonight and rented a GP100 and a S&W 686 for comparison. I was initially more accurate with the 686 but I was able to dial in the Ruger quite well. A new 686 sells for $750 in these parts, so I'm really leaning towards this deal on the Ruger.

--Glenn34
U can get a sweet .357 sp101 Ruger hammerless. 2.25 inch barrel New for $484 and awsome to carry as well

#4 ·
Glenn34 said:

--Glenn34

Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material Trigger Metal

Actually cheaper than I got mine .. I paid $484. On sale now I guess lol

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice, Danzig.

Glocknload, The reviews I've seen say the SP101 is lighter and has more recoil than the GP100, so is harder to handle when shooting hotter loads. I'm also looking for a range gun with an external hammer, not a carry gun. I should have mentioned this in my first post.

Thanks,
Glenn

#8 ·
Glenn34 said:

--Glenn34
I have a friend in the Michigan State Police Forensic Firearms Lab who swears by GP100s. He's told me they are the one revolver that will not go out of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.