Should I buy a Ruger GP100?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Glenn34, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Glenn34

Glenn34 Gun Nut

All of us have our wish list for guns, right? In my .357 magnum revolver category, I have the S&W 686.

However, I have the chance to buy a Ruger GP100 for $399 in used but very good condition. Is this a good buy? I'm not a revolver guy, so I'm looking for some help here. What do I check when looking at a used wheel gun? I dry fired it and it was very smooth in double and single action. It has the Hogue rubber grips and is quite comfortable in my large mitts.

I went to the local range tonight and rented a GP100 and a S&W 686 for comparison. I was initially more accurate with the 686 but I was able to dial in the Ruger quite well. A new 686 sells for $750 in these parts, so I'm really leaning towards this deal on the Ruger.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me.

--Glenn34
    --- now more of a Glenn19 :)

2. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Timing and endshake are the issues to check on a revolver. Endshake is play fore and aft of the cylinder and timing is the lockup of the cylinder as it revolves into position.
    The good news is that most revolvers nowadays don't get fired all that much so those issues aren't seen that often.
    Rugers are stout great revolvers. I'm a Smith guy but appreciate all good revolvers. Price seems good.

3. Blaze

Blaze Active Member Supporter

U can get a sweet .357 sp101 Ruger hammerless. 2.25 inch barrel New for $484 and awsome to carry as well

4. Blaze

image-125763758.jpg

Actually cheaper than I got mine .. I paid $484. On sale now I guess lol

5. Blaze

image-3607507276.jpg

He is price

6. Glenn34

Glenn34 Gun Nut

Thanks for the advice, Danzig.

Glocknload, The reviews I've seen say the SP101 is lighter and has more recoil than the GP100, so is harder to handle when shooting hotter loads. I'm also looking for a range gun with an external hammer, not a carry gun. I should have mentioned this in my first post.

Thanks,
    Glenn

7. EvilD

EvilD New Member

I'd go Ruger over Smith all day long. Personal preferce, I just dont' like what Smith did to us during the CLinton Ban, Ruger wasn't any better, but I feel their weapons are far superior to Smith.

8. ckuenzer331

ckuenzer331 Member

I have a friend in the Michigan State Police Forensic Firearms Lab who swears by GP100s. He's told me they are the one revolver that will not go out of time.

9. Glenn34

Glenn34 Gun Nut

Just bought it! She's a beauty.

10. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

Pics, Please.

I have a GP100 6" barrel. I had some trigger work and a new spring put in. It is closer to a Colt Python than any of the other revolvers I have.

11. RFSpectrum

RFSpectrum New Member

I have had a 4" GP 100 for 20 years and love it. Great gun, super rugged and accurate. One I would take anywhere.

12. Glenn34

Glenn34 Gun Nut

Here she is:

Attached Files:

13. Scorpion911

Scorpion911 SheepDog

I have a GP100 that I have had for many years. I carried it for duty and thankfully never had to use it. Other then the stock grips I wouldn't change a thing its my favorite revolver!

14. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Very nice. You made out on that one!

I've got the predecessor of the GP100,
    Ruger Security Six

image-4023565719.jpg

15. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Well-Known Member

That is nice.

I like the matte finish because it doesn't scratch. They're built like tanks.

Shoot it for a while then consider a trigger job from an experienced gunsmith.

16. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

Thank you sir... you have just started my gun lust for the day! I love it and I want one now...looks like a beast of a wheel gun!

17. Glenn34

Glenn34 Gun Nut

It sure is a beast. Heavy and very well put together. The double action trigger is smooth as butter. Now I need to find time to shoot it.

18. Glenn34

Glenn34 Gun Nut

Went to the range today. I think this could be my new favorite. Shot some Herter's brass .357 mag and .38 special. Accuracy was great, recoil very manageable, trigger very smooth. Best double action pull in my collection.

Here's a target shot from 15 yards in single action:

Attached Files: