Glock Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody has one these pistol safes?
What's your opinion?

I have a big (fire-burglar rated) American Security safe for guns/rifles and important documents. But I am looking for something smaller for the daily storage/access.

I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blackwolffcf said:
Never heard of them… Why not go with Gunvault? they are more affordable and they have faster access…

I sell these for $140+shipping

http://www.gunvault.com/sv500.html
I have read bad reviews about gunvalt. Also I would like to put a few small things inside.
This one is all mechanical like the Fort Knox Pistol Box.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm not familiar with the brand, but I've seen similar. They're pretty hard to screw up, as long as they're using decent steel in making the box.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
jonm61 said:
I'm not familiar with the brand, but I've seen similar. They're pretty hard to screw up, as long as they're using decent steel in making the box.
It's a 14 gauge steel.
The Fort Knox is 10 for the case and like a 7 for the door. Stronger all around, but heavier too.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
For something of that size, 14 gauge is probably fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you want something secure to keep your HD gun in? If you aren't comfortable with electronics and many people aren't for their HD gun then look for the heavier gauge boxes that are available such as the Fort Knox that you mentioned or the FAS1 Safe that is 7 gauge steel on all sides. V-Line is a little thinner gauge (14 maybe?) but also uses a mechanical lock. Should be similar to the Shotlock in box strength. All have their advantages and it would depend on where you want to mount it and how much extra room you need. I don't think GV makes anything out of steel thicker than 16 ga. Your kids won't destroy it, but a thief probably wouldn't take long to gain access. Also, look to see how hard or easy it would be to get a prying object in the door. If you can get something in there anything less than 7ga can be bent pretty easily. A heavy gauge door is a good thing to have. In the end they all just buy you time, hopefully enough to discourage them and they move on.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's basically to store my primary gun during those few moments that I don't have it on me, and still make it accessible. Or to store a second gun. Or leave one close for the wife for the few times I'm out of town.

I have a good safe for the rest of the guns and rifles, but it is one of those with a combination lock that needs some time to open.
And yes, I prefer mechanical locks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You could also look at www.center-of-mass.com. Their car safes are small, can be cabled or wall mounted, are mechanical or key, and leave little room for a prying tool, unlike many other small safes. I have one in my car, cabled to the rear of my seat and it slides under the back of the front passenger seat. Even when it's just laying on the floor behind the passenger seat, it matches my interior well enough to be hard to see, especially through tinted windows. It's a 3 digit combo. If you're planning on wall mounting it, you could mount it to a stud using 3 or 4 inch wood screws and any thief who was going to try to take it would be there for a while. :)

I was looking at a bio-metric safe but the husband is totally against it.
Biometrics on most of the lower end safes are unreliable. I spent a long time looking at them and reading reviews because a friend wanted one. He was afraid his young son would be able to figure out, even accidentally, a combination safe because he seems to have a knack for hitting the right keys on keyboards and remotes to do things he shouldn't; he's not even a year yet.

Basically, any of the small, portable safes are going to have cheap fingerprint readers that don't work well for half the people that use them, at least based on reviews. It's not until you get into the big, expensive, safes that you have a decent chance of it being reliable. Digital combinations with backup keys in case the battery dies are probably the quickest reliable alternative to mechanical combination safes.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The center-of-mass looks great too. Although it is expensive compared to shotlock with the same features.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeah, but you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jonm61 said:
Yeah, but you get what you pay for...
I know. I value your opinion.
That's why I am asking about the Shotlock. It's cheaper and it looks like it doesn't compromise anything in relation to the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have read a lot of negative feedback about the biometric safes. Our mane concern is not being able to access our guns if we were faced with an intruder but I cannot just leave them out all the time, I have a 13 year-old son. I have recently taught him to shoot and he is very smart and exhibits all gun safety when with me or his father but I still have doubt (that's just the mommy in me). Hubbs grew up with guns all over and none locked up so we have different opinions.

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
I too have read a lot of negative feedback about the biometric safes. Our mane concern is not being able to access our guns if we were faced with an intruder but I cannot just leave them out all the time, I have a 13 year-old son. I have recently taught him to shoot and he is very smart and exhibits all gun safety when with me or his father but I still have doubt (that's just the mommy in me). Hubbs grew up with guns all over and none locked up so we have different opinions.
So is he against the Biometric safe because he wants them accessible at all times or because he is concerned about reliability and getting a false negative on the fingerprint read?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you're worried about your son getting it, then I would go with a key lock. At night, or when home, you can unlock it or leave the key in the lock, and then just take the key with you when you leave.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.