Glock Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not a shotgun guy... had this question:

Friend of mine is going to get a NEF Parnder 20 Gauge for his kid.

He'd like to shoot slugs out of it. Can he do so with the included modified choke or MUST he change out.

I know NEF and H&R were the same company back in the day.

Has anyone had any experience with their RECENT builds? From what I've head the NEF stuff is now Made in China.

D

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is made in China and I have seen one at Walmart that was made in some other country. Fairly inexpensive shotgun, I bought a 12 Gauge from Dick's Sporting Goods for a little over $200. It said New England Firearms with some town in Connecticut on it and Made in China on another place. I later sold it for $200.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To shoot slugs you need to take the choke off. The choke is only for hunting with different types of shot. The one I had came with 18 inch barrel and didn't have threads for a choke.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To shoot slugs you need to take the choke off. The choke is only for hunting with different types of shot. The one I had came with 18 inch barrel and didn't have threads for a choke.
Thanks.

He has to have something there,... "cylander choke" maybe?

Otherwise the threads get buggered up.

D

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
Improved cylinder is pretty much the standard for a smooth bore. It will more than likely give the best accuracy with rifled slugs. You can shoot rifled slugs through all choke tubes. The diameter of the slug is smaller than the diameter of even a super full choke tube.

Do not ever unless your life depends on it shoot a shotgun, threaded for removable choke tubes, without a tube installed! To do so would be blatantly stupid and dangerous to the gun and the user.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry about the bad advice. I remembered from gun class and a buddy of mine telling me not to shoot slugs through a full choke. I didn't even think about the threads getting messed up.

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
It's ok. Years ago, ammo companies started making rifled slugs smaller for safety reasons. Now, all of the slugs will pass through any choke tube without trouble. The exception would be in custom made turkey shoot type guns that are choked down to throw a super small group and yes, put a slug in one of those, be ready to blow the end of the barrel apart.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Umy opinion spend the extra get a Remington 870 with two barrels and shot the slug barrel and don't worry.!

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the Remington 870, I believe it is one of the easier shot guns to disassemble.
Umy opinion spend the extra get a Remington 870 with two barrels and shot the slug barrel and don't worry.!
Thanks for the response, guys, but that wasn't the question. :rolleyes:

The NEF choice has already been made and the OP was about the functionality of choke tubes and slug rounds.

His kid is NOT big enough for a Rem870. He looked at the Moss Youth, but decided it wasn't worth getting something that expensive for his kid to outgrow.

Speaking of the Rem 870...
Did you know that H&R/NEF (New England firearms) were bought by Marlin which were later bought by Remington? So, he IS purchasing a Remington (just made in China). ;)

Supposedly, the NEF Pardner Pump shotguns are clones of the Rem 870 and most of the parts, with the exception of the barrels interchange. No idea if this is true or not, we'll see.

Again, thanks for the responses.

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts