Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out at 6am to the desert to try out my new gun (early, but worth it!) I thought that I handled the recoil pretty well. Did not hit anything, but sure had fun trying. ;)

Attachments

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
Looks like you had fun...welcome to the club!:D

·
just wants to watch the world burn.
1,021 Posts
Great pic brash! Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it here!

·
just wants to watch the world burn.
1,021 Posts
Hahaha and so the obsession begins! Hahahahaha -evil laugh-

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Brash_N_Sassy said:
Went out at 6am to the desert to try out my new gun (early, but worth it!) I thought that I handled the recoil pretty well. Did not hit anything, but sure had fun trying. ;)
As long as you had fun! That's all that matters. I remember when I went out to shoot my first handgun about 10 years ago. I couldn't hit the proverbial "broad side of a barn", but by the second time out (and a little research) I was plinking away nicely. I wasn't going to win any competitions but i could at least hit close to where I was aiming.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good idea getting out early and beating the desert heat, looks like you had a fun time! That's what it is all about. And yes they are addicting. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Outstanding. We need more female gun addicts. It would balance the rest of us out a little. Welcome. Stick with it, it will come to you. Just remember the fundamentals.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That looks like the High Desert near Lancaster Ca. Being from a Desert I understand the need to go early! Shooting just takes Practice! I hope you have some one around that knows Shooting who can help. Dry Fire at night will help you learn the trigger. Start shooting at close range and work your way back as you get better! Set up paper targets on cardboard so you can see where you are shooting. Once you start getting groups you can figure out what you need to do to improve your shooting! Have a Ball and enjoy your new found obsessions! If there is a Shotting school around you I would also suggest you take a class. My Daughter turns 21 next week and I will buy her a Glock and I have already purchased her a lifetime membership to Front Sight so she can get training. I have taught firearms training for over 20 yrs and have worked with her but I also feel she will benefit from going to the training!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sgtcowboyusmc said:
That looks like the High Desert near Lancaster Ca. Being from a Desert I understand the need to go early! Shooting just takes Practice! I hope you have some one around that knows Shooting who can help. Dry Fire at night will help you learn the trigger. Start shooting at close range and work your way back as you get better! Set up paper targets on cardboard so you can see where you are shooting. Once you start getting groups you can figure out what you need to do to improve your shooting! Have a Ball and enjoy your new found obsessions! If there is a Shotting school around you I would also suggest you take a class. My Daughter turns 21 next week and I will buy her a Glock and I have already purchased her a lifetime membership to Front Sight so she can get training. I have taught firearms training for over 20 yrs and have worked with her but I also feel she will benefit from going to the training!
I'm in Vegas, but it's still hot! This is my first Glock but not my first gun, I also have a Sig Sauer and a Taurus that I love to shoot all the time. My father in law is a Federal Firearms Instructor and he has taught me the basics for now, but he is older and not so patient with my millions of questions. while at the gun show yesterday we saw targets that the hubby's going to make for me, mostly from wood. I love the targets that change when punctured, but with the glock I pretty much was just pointing. There is a local range that is trying to get female shooters and offer free Wednesdays, I'll be there much more often now :) I have read that one should snap caps when dry firing, what is your take on that? Also! I just saw a video on YouTube and he claims to have knowledge from a Glock Armor to us baby wipes.......what do you think about that as well?

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
This is my first Glock but not my first gun, I also have a Sig Sauer and a Taurus that I love to shoot all the time. My father in law is a Federal Firearms Instructor and he has taught me the basics for now, but he is older and not so patient with my millions of questions.
Brash,

Sorry about implying it being your first time shooting. I guess I just read it that way but should have recognized that it was the first time shooting your Glock.

If your father-in-law is a FFI then I would think even though his patients may be waning I'd want to pick his brain as much as I could.:D

You picked a great Glock to start out on too!:cool:

·
Banned
1,000 Posts

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
I'm in Vegas, but it's still hot! This is my first Glock but not my first gun, I also have a Sig Sauer and a Taurus that I love to shoot all the time. My father in law is a Federal Firearms Instructor and he has taught me the basics for now, but he is older and not so patient with my millions of questions. while at the gun show yesterday we saw targets that the hubby's going to make for me, mostly from wood. I love the targets that change when punctured, but with the glock I pretty much was just pointing. There is a local range that is trying to get female shooters and offer free Wednesdays, I'll be there much more often now :) I have read that one should snap caps when dry firing, what is your take on that? Also! I just saw a video on YouTube and he claims to have knowledge from a Glock Armor to us baby wipes.......what do you think about that as well?
I don't know about the baby wipes but I do use snap caps for dry fire practice. I think they really help with making it more of a real experience. They are also great to learn how to clean different types of misfeeds.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah us Old Codgers can be impatient sometimes:rolleyes: but we mean well!:D Yup as soon as I posted that saying it looked like Lancaster Ca I immediately thought "And Vegas and Idaho and Utah and... Just about every High Desert I have been in :D Cool Glad you have resources to use. Obviously the people on this thread are a tremendous Help as they have a ton of knowledge. Nothing wrong with using snap caps. One thing that will make you a better shooter and will help keep you from flinching is have your Husband load your mag and have him put live rounds and snap caps mixed. When you get to the snap cap it will tell on you if you are flinching or jerking the trigger. I have to do this periodically or I get to slapping the trigger and flinching a bunch! As far as Baby wipes only use them if they are Lotion Free. I use alcohol wipes from Wallyworld.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CCSir said:
Brash,

Sorry about implying it being your first time shooting. I guess I just read it that way but should have recognized that it was the first time shooting your Glock.

If your father-in-law is a FFI then I would think even though his patients may be waning I'd want to pick his brain as much as I could.:D

You picked a great Glock to start out on too!:cool:
In no way did take your input offensive in any way ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sgtcowboyusmc said:
Yeah us Old Codgers can be impatient sometimes:rolleyes: but we mean well!:D Yup as soon as I posted that saying it looked like Lancaster Ca I immediately thought "And Vegas and Idaho and Utah and... Just about every High Desert I have been in :D Cool Glad you have resources to use. Obviously the people on this thread are a tremendous Help as they have a ton of knowledge. Nothing wrong with using snap caps. One thing that will make you a better shooter and will help keep you from flinching is have your Husband load your mag and have him put live rounds and snap caps mixed. When you get to the snap cap it will tell on you if you are flinching or jerking the trigger. I have to do this periodically or I get to slapping the trigger and flinching a bunch! As far as Baby wipes only use them if they are Lotion Free. I use alcohol wipes from Wallyworld.
I always have a million questions and everyone on here is loaded with knowledge. I like the snap cap trick, might have to try that next time.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
Congrats on the new 26. Hot up here in Reno too. The fire index is high right now, so most of us have been waiting for the temps to drop a bit.

Enjoy the new Glock & see you on the forum.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hey Sassy here is a Video made by Hickok 45 (Who most of us on here are fans of) showing what I was talking about with the snap caps. He makes his own dummy rounds but it is the same principle! Thought you might enjoy this!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU&feature=BFa&list=UL22msLVCtPk8[/ame]

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
sgtcowboyusmc said:
hey Sassy here is a Video made by Hickok 45 (Who most of us on here are fans of) showing what I was talking about with the snap caps. He makes his own dummy rounds but it is the same principle! Thought you might enjoy this!
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU&feature=BFa&list=UL22msLVCtPk8
Sgt, nice video. Another way is if you have a laser sight, watching the targeting point while pulling the trigger is a great learning technique. Just discovered that while sighting in my ny laser...

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,592 Posts
Todd Jarrett made a video for CrimsonTrace . Dealers used to give them out if you asked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts