Shot a G29 - 10mm for the first time in my life

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by BocaDan, May 28, 2012.

1. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

While at the range with my 91/30 & G34, the guy next to me let me shoot his G29. This was the first time I've ever seen & held a G29 and also ever fired a 10mm.

Now I know that 40S&W is a "lighter" version of 10mm, and I've shot a friend's Walther in that caliber a few weeks ago. The recoil was very unpleasant, naturally I was expecting a "horrible" experience with a stronger caliber, in a lighter weight Glock.

Needless to say I was very much surprised. The G29 was VERY controllable, and while the recoil was a tad harder than my G34, I don't think it was any worse than a regular 1911 style 45ACP. Very impressed...

2. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

One of my all time favorite guns!

3. I have actually never shot a 10mm, i would love too. I may actually shoot a Gen4 G29 before committing to purchase a G27.

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

If you like .40 or .45, you'll love 10mm. I've been primarily a .40 shooter and for some reason got the 10mm bug. It was most likely because of all of the 10mm folks on GT, who affectionately call it the "death ray". :) I happened upon a used 29SF in a gun shop that looked like it hadn't been shot since the factory. Even the top of the barrel hood looked factory new. I was hesitant because I'd never shot one. The guy at the LGS had 7 or 8 rounds of loose 10mm ammo and he let me shoot it before I bought it. I walked out of the range with a huge grin on my face and said "ring it up!" It was simply awesome. I have a 1911 in 10mm and it's another one that I'm in love with. It's a cheap Auto Ordnance that's stock, but it's still an awesome gun to shoot! It's a project gun; I have to fit the new parts, get new sights and get it finished!

5. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Yup, re-echoing myself but when my next gssf coupon comes, a 10mm Glock will definitely be a "purchase candidate"...

6. The only .40 I have ever fired is a SA XD Custom, and I loved it. Been wanting a .40 Glock smaller than my 19 because I love my 26. hence the 27. Hmm...now you got me thinking.

7. BocaDan

BocaDan New Member

Not to sound overly enthusiastic, but I REALLY loved it. I'm not too crazy about EDC or "smaller" frames, so I can't even begin to imagine how awesome the G20 would be.

8. I love my 19 for EDC, but there is some real extra comfort to be had carrying the 26. My new EDC is going to be a 27, or now, a 29.

I guess the big question is how readily is 10mm available compared to .40 and 9mm? Right now I can grab 9mm at any Walmart around, and they all have ample supplies of .40. I do not know a whole lot about 10mm aside from how it came to be.

9. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

One thing to note is most 10mm target ammo today is about the same power as standard 40s&w. I was shocked when I read some of the ballistics for the ammo offered at most stores.

10. Do you have a source for that? The charts i have viewed in the past put 10mm average above that of .40

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I have the G-20, Nuk is Duracoating the frame and slide now in OD Green. I love the feel of the 10 mm, not bad to handle at all. I see a G-29 in my neer future as well.

12. While 10mm is awesome, the ammo is in some places is hard to find and considerably more costly to shoot at the range.

13. Glad you reminded me of this. Is the 29 the same thickness in the grip as the 20? Your grip would be very hard for me too shoot, your hands are clearly bigger than mine lol. I would need to do grip reduction on a 20 to shoot it comfortably.

14. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

Yeah, read the back of the boxes of ammo. For example American Eagle target ammo in 10mm (pic attached) and 40s&w (pic attached). For target ammo this is not uncommon. The 10mm stuff cost over $30 and the 40 was $15. This is not unusual for 10mm target ammo. Shoot full power 1300+ fps 10mm and there is a pretty big difference in recoil. Shoot the wimpy target stuff and it feels like a 40. I checked several target loads in different brands and to 1000 fps is pretty average for 10mm. 950+ is average for 40. Defense loads are a different story.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  15. Thanks. Thats a pretty big jump in cost also. One nice thing about the 19/26 is for $40 I can send hundreds of rounds down the range. WB 9mm here is $16 for 100

16. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Yes, the 29 is the same thickness, but you could always get the SF model. I do have paws like a bear.:D

17. Interesting. Makes me wonder if the 27 will be uncomfortable as well. Your 20 is the first Glock 10mm that has been sent to me (frame anyway) and i thought holy cow i can barely get my hand around this thing.

18. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

The 20 has a huge grip. That's why I had to get mine reduced. I think even the SF is too big. But it sure shoots nice. :)

19. Yep you gotta be a big dude to not need reduction on that. Of all the Glocks sent to me to be reduced i'm betting the 20 is going to be #1

20. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Nuk, I am only 5'6". GAgal even shoots it. I also have the G-27, very mild for a sub compact 40. You would be very surprised with it. Smooth and accurate.