Shooting with Tryfocals

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Glock22Gen3, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

How many others are there like me, have to use trifocals. Do you use them to shoot or your top prescription.

I've learned to shoot using the top prescription making the sites blurry, and qualified with a 98% and 100% that way. Today I was practicing draw and dry fire with the trifocals and I may need to rethink my habits.

I know most may say do what's best for you, but I'd like to hear what other Grandpa's have found more comfortable for them LOL.

2. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

A good friend of mine in KY said he had to take his glasses off and shot great. His vision may be different, but when he uses his line-less trifocals, he ends up shooting to the left every time.

3. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I tried the no line and did not get along with them at all, so I went back to the lined. I can't see for sh*t with out my glasses so I leave them on. I guess I should try with out them just in-case they get knocked off.

4. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Thank God I'm not the only one with eye and sight problems. I use my regular glasses all of the time, I had them move the bifocal up a little higher in new lenses and it seems to make a nice difference, as I can see the front sight well and the target is blurry, if I wear regular shooting glasses I can see the front sight clearly and the target fairly well. I am going to ask about trifocal lenses at my next eye appointment in March. For now I am cheating and using a laser sight.

5. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I've got the trifocals in my work glasses raised up. I can flip my welding helmet down and see right through them making it a clear view when I weld. I need to give them a try the next time I shoot and see what I think, well I could just get them now and practice dry fire too.

I may have them raised in my street glasses if I do OK with my work glasses. I did qualify OK, but I'd sure like to see if I can improve my site view better!

6. sredtruck

sredtruck New Member

My family has owned an optical co. all my life and I have worked there for a number of years. I know a little about glasses. I was thinking the same thing the other day since I wear the no line bifocals now. I can't come up with any good solution for this, either your sights or your target will have to be blurry. I have been thinking of some kind of a middle range Rx that would make both somewhat clear but not crystal clear for either. With the no lines you can just tip your head to make either clear. With trifocals you can do the same to some degree. Either way you may have to do some experimenting. All of the no line lens companies offer a guarantee and will replace them if the don't work out for you.

7. RogerH

RogerH New Member

gosh i have progressive bifocals think ill do just reg ones cus it is a pain trying to shoot

8. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I tried the no line after using lined and I couldn't make them work.

9. Levelcross

Levelcross New Member

Glock22Gen3, after welding for over 20 years I too had to start playing with the bifocal positions in my glasses. I tried the cheater lenses in my welding hood to ease eye strain with some success. Now shooting is where I need the help, I am looking for a red dot sight to try. The sight challenged need to unite on this LOL. Post what works for each other.

10. DON1962

DON1962 New Member

I not only have trifocals but they have a prism to correct double vision. At times on the range I'm sure people looking at me think I'm staring at the ceiling when I shoot. I stopped aiming a few years back and just point and shoot. I do very well using this method once I learn where my gun shoots. I won't be able to aim and align the sights in a self defense situation anyway especially in my home at night.

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Just starting to need cheaters to read...but I don't need them to shoot. I'm far sighted...

12. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I've been welding now for 32 years. The last 24 I've been a jig welder. I've done the measure and fit up and hope all goes well before, what I do know, I'm happy just putting my time in doing a brain dead job. I've seen the magnified lenses for the helmet but I never got one. Once I got my trifocals raised I was pleased with that.

My qualification test, 50 rounds 3,5,7,15, then 25 yards. The 3 in the stomach are 5 yards fast draw shooting at the hip! I scored a 100% all are in the Q. And I used my top prescription but, out side in bright light where I could make out the white of the round sites. Inside I have a bit of an issue making out the fuzz LOL, I can't see the white of my sites.

I've got nice sites, truglo night sites. In the dusk and pitch dark there great the green is easy to see even with my glasses off. I guess I should have spent the extra money on the TFO. The fiber optic from what I understand catches even the smallest amount of light making the sites easy to see in all lighting conditions, and they still have the tritium for seeing in pitch dark.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  13. Junior-G-man

Junior-G-man Beak 'em Hawks!

I wear no line tri-focals too. I find that if I concentrate on making the front sight clear and holding it on the bullseye I will shoot much better. The target will look a little fuzzy but you will shoot a lot better.

Depending on your prescription...or your preference, you can use the part of your lens that works best or you can buy a pair of readers in the diopter you need to see your sight picture the clearest. Clear up your sight picture and you will improve your scores.