Shooting Left

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by wvglockguy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. wvglockguy

wvglockguy New Member

My groupings aren't all that bad. Granted my left arm support hand is numb most of the time and sometimes my trigger finger due to health issues...but here is my dilemma.

The first picture is my grouping of 10 rds Rem. UMC 115 gr. FMJ. its on the colored target. The target itself is the size of a compact disc.

The second is my Dad's grouping of 10 rds of the same.
    He's the guy that taught me how to shoot a pistol. I don't get it.
    Both of us shoot left of center...his is worse however b/c he's only shot my Glock twice now.

what's the deal? can you adjust glock factory sights? believe me there
    's no flinching being done.

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Yes...you can drift the sights to perfect alignment.

3. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

Yes they can be adjusted. The set screw in the middle of the rear site has to loosened but I suggest having a Glock armor do it or buying the tool. Dont hit them with a punch is my feelings. I shoot just like you! I can let my son in law shoot mine and me shoot his and it's not my gun, it's me! I'm going to buy the rear site tool then take it to the range and tweak the sites to me. We even tried a teaching drill my son in law went through, all I do is hold the gun and focus on the target and he pulls the trigger, and I still shoot to the left. So it must be a week grip with my left hand. When I grab hard I did better but it wasn't comfortable. So I'm tweaking my sites.

4. 99% of the time it's in the finger and how it's being used.

That and/or the operators grip on the weapon.

[​IMG]

5. wvglockguy

wvglockguy New Member

Sweet! Thanks! And thanks for the diagram MikeP. I pull yhe trigger with the center of my index finger before the first joint.

6. I would practice a little more before jacking around with the factory set sights, they are rarely off. You could get a set of calipers and measure them or do a visual by looking straight down on the rear sight and determine if the amount of slide ledge that's on each side of the factory sight is equal.

7. wvglockguy

wvglockguy New Member

600 rounds in it so far and it's still off.
    As far as self defense i'm in the clear.
    I can still cover every group up with the palm of my hand.
    But i want those tight groups.

8. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

i use to shoot to the left as well, but by switching from the bend of my trigger finger to the tip pad of my finger, i was able to pull a straighter shot. try that before you mess with your sights. Glock has a long trigger pull to me, considering one gets use to the hammer fall of a 1911 style pistol where its just a tad squeeze away.

9. wvglockguy

wvglockguy New Member

I grew up shooting revolvers.

10. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

Me three. What got me flustered is when I just held my gun while my son in law pulled the trigger and I still shot left. We left the card with the info to help me at home. Looks like I have to try to grip different.

11. wvglockguy

wvglockguy New Member

I've heard that of you turn your hand between the thumb and index finger to align the sights straight with your forearm that it helps too. I'll just have to experiment this weekend.

12. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

What distance were you shooting those groups at?

13. wvglockguy

wvglockguy New Member

21 ft. Thats why i'm confused. I can get groups roughly the same at 25 yds.

14. bluzy788

bluzy788 New Member

Could also be too much pressure on support side hand. If you're squeezing hard with that hand, you'll group to that side. Thumbs should be up and out of the way as well, as they can also affect impact if they are pushing on the frame. Dont adjust your sights until you're sure it's not your trigger finger nor your grip.

15. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

OK dumb question time. What the heck is thumbing? I noticed today that I'm starting to shoot left a bit as well. And it is me not the gun, same result on three different guns.

On the plus side, I found out that my left eye dominance that has plagued me is no longer an issue. I have developed ambidextrous eyes! I can shoot left or right eyed :D