Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out shooting the other day and thought I would try my skills of my left hand. Wow do I suck. It feels real weird to shoot and still use my right eye. Should I try to train my left eye or keep using my right? I'm right handed dominate. Or do I just get more practice? What do you guys and gals do? How long till I'm as good lefty? (all one handed of course).

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
Just keep practicing - especially dry fire practice with your left hand. Being able to shoot with both hands could be really important one day. (let's hope not though)
I usually practice with both hands whenever I go to the range or dry fire practice at home. It will become more comfortable the more you do it. Oh and I still use my dominate eye for both.

·
Registered
479 Posts
When you practice on the weak hand, actively tell your body, arm, hand, fingers what to do slowly in order to develop good muscle memory. Everyone's weak hand is always going to be worse than their strong hand. The only question is how much.

Something to consider besides the obvious incapacitation of your strong side in a gun fight: CCW requires weak hand qualification.

And as GAgal stated, same dominate eye for both hands.

·
Lurker
106 Posts
Good for you shooting with your weak hand. When I took my carry class they had us shoot all different ways. My left hand was not good and it felt very awkward, all of my shots were low and inaccurate, but the instructor said to practice in case I ever need to use my left hand. And even though my shots werent as tightly grouped and they were low, if im aiming center mass im going to hit "the target"

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
So I was out shooting the other day and thought I would try my skills of my left hand. Wow do I suck. It feels real weird to shoot and still use my right eye. Should I try to train my left eye or keep using my right? I'm right handed dominate. Or do I just get more practice? What do you guys and gals do? How long till I'm as good lefty? (all one handed of course).

Everybody here has had Good Advice! Yeah just like anything it takes Practice and More Practice. Dry Fire Practice every night and it will help. Some people teach to cant the gun inboard when you shoot one handed. That is the "New and Improved" method of teaching. Try it and see if it works for you. Me I learned to shoot it straight up and down so that is how I do it! I looked for a youtube video to show the differences and I got hung upo waching Hickok videos so maybe if I find one or two during my browsing I will do it and if not and you are not sure what I am talking about with the canting of the gun then I will have the Daughter snap a pic of me canting the gun to show you. Anyway try some dry firing with the weak hand and I even practicing room clearing with both strong and weak hand! Enjoy and let us know how you are coming along!

·
Lurker
106 Posts
^ He turned it sideways, kill shot, its a kill shot Haha Ive never tried that slight cant that you are talking about, I always tried to hold the gun straight up. Next time Im at the range im going to try shooting both and figure out which one works best and is most natural

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is, I shoot left handed all the time!:D

Seriously it's just a muscle memory thing. The more you do the better it will feel. As far as the eyes go you should try to use the left eye while shooting left handed unless you have perfect binocular vision. (Basically no dominate eye. Thats very rare.)

My wife is right handed and left eye dominate. Her qualification scores were terrible till we figured this out. At 25 yards she had to close her right eye.

Closer in she had both eye open and did OK.

Being a lefty in a right handed world, I had to learn to do a lot of things with my right hand. No big deal. The more you practice the more natural it will feel.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
^ He turned it sideways, kill shot, its a kill shot Haha Ive never tried that slight cant that you are talking about, I always tried to hold the gun straight up. Next time Im at the range im going to try shooting both and figure out which one works best and is most natural
Ha Ha Ha Ha......

Anyway here is what I was talking about with the SLIGHT Cant of the pistol. Which isn't gang-banger sideways! One pic is how I shoot which is straight up and down and the other is how it is most commonly taught now a days with an inboard cant!

Hope this Helps for those really interested

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
^ Ive never tried that slight cant that you are talking about, I always tried to hold the gun straight up. Next time Im at the range im going to try shooting both and figure out which one works best and is most natural
They say it is more Natural to cant the pistol I am not sure as I have shot weak/left handed straight up and down for 25 yrs so the cant seems a little unnatural but not much. I can do it either way. As far as these New and Improved shooting methods I am usually skeptical as most or many anyway are just that Fads and I have seen a Lot of them come and go. But this is one that might just be good as I have worked with some new shooters who seem to like it better! But as always YMMV!

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
I spend more time shooting left handed than right, especially with big revolvers. It helps build up wrist, arm, & shoulder strength, which makes shooting my compound bow much easier. I've been doing it for a few years, and it feels pretty natural now.

·
Lurker
106 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is, I shoot left handed all the time!:D

Seriously it's just a muscle memory thing. The more you do the better it will feel. As far as the eyes go you should try to use the left eye while shooting left handed unless you have perfect binocular vision. (Basically no dominate eye. Thats very rare.)

My wife is right handed and left eye dominate. Her qualification scores were terrible till we figured this out. At 25 yards she had to close her right eye.

Closer in she had both eye open and did OK.

Being a lefty in a right handed world, I had to learn to do a lot of things with my right hand. No big deal. The more you practice the more natural it will feel.
I dont shoot with a dominant eye, I keep both open and I always look at my target. I can see both the target and my front sight. Then again, I have always had the ability to control both eye muscles individually, I can look at two things at once.

·
Registered
422 Posts
A slight side-note: If you want a challenge, try shooting a rifle or shotgun with your 'off' side.
Several years ago I lost vision in my right eye due to a brain tumor. I had just started shooting sporting clays with a shotgun, too!
The next summer out, I first tried shooting righty -- but "sighting" with my left eye. I tried adjusting where the muzzle was in relation to the moving clay to get the right amount of "wrong eyeball offset". That failed miserably.

In the end, I had to learn to shoot the shotgun left-handed. That was quite a challenge! After doing that switch, and shooting many more rounds of clays, my scores are back up to where they were when both eyes worked and I shot right-handed. It just took a lot of getting used to.

That's when I bought my Desert Eagle to use for deer hunting. I can still hold the gun right-handed. I hold it slightly left of where I used to, and I shift my head slightly right. I'm then able to sight properly with my left eye. I use that same technique with my other pistols, including the Glock.

In an odd way, it's kind of nice not worrying about which eye is dominant!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am left handed. I recently took my conceal carry course. It was run by all veterans. One good thing they did was have us shoot left and right handed! Both single handed and doubled handed. They also had us shoot with alternating eyes being shut. As I said I am left handed and found that my dominant eye is my right eye! I can shoot with both eyes but a bit more accurate with using my right eye! I am glad the instructors made us shoot both hands and eyes!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I am left handed. I recently took my conceal carry course. It was run by all veterans. One good thing they did was have us shoot left and right handed! Both single handed and doubled handed. They also had us shoot with alternating eyes being shut. As I said I am left handed and found that my dominant eye is my right eye! I can shoot with both eyes but a bit more accurate with using my right eye! I am glad the instructors made us shoot both hands and eyes!
I understand shooting both strong and weak handed but why close an eye? I shoot everything including Sniper Rifle with both eyes open. Did they say why they wanted you to close the other eye?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Awesome Post! Glad you were able to Improvise Adapt and Overcome! You should be a Motivational Speaker. I am always impressed with how well some people can adapt when something happens to them then I see these Turds who complain about anything and blame everyone else! Good For you!

A slight side-note: If you want a challenge, try shooting a rifle or shotgun with your 'off' side.
Several years ago I lost vision in my right eye due to a brain tumor. I had just started shooting sporting clays with a shotgun, too!
The next summer out, I first tried shooting righty -- but "sighting" with my left eye. I tried adjusting where the muzzle was in relation to the moving clay to get the right amount of "wrong eyeball offset". That failed miserably.

In the end, I had to learn to shoot the shotgun left-handed. That was quite a challenge! After doing that switch, and shooting many more rounds of clays, my scores are back up to where they were when both eyes worked and I shot right-handed. It just took a lot of getting used to.

That's when I bought my Desert Eagle to use for deer hunting. I can still hold the gun right-handed. I hold it slightly left of where I used to, and I shift my head slightly right. I'm then able to sight properly with my left eye. I use that same technique with my other pistols, including the Glock.

In an odd way, it's kind of nice not worrying about which eye is dominant!

·
Registered
523 Posts
sgtcowboyusmc said:
I understand shooting both strong and weak handed but why close an eye? I shoot everything including Sniper Rifle with both eyes open. Did they say why they wanted you to close the other eye?
Some people are not able to focus on the target with both eyes open, including myself. It is easy for me with the red dot but I can tell you that I cannot shoot both eyes open

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dont shoot with a dominant eye, I keep both open and I always look at my target. I can see both the target and my front sight. Then again, I have always had the ability to control both eye muscles individually, I can look at two things at once.
Your the exception not the rule. The average person will see a side shift when the close their dominate eye.

The first thing I do to a new shooter is determine their dominate eye.

It's a simple test. I tell them to hold up a finger and center it on say a blank TV screen. I then have them close one eye then the other. The eye where the finger DOES NOT SHIFT is the dominate eye.

For CQB I use both eyes also. But once I start shooting at range I need to close one eye.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts