shooting groups 1 inch right

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by ambeck1, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

i cant understand my glock. i shoot groups all day but its 1 inch right of where im aiming. what would be the cause? is it the glock sights? i slightly moved them left just a hair. any ideas???

2. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

What distance?

To accurately pin down the cause as being the Glock, you would need a sight adjustment tool and a laser boresighter. Do you have access to any of these?

3. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

no not a bore sight. im no novice to shooting, i just dont see why im hitting major groups 1 inch right of where i am aiming.

4. codemanod

codemanod New Member

Are you left handed?

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

1. which hand are you shooting with (right or left?)
    2. how do you position your trigger finger, with the fleshy pad on the trigger, or the first joint?
    3. where is your support hand located, and how are the fingers placed.

Now, this is important, manually adjusting the rear sight (for left-right drift) is very difficult without a laser boresighter, but I must ask: did you move the sight left or right?

6. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

IM a lefty
    fleshy pad
    along my shooting hand thumbs aligned pointer on the front of the trigger guard

after shooting i moved it a hair left to move my right groups center. I look closely at the glock and looked to me that it was slightly right not centered.

7. Gen4new-guy

Gen4new-guy New Member

Lefty ....nuff said..my girl is a lefty.. Same issue ...tight all day (groups that is) but mirrored as to normal... All rights seem to shoot left until the trigger is sorted..... IMHO

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Try taking your finger off the front of the triggerguard.

9. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

So im doing something wrong when i squeeze the trigger?? I just dont see how i can be hitting the same holes over and over but its one in right of where i am aiming im soo confused

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

That may be the problem right there!

Your support hand should be thus:
    4 fingers (index, fore, ring and pinky) together, thumb pointing up (like a hand salute, but stick the thumb up in the air);
    place top of index finger DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH the trigger guard;
    position the fingertips over the shooting hand, and wrap rest of support hand rearwards; this should press the fingers of your shooting hand into the handgrip;
    place support hand thumb over (or underneath) thumb of shooting hand.

Grip should be firm and solid, without having to "clench" upon the handgrips.

I can post pics (in a coupla hours), if you need them.

Try that and let us know if it works out for you!

11. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

When was i was at the range i was trying different style of grip to see which i shoot better in. Ill go back to that grip and see in im doing something wrong with the trigger control. thanks

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

And then, as you aim, PUSH OUT towards the target with your shooting hand, from the shoulder (imagine yourself punching the bad guy, throw the punch from the shoulder), while PULLING BACK with the support hand.

Make sure the pistol is following a line straight out along your arm (imagine a line going from shooting hand elbow, down to wrist, along barrel, to target); this ensures the wrist is held in a naturally straight attitude that both helps with recoil management, un-aimed (not using front sight) follow-up shots, and point shooting. With practice dry-firing as well as live fire, that is. :)

The push-pull action helps stabilize the gun.

The shooting hand takes the weight of the pistol.

The support hand deals with left-right-up-down motion to aim.

Now, let me ask: do your POI match POA when you use any other firearm? If hits are OK with another gun, chances are it is your rear sight outta whack. If you consistently throw rounds to the right of POA, it is your grip.

A support finger on the trigger guard has the effect of pulling the gun, moments before firing, towards the side of that finger. In your case, it would pull to the right, as demonstrated by the POI. This occurs when the hands "clench" upon the grip as the trigger is being travelled rearwards in the process of firing. Only practice can correct this.

13. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

Yes when i shoot my friends ruger in dead on point, also when i shoot my snub nose i dead accurate. My kahr on the other i just got so im not to great with that yet. When i shoot my 22 pistols im dead on point also. That why i kinda figured the glock dove tail my be off a hair.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Is your support index finger on the trigger guard as well on the other pistols?

15. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

If answer to my previous post is YES, then you will most likely need to take her to a 'smith to get the sights aligned (probably cost you $50 ???) or invest in a laser boresighter with arbor to fit in your Glock's chamber. What model of Glock is it, by the way?

16. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

yes minus the revolver.could it be that the glock is to wide for my hands? I wish i could shoot glock like the revolver. The finger on the trigger guard is a new thing i picked up and im not attached to it at all.:eek:

17. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Do not get too attached to it, it is generally not good shooting practice.

HOWEVER, and I see this every FA class we have that has some old guy in it, if the shots are spot-on even with the finger ON the trigger guard, we leave it be. It is obvious that that shooter is already (thru practice) able to deliver accurate hits, and it is harder to "un-learn" bad habbits. In the final analysis, the proof is in the neat little holes in center body mass.

18. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

Ill try all the tips you gave me. I am quite new to shooting pistols only about 2 years and the pistols i have are brand new to me. I know with practice i will be able to get better groups. Now put a rifle in my hand and im a Marksman all day. Ive been using the competition shooting stance, square with the target and drawing the weapon from the chest straight to the target. is this not good? do i need like combat stance? power arms straight and line my sight down my arm like a rifle.

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Within limits, anything that remains within the realm of safe firearm handling, and works for you, is good. Not all shooters shoot alike.

I would for now recommend you get a competent gunsmith to look at your Glock. Hmmm....you never did say what model it is....

20. ambeck1

ambeck1 New Member

OOO its a glock 37. I could of swore i said that.:D ill see if i can find a a bore sight.