Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought this might be helpful for some to get an idea on some things that might be good in a first aid kit or a IFAK

I started off with a MyMedic Sidekick first aid pouch. Small and compact at approx 7.5” tall x 5” wide and about 3” thick after i have everything packed away. Now it normally only comes with some general first aid stuff but i removed most of it and added in my own trauma supplies from MyMedic as well. Transformed it from a first aid pouch into my IFAK. Heres a complete list of everything in my IFAK. Took a few hours of arranging for everything to fit as compact as possible. I plan to store my SOF tourniquet on a vest along with this IFAK. You cant see it all but i promise its all in there lol.

• (1) 55” x 83” Emergency Blanket
• (2) 6.5” x 6.5” Vented Chest Seals
• (4) MicroMend Cut Closures
• (2) ZZips Cut Closures
• (2) QuikClot Z-Fold Gauze 3” x 2’
• (1) QuikClot Rolled Dressing 3” x 4’
• (1) 5” x 9” Trauma Pad
• (2) 4” x 4” Gauze Pads
• (4) 2” x 2” Gauze Pads
• (4) 2” x 2” Non Adherent Gauze Pads
• (2) 2” Gauze Rolls Unknown Length
• (1) 4.5” x 12’ Compressed Gauze
• (1) 1” x 30’ Cloth Tape
• (1) 2” x 26” Duct Tape
• (1) Pair Of Emt Shears
• (3) 1” x 3” SuperSkin Blister Strips
• (6) 1” x 3” SuperSkin Band Aids
• (4) Antiseptic Wipes
• (3) Small Antibiotic Ointment Packs
• (1) Pair Of Nitrile Gloves
• (4) 200mg Ibuprofen Tablets
• (2) 325mg Aspirin Tablets
• (2) Water Disinfection Tablets

Font Communication Device Rectangle Art Gadget

Sleeve Luggage and bags Beige Bag Pattern

Luggage and bags Automotive lighting Bag Font Fashion accessory

· Premium Member
15,178 Posts
I just got this kit from LA Police Gear. In addition to what is listed in the index, got 3 tourniquets (RATS Gen 2 from amazon), two Israeli bandages (Amazon), and quick clot (Amazon).

I am new to all this, signed up for a course to get practical hands on training. Not really sure how to best organize all this.

View attachment 281770
Those are pretty good kits!

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got this kit from LA Police Gear. In addition to what is listed in the index, got 3 tourniquets (RATS Gen 2 from amazon), two Israeli bandages (Amazon), and quick clot (Amazon).

I am new to all this, signed up for a course to get practical hands on training. Not really sure how to best organize all this.

View attachment 281770
it takes a lot of arranging, i try to arrange it where its the thinnest possible when closed, sometimes thats difficult though, on some of the items you might find it helpful to cut some of the excess packaging away to help free up room, on sealed packs i like to leave about a 1/8” to 3/16” border and cut the excess packaging off

· Registered
191 Posts
Great thread! A couple examples of my ifak's. I have several placed in vehicles, on kit, in range bags and around the house. All contain a TQ (cat gen7 or sof-t), gloves, scissors, quikclot packing gauze, compressed gauze, vented chest seals, 4" emergency ( izzy)bandage, nasopharyngeal airway and a mylar blanket. These are not booboo bags, these are just basic tools to hopefully buy someone enough time to get to proper medical care. More important than kit is training! Let's say someone has a sucking chest wound, I would rather have a doritos bag and a piece of tape AND know what to do with it than have a proper chest seal and no idea whatsoever of how to apply it.
Glove Sleeve Wood Wool Fashion accessory
Wood Rectangle Gas Hardwood Pattern

· Registered
720 Posts
More important than kit is training! Let's say someone has a sucking chest wound, I would rather have a doritos bag and a piece of tape AND know what to do with it than have a proper chest seal and no idea whatsoever of how to apply it.
Yeah, the training. I think you nailed it, I plan to get serious about this. My employer provides for CPR training but I want to take it beyond that and get hands on training on how to deal with gun shot wounds etc., using the stuff I have. It's just like having an arsenal of guns but never train with it. How do you know how to use it when the sh** hits the fan?

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great thread! A couple examples of my ifak's. I have several placed in vehicles, on kit, in range bags and around the house. All contain a TQ (cat gen7 or sof-t), gloves, scissors, quikclot packing gauze, compressed gauze, vented chest seals, 4" emergency ( izzy)bandage, nasopharyngeal airway and a mylar blanket. These are not booboo bags, these are just basic tools to hopefully buy someone enough time to get to proper medical care. More important than kit is training! Let's say someone has a sucking chest wound, I would rather have a doritos bag and a piece of tape AND know what to do with it than have a proper chest seal and no idea whatsoever of how to apply it. View attachment 281824 View attachment 281825
Its not rocket science lol videos will provide you with enough knowledge to preform basic trauma first aid. Not saying taking a class is bad but not everyone may have access to classes that show specific first aid such as chest wounds, lacerations or major bleeding. And even if you do find a class that is offered if you only take it one time then in 6 months you have probably forgotten what you learned. The videos you can rewatch as much as you want and are free

· Grumpy Old Man
11,425 Posts
Its not rocket science lol videos will provide you with enough knowledge to preform basic trauma first aid. Not saying taking a class is bad but not everyone may have access to classes that show specific first aid such as chest wounds, lacerations or major bleeding. And even if you do find a class that is offered if you only take it one time then in 6 months you have probably forgotten what you learned. The videos you can rewatch as much as you want and are free

Thanks for bringing that to our attention ! Don't know about anybody else but the internet is a learning curve for me !

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for bringing that to our attention ! Don't know about anybody else but the internet is a learning curve for me !
there is definitely bad info out there, but most if not all first aid trauma supplies have instructions on them. I do agree with @pr5992 that a course is the best possible learning especially with hands on but if classes arent readily available in your area information can also be supplemented with good videos or even books on first aid.

· Registered
720 Posts
Added these to my first aid kit. Israeli compression bandages and naloxone hydrochloride (Narcan) to treat an opioid overdose. The nalaxone is covered by my health insurance, cost me nothing. You might want to consider adding it to your kit as well, not so much for yourself but to help a friend or really anyone. Could make the difference between life and death, especially if it takes more than a few minutes for the medics to arrive after you call 911. Easy to administer and it won't do harm even if you are not sure whether someone passed out because of an OD or another cause, according to my pharmacist. The opioids crisis is real, and it's not just in big cities (West Virginia, Ohio, you name it).

Sleeve Bag Font Event Fashion accessory

· Registered
720 Posts
Now here's something you may not have considered adding to your kit: an AED or automated external defibrillator. These are expensive but they may save someone's life, especially if you are in a remote area and the ambulance can't get to the patient quickly. Watch the video below by Warrior Poet Society, someone who was in rifle training had a heart attack. Two paramedic students who took the class as well were able to save him, they happened to have an AED in their car. Quite a story!

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now here's something you may not have considered adding to your kit: an AED or automated external defibrillator. These are expensive but they may save someone's life, especially if you are in a remote area and the ambulance can't get to the patient quickly. Watch the video below by Warrior Poet Society, someone who was in rifle training had a heart attack. Two paramedic students who took the class as well were able to save him, they happened to have an AED in their car. Quite a story!

im actually surprised they dont make people pass a stress test before doing it

· Registered
720 Posts
im actually surprised they dont make people pass a stress test before doing it
You mean, make people who want to take a rifle class, pass a stress test? I'm not sure how you would do that ... this was a 60 year old male who seemed healthy and was able to do drills, run, etc.

You never really know what could happen. My dad had a heart attack back in 1996, while staying with my brother and his wife and kids, in the South of France. He shared a bedroom with one of the kids, who was still very young at the time. Kid woke up crying around 3 am, which in turn woke up my dad and my brother. That was fortuitous because a little bit later, my dad had to sit down complaining of chest pain that radiated through his arm. Before you know it he passed out. Brother calls 911 (actually 112, the European equivalent) and 2 minutes later the local French fire department medics came rushing to their holiday home (God bless them). They had to rescuscitate him twice with a defibrillator before they could get to the ER. He had no prior heart health history. Things happen.

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mean, make people who want to take a rifle class, pass a stress test? I'm not sure how you would do that ... this was a 60 year old male who seemed healthy and was able to do drills, run, etc.

You never really know what could happen. My dad had a heart attack back in 1996, while staying with my brother and his wife and kids, in the South of France. He shared a bedroom with one of the kids, who was still very young at the time. Kid woke up crying around 3 am, which in turn woke up my dad and my brother. That was fortuitous because a little bit later, my dad had to sit down complaining of chest pain that radiated through his arm. Before you know it he passed out. Brother calls 911 (actually 112, the European equivalent) and 2 minutes later the local French fire department medics came rushing to their holiday home (God bless them). They had to rescuscitate him twice with a defibrillator before they could get to the ER. He had no prior heart health history. Things happen.
im just saying, doing all that with gear on, under pressure and stressed about your performance its a wonder why it doesnt happen more. A big liability for the training companies

· Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m sure they make you sign waivers.
very true, i know its easy to say oh i can run so its no problem but im sure depending on the instructor you get can almost be like a drill sargent and be intimidating so it would add heightened levels of stress. Let alone the adrenaline can cause issues as well

· Premium Member
15,178 Posts
very true, i know its easy to say oh i can run so its no problem but im sure depending on the instructor you get can almost be like a drill sargent and be intimidating so it would add heightened levels of stress. Let alone the adrenaline can cause issues as well
Oh, I don’t disagree with that aspect of your statement at all. I’m sure their are guys that get in over their head in some of those classes.

· Grumpy Old Man
11,425 Posts
Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Font Travel

This is the kit that stays in my work Truck at all times ! As a Pro shooter you learn very quickly that the job can turn to Sh#t very quickly ! I also carry splints ! More to immobilise limbs that have been bitten by snakes (a common hazard )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts