Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you tried to list magazines (Glock, AR, or otherwise) on eBay?

I tried to sell an AR mag on eBay and the listing was pulled. They sent me a message claiming they removed it because I was "selling a weapon".

I'd read some stuff about being able to list 30 round magazines ostensibly as 10 rounders to circumvent the rules, but I'm not sure I want to risk my account being suspended as I make a little money on there off of random things I sell.

So, any thoughts?

And mods, if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to the proper forum location.

·
Banned
147 Posts
I noticed eBay had added gun stuff, with about a thousand rules connected with it, last week. News to me. Someone told me eBay just relaxed the no gun stuff a month or two ago.

I saw a lr-308 10 round mag going for over one hundred bucks. 138 I think it sold for. I listed the exact same mag, for buy it now 129. It sold, PayPal. Three hours after I mail it off, eBay sends me a nasty note saying I was selling assault weapons and not to do it again. They let me keep the pay pal funds, but removed the listing, even though someone purchased the item already. That removed tracking, removed my ability to contact the buyer. Not good business.

I got my money, but the rules clearly state 10 round mags ok, and others sold and all was well. I do it, in good standing from Jan 2000 and was told not to do it again. I also sold a 4 round mag, no issues.

It is the wild west now, at eBay with gun stuff.

I called them, and some kid would not answer my questions, just read me the rules.

I won't list gun stuff again, as they don't know what is what, and it is a cluster f

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically, I shouldn't relist if I want to keep my account? This is so stupid. I guess I can try Gunbroker... I could have made some money off that mag if eBay wasn't so dickish about their rules.

Apparently to eBay, a spring held in place by a follower, aluminum, and a floor-plate somehow classifies as a firearm.

I can understand if they have those rules as far as shipping to MA, MD, CA, NY, NJ, DC, CT, and NY are concerned- but it should be the buyer's responsibility to understand state and local law as it regards to magazine capacities.

Thanks for your input. It's just a damned shame we're being persecuted by them. Then again, I guess they're a private business and we can vote with our dollars if we see fit. Sucks for us sellers who derive income from it, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sold around twenty 30 round magazines before they caught on and suspended my account for one day. I talked to other sellers and asked how they get away with it and the common response was to post a picture of the magazine taken apart and put in the title that it is "magazine replacement parts". Then in the description, state that it is indeed a complete magazine, brand new in package, and state that you are circumventing their policies...... They scan titles and pictures, not descriptions... Hope this helps.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Funny, you get away with doing it wrong, and I got a reprimand for doing it by the rules. Because so many people break the rules, I was pulled over and was doing nothing wrong. People doing the wrong thing, hurts everyone. Go to gunbroker and get off eBay. Would be my advice to you.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Funny, you get away with doing it wrong, and I got a reprimand for doing it by the rules. Because so many people break the rules, I was pulled over and was doing nothing wrong. People doing the wrong thing, hurts everyone. Go to gunbroker and get off eBay. Would be my advice to you.
Perfect metaphor for how poorly "gun control" works. The people trying to do it right get punshined, whilst the people "breaking the law" get profit. :rolleyes:

If you do make side money and you chose not to use the loophole, then i'd put the mag on craigslist. Mags and such still sell on craigslist.

There's plenty of gun parts and accessories for sale on ebay though. It's strange how some people get singled out over others.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What a bout selling a coffee mug or ball cap for the price you are selling the PMags for and list the ad as follows:

For sale: 1 coffee mug and one free PMag for $50.00 (or whatever you are trying to sell it for). :D

You are giving the mags away for free so to speak, it's just an expensive coffee mug.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've also attempted to sell magazines for my AR in eScam and they also were pulled and if course I received the letter. But if you do a search you will see quite a few magazines still lusted and selling. You can search AR15 Magazines, Magpul and whatever else relates to an AR15 magazine and several Auctions will show up. Beats me how certain sellers get away with and others get their Auctions pulled.

Joe

·
Banned
147 Posts
Funny thing, mine was a ten round, and it sold, and the following Monday, three hours after I mail it off with a paypal address label on a box, the listing was pulled. I have no way to find out if the mag got to where it was headed, no feedback score, I only have the money, and a message from eBay saying I violated their policies, which I did not!!!! I have sold on their almost 14 years, not going to jeopardize that relationship to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's sick, isn't it?

I'm trying to list them on Armslist, but it appears the boom is over. I should probably just return them to the store I bought them from. Yes, I was trying to make money on the boom and I had TWELVE watchers on my listing, but because in all their infinite wisdom eBay has to be anti-2A, that's probably my most prudent decision at the moment- to return them.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
You know what I find funnily disturbing in all this?

eBay keeps sending me (daily, sometimes several times a day) email reminders on "new items listed" and they are mostly magazines and AR accessories.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm getting side-bars for Glock Armorer sellers on there now. I guess I'm lower-hanging fruit because I only have 91 rated transactions in two years of being a seller.

They know where their bread is buttered and a random seller who happens to sell odds and ends doesn't matter to eBay in the long run. I'd imagine if I was a bigger seller, they'd be less likely to be giving me citations for trying to sell 30 rd mags.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting side-bars for Glock Armorer sellers on there now. I guess I'm lower-hanging fruit because I only have 91 rated transactions in two years of being a seller.

They know where their bread is buttered and a random seller who happens to sell odds and ends doesn't matter to eBay in the long run. I'd imagine if I was a bigger seller, they'd be less likely to be giving me citations for trying to sell 30 rd mags.
And that's horse dung, but that's corporate America for you. We don't treat our customers like that. We are a family business and one customer is as important as the next.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Today I ran across a 30 round plastic AR clip on eBay. I flagged it, to see what would happen. I tried returning to that page, and it was pulled. However, the eBay server tossed me to a search page with dozens of 30 round AR clips for sale. Maybe hundreds.

EBay is not being consistent with their policies. They need to get in the gun business, Or get out of it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed. If they are going to pull my listing, they better pull the listings of everyone else. I sort of feel singled out.

Do they not realize the profit potential of allowing people to sell at the least, magazines? I've seen some go for over $100. (As you may know) eBay takes a 9% selling fee on the total your item sells for. Say I was to sell one of those mags for $100. $9 to eBay. Now multiply that $9 fee, if not more- by THOUSANDS of listings a week... eBay is shooting themselves in the foot, no pun intended. So is PayPal for that matter and I understand they're not all too friendly to people doing business with firearms, which is funny because PayPal's initial founder is a staunch libertarian who gave a few million to Ron Paul's campaign... then again, I guess companies cave to political pressure from a very small segment of the country. The DC, NYC, LA, San Francisco, and affluent east and west coast people- who are sadly the power-brokers. They could care less about Joe Sixpack in Indiana or wherever. It just disgusts me, as I'm sure it does others on this forum. I guess I'll give my business to the GF, Armslist, and Gunbroker from now on.

I'm sorry if that came off as rambling.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
37,050 Posts
AR10 said:
Today I ran across a 30 round plastic AR clip on eBay. I flagged it, to see what would happen. I tried returning to that page, and it was pulled. However, the eBay server tossed me to a search page with dozens of 30 round AR clips for sale. Maybe hundreds.

EBay is not being consistent with their policies. They need to get in the gun business, Or get out of it.
They need to let people buy and sell whatever they want within the law. Not some made up rules of their own.

·
Kicking Up Dust
1,420 Posts
Nah, I'm good. I haven't read a magazine in years.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts