Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a .45, opinions/ pros and cons on self defense ammo. I have a box of Hornady Critical Defense that a guy gave me because he sold his .45. How are these?

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Hornaday makes great rounds..

There is also a few good threads on going with this topic they you may find very useful, just type it into the search.

I would also suggest trying some of tntoutdoors9's you tube videos. He test a ton of different self defense rounds in all kinds of calibers.

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
oneshot_onekill said:
Thanks I'll check it out!
No problem! I think you'll really like his channel, some really great stuff!

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
chilly613 said:
Hornaday is good. I use that or Winchester Ranger Ts.
Another great choice! I would add I've been pretty happy with Spear Gold Dots.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
glocknloaded said:
Another great choice! I would add I've been pretty happy with Spear Gold Dots.
Only problem is I can only find Ranger Ts and Gold Dots at gun shows. Hornaday I see everywhere, even Walmart.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Critical Duty is a better round than Critical Defense. I carried Zombie Max (Critical Defense) for a while, but a forum discussion made me research Hornady. The Critical Duty impressed me. There are tons of independent reviews on ammo. Do not take some forum commando's opinion (except mine :) ).

·
Click Click Boom
45,268 Posts
Do not take some forum commando's opinion (except mine :) ).[/QUOTE]

Haha!! Another reason I always suggest watching actual ballistics test of any ammo in question

·
Registered
190 Posts
Winchester PDX1 DEFENCE AMMO. also I have black talons in 9mm and have other 9mm that I cannot say what it is because its highly illegal. All I can say is that its armor piercing lol

·
771 Posts
Is It Really Worth It?

Winchester PDX1 DEFENCE AMMO. also I have black talons in 9mm and have other 9mm that I cannot say what it is because its highly illegal. All I can say is that its armor piercing lol
Can never tell when you run into an armor-clad BG, huh? Seriously, I dont think I would want to be in a legal encounter where I had used an illegal round..Might be a justified shoot, but in some jurisdictions, possession of illegal ammunition (like hollowpoints in NJ) is a felony....Not worth taking the fall..My legal factory ammunition does everything I ask of it, dont have to go exotic and jeopardize my legal standing..

I consider my ability to carry a concealed weapon a priviledge enabled by the 2nd amendment. If I expect others to respect my rights GUARANTEED by law, I will follow the law as well...

·
"The Sarge"
668 Posts
Federal HST in 230gr standard pressure 45ACP is my recommendation. Go to www.le.atk.com which is the Federal/Speer Law Enforcement Site. See the ballistic testing data and videos done professionally. Bill

·
Glockophile since '95
6 Posts
Hey guys. I have a .45, opinions/ pros and cons on self defense ammo. I have a box of Hornady Critical Defense that a guy gave me because he sold his .45. How are these?

I'm currently using Hornady Critical Defense in my HD G27 pistol and haven't had a malfunction in a few hundred rounds fired. I'm currently using +P Corbon DPX in my SD G21 and haven't had any malfunctions in a few hundred rounds fired. Feed reliability combined with shot placement is more important than brand, though.

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
Thesarge said:
Federal HST in 230gr standard pressure 45ACP is my recommendation. Go to www.le.atk.com which is the Federal/Speer Law Enforcement Site. See the ballistic testing data and videos done professionally. Bill
I use 147 grn +P HSTs in my 19. I really like Federal ammo. I second going to tnoutdoors YouTube page, you will get a lot of good information!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't think Hornaday's critical duty came in .45? I thought we were talking about .45, the thing I like the most is critical defense, is there critical duty in.45 because if so I'd love to know where to get it. I have heard good news about Speer gold dot but if you can't find it anywhere that deters me a little.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
glocknloaded said:
Hornaday makes great rounds..

There is also a few good threads on going with this topic they you may find very useful, just type it into the search.

I would also suggest trying some of tntoutdoors9's you tube videos. He test a ton of different self defense rounds in all kinds of calibers.
Just finished watching some of his videos... I think I'm switching to Federal HST, that expansion on the bullet is huge compared to most of the others.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
savage22 said:
I didn't think Hornaday's critical duty came in .45? I thought we were talking about .45, the thing I like the most is critical defense, is there critical duty in.45 because if so I'd love to know where to get it. I have heard good news about Speer gold dot but if you can't find it anywhere that deters me a little.
I'm in California, you're hard pressed to find anything gun related worth buying as a civilian.

·
46 Posts
45 use Black Talons that I bought years ago. 40 just jacketed hollow point I loaded up think there speer been so long cant remember anymore, for my 9mm need to get some defense rounds will probably go with hornady.

·
Meatmist
375 Posts
I got shot in the leg with a Speer gold dot .38 special +p and it did not expand at all. Good for me but I don't trust it's capabilities any more...just my opinion

1 - 20 of 70 Posts