Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have large hands and the G17 fits fine and I've shot it. I have multiple mags for it. The other day, I held a G19 at the LGS; it fit snugly in my hands. For home defense which would be either open carry on the hip or maybe AIWB, does it matter which one I have?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I absolutely don't think a Glock 17 is something I would want to carry in an AIWB position. Seems to me like it would really make lots of normal movement almost impossible, not to say uncomfortable at the least. Glock 19 might be a little better but still not what I would want to carry that way.

I have a Glock 19 and carry it at about the 3 or 4 o'clock position both in a paddle holster for open carry and IWB for concealed carry.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I have large hands and the G17 fits fine and I've shot it. I have multiple mags for it. The other day, I held a G19 at the LGS; it fit snugly in my hands. For home defense which would be either open carry on the hip or maybe AIWB, does it matter which one I have?
Have you considered a G45? Same grip as the G17, with a slide the same size as the G19.
Which other Glock do you own?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I own one Glock, a Gen3 Model 17.

The Glock 45 (9 mm, right, not the Glock 21 in .45 ACP?), looks interesting, but I'm in California and it's not on the legal roster to buy new (all Gen4 and Gen5 Glocks are off-roster):

I know that, according to Maggie, an LGS owner-guest on the YouTube channel Gods, Guns, and Country, that Glocks are the #1 gun sold back to gun shops since the pandemic, apparently due to owners' discomfort with its lack of manual safety, though I suspect that they were uncomfortable with actually shooting it at the range and reluctant to use it in self-defense. In any case, I can't find any used Glocks at my local LGS (not sure if the warranty is transferable).

California's so-called "safety" roster's constitutionality is being challenged, but it may take a couple years to overturn this textbook common NON-sense gun law.

I've also been looking at the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm with 3" barrel, which is (still) on the roster. Unlike Glock's 1 year warranty, S&W has a lifetime warranty and, at least for the AR15s they sell, another forum says that S&W is really good about honoring the warranty.

However, the Shield's manual of arms, manual safety, 8 round capacity, expensive mags, and 6.5 lb trigger are a little different than the Glock and, of course, I can't use my Glock 17 mags or open hip holster in the Shield, whereas they should fit, albeit stick out, on the G19. Does anyone have the Shield?

I'm also open to the G21/.45 ACP and G22/.40 S&W, but have reservations. .45 ACP ammo was out of stock when I went to buy my Glock back in August, so I bought the G17, which the LGS had 9mm ammo for .45 ACP is really hard to find, .40 S&W only a little less.

I've read from several sources that Glock's .40 S&W is frame intolerant, bends the locking block pins prematurely, and credible armorer reports of .40 S&W Glocks blowing up (acc Greg Ellifritz). However, I don't know if the blowing up is entirely due to the shooters accidentally loading 9mm in the .40 S&W barrel. Although I am aware of that problem, if cops with more firearms training can make this mistake, I don't see myself as 100% immune from making that error, given that I have lots of 9mm ammo and the possibility that an SHTF scenario might cause me to make that mistake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks. Are those slide on, or would I have to remove the bottom plate? Also, if I put Glock 17 mags on it, can I still use the mag and X-Grip Spacer on my G17 gun?

FYI, I'm in California and it's my understanding that it's not even legal for me to own a magazine extender, eg a product that adds extra rounds to a 10 round mag. That's another example of common NON-sense gun laws.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
I've carried IWB appendix since the late 60's. 1911's long before Glocks, then G19's, G17's, G31's and even a G20. Carry has nothing to do with the size of the gun, it has more to do with body shape.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
If I were you, I would check again to see how the G19 fits in your hands. Who knows? You might be ok with it with regular G19 magazines. You are limited to 10 rounds anyway.
If you have a permit to carry in California and that is the main purpose of the second gun, the G19 should be easier to carry.
G19 for carry. G17 for home defense/shtf.
Btw, nothing wrong with having just one caliber (9mm).

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Original capacity magazines are not restricted in CA for use or possession as long as you owned them before 2000. The G19 and the G17 have the same section thickness, only the slide and frame is longer.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
I also have a Shield, it runs fine but is no Glock. Firing a 9mm in a 40S&W does not KB a Glock, it fires just fine but makes 'guppy' brass, same as 40S&W in a .45acp. In the way, way back, the very first Glock 22's had more barrel ramp angle than the new ones. Combined with the original Federal ammo, which was way too hot, yea, we blew up a couple at the academy. But KB's are not usually from that, it's almost exclusively a bullet setback problem, even at .060" the pressure can go up drastically. And any gun can KB, not just Glocks. Over the decades I've eye witnessed many a 1911 KB. And at least a Glock barfs all the shrapnel down the mag well instead of trying to throw the hammer in you face....

9mm fired in a 40S&W. The reason it does not do anything is the pressure cannot build up in a chamber that is too big. I actually ran 10 rounds of 9mm in one of my G22's, and they are reasonably accurate at 7 yards, but chrono'd well below normal 9mm velocities.

Tin Tin can Metal Cylinder Bronze

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
FYI, I'm in California and it's my understanding that it's not even legal for me to own a magazine extender, eg a product that adds extra rounds to a 10 round mag. That's another example of common NON-sense gun laws.
A mag extender (spacer sleeve for a G19 using a G17 mag is not illegal) but a magazine extension that adds rounds to any Glock mag is illegal in CA,

USPSA Limited and Carry Optics Division 141.25 mm magazine with plus 6 (5 in 40S&W) extension.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to the shooting range a couple days ago. Someone let me shoot his factory stock Glock 19 with 9mm factory ammo. Strangely, my groups of 10 shots with the Glock 19 were clearly much tighter and on target than subsequent shots of 40 shots with my Glock 17 with factory ammo. Recoil/muzzle climb was tolerable, but I installed a tungsten guide rod and had an LED/laser light attached. Any idea why I shot the Glock 19 better?

·
Super Moderator
63,799 Posts
I went to the shooting range a couple days ago. Someone let me shoot his factory stock Glock 19 with 9mm factory ammo. Strangely, my groups of 10 shots with the Glock 19 were clearly much tighter and on target than subsequent shots of 40 shots with my Glock 17 with factory ammo. Recoil/muzzle climb was tolerable, but I installed a tungsten guide rod and had an LED/laser light attached. Any idea why I shot the Glock 19 better?
The G19 is a superior weapon and you proved it.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Recoil/muzzle climb was tolerable, but I installed a tungsten guide rod and had an LED/laser light attached. Any idea why I shot the Glock 19 better?
If you are talking about 3-15 yards, and slow shooting (not timed), the G19 will hold smaller groups because of the tighter lockup of the RSA. If you compare the G19 to the G17 locking block, you will see the G19 RSA is a shorter distance. Not knowing what your grip is, could also be you were starting to tire after 40 rounds on the G17.

And as already pointed out. you would expect to have smaller groups with the G26 because the lockup is even shorter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts